Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Texas live oak (want seeds)

poaky1
12 years ago

quercus fusiformis is also native to Oklahoma and I wandered if anyone had any seed to sell/give. I don't have anything to swap.

Comments (19)

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

You might try posting this on the Texas Forum. The latest post is titled "Ouch, acorns falling on my head". Lots of people are interested in native plants down there and there seems to be more native plant/seed swapping going on. Offer a self addressed stamped padded envelope if you don't have anything to swap.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have them growing on my land. I have Escarpment wild oaks, Quercus fusiformis. I get lots of seedlings sprouting. There is a bug that eats into the acorns so collecting the corns, can be aggravating. One thinks the acorns are good and then one looks at them a month later and they all have holes.

Oh there is a great deal of intergrades of the two species of live Oask in Austin, east of me. They have both varieties native to this local. The fusilformis is out where I am and the Q. virginiana is more in the town and east of town. The soil totally changes as you travel east. I can collect them as they fall if you want. catching them at the mall , one gets them more bug free, I discovered. I collected some and sent them to France a couple of years ago.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I picked up 6 acorns on my walk today after reading your post and realized I can get seeds easily. There are scads of them piled up in the street and on the sidewalk. These looked real clean and some were splitting open at the tops exposing a nice white nut inside and no signs of insects. Its from a large mature tree about 40+ feet tall with a broad rounded top. Obviously very old, like this neighborhood. I'm not positive what kind (I'm pretty sure its Q. fusiformis, small dark green leaves, evergreen, black/brown trunk, dense shade) and preforms good in Oklahoma.

There are a quite few of these trees around the park where I walk and they all looked good during the drought. I don't want to post my e-mail here so if you want to post yours or put it on your page, I can contact you and give you my address for you to send a self addressed postage paid envelope and send as many as you want. I will take a closer look at the leaves, maybe wantanamara can help positively ID it. Checking the "Native Plants of Texas" book, this is the closest match.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cactus garden I will reimburse you if you send them to 119 Vail lane Smock Pa 15480. Wantanamara, if it's hard to get good ones, I'll just get them from Cactusgarden, but thank you for offering. I got replies from the tree forum but would still appreciate the zone 7 Oklahoma ones. I will try them all and see what does best in zone 6. I have a seedling in my yard that survived last winter and came from Arizona, so I'm hoping to grow some from seed.I've tried Q. Virginiana before and the tree died, it was from Florida though. Thank you both very much.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I picked up a pocketful this evening. There were many that had holes (I was incorrect about no insect damage) but I culled them out and ended up with 35 unblemished nuts. That will give you insurance against squirrels and winterkill. I planted 5 myself from what I got the other day. I read that it is best to try to get seed from a tree in your zone because they vary in hardiness and interbreed so these will possibly be hardier than one from Florida, South Texas or Arizona. It is a beautiful tree I got them from.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I was going to say it would be best to get them from close by.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I'll put them in a padded envelope and try to get them mailed out to you this week.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tree is not usually planted here. I've read that it's zone 6 hardy, but I've never seen one local. So those from you will be the closest to my zone. They may not like it in Pa and die, I am trying it with hopes of success, since the Arizona one is hanging in there still. I have a protected area that's ( I think ) a little warmer that I wanted to try them in. I can pay postage if you have a return address on the mailer you send. I really appreciate you effort to collect and send them. I found a few extra Chestnut oak Quercus Montana( called Prinus sometimes) acorns today, if you want some let me know they are starting to push out the radicle already. They are said to be good in drought, zone 4 - 8.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I read that the Oklahoma types are hardy to -20 and grow native in the Quartz Mts. We have had some very brutal winters here and these trees always look good. Oklahoma is hard on plants and there is just about nothing they don't get subjected to except maybe hurricanes. I see a lot of well established ones growing around the city and I think these will probably do good for you. I have many plants growing on my property that are zoned 8. Often times a plant will grow one zone out of its range.

I mailed the seeds yesterday. Thank you for the offer but I am not much of a tree lover. My struggle is too many in the neighbors yards and endless trimming to get more sunshine trying to grow a prairie in place of a lawn.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad to here that they are -20 F hardy. We haven't had that cold for a while, and it is a rarity. The normal lows that we get are about +23 at the coldest point of winter ans about +30 F the majority of winter evenings. So I am really happy you found my post. If these don't make it I will have to give up on evergreen oaks! Thanks again poaky1

• Krysstyllanthrox
    12 years ago

Random but Oklahoma has actually had a hurricane, even if the weather service isn't wanting to call it that.

About the only natural weather/event I can think of that we haven't had is an active volcano!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Storm (Hurricane?) Erin

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was surprised to hear that you guys get earthquakes, but I guess that's how the mountains get built up. I've never experienced one, but they've happened near me. I'm in SW pa.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cactusgarden your reimbursment will be sent out Monday, I had to wait til I got change. Poaky1

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

Yea Poaky, we had a BIG earthquake but I don't think any mountains will be forming. I heard we have them all the time but don't feel them so that part was a rarity. The folks in California should be impressed.

• cliff98
    12 years ago

Hi!
    Any chance any more acorns of Quercus fusiformis being able to be collected and shipped? I'll pay for postage as well as any costs to collect the acorns. Please let me know! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

Sorry, I checked and theres no seeds laying under the tree now. Its been all cleaned up. Quercus seed have a very short viability time. Its only about 6 months from when they fall and you can't let them dry out too much, in case you try looking elsewhere. Be sure to get fresh ones.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked some of the seeds last Tuesday and most are starting to break through the acorn coat, one I accidentally broke the tip of the taproot off, but it should be fine. I was curious, I can tell I will have lots of trees, thanks cactusgarden. I have one of these trees already in my yard from Arizona, and that one is looking good, so these should fare well here. I know winter isn't over yet, but they look really good and should be good, the worst weather is usually in Dec and Jan.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have 3 seedlings from the acorns I received from Cactusgarden. They are only about 6 inches tall now, but look good otherwise. I will post pics next summer. They are not too impressive as of yet, just in need of some time. Just wanted to mention I have gotten 3 from those acorns.

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Great....keep updating when you can - we're enjoying your trees vicariously :)

Sharon

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor