Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

seed a holic

Do I need rehab? I'm looking at the brown seedheads of a dead flower on the way into a church bazzaar wondering if I could save the seeds. I don't even know what flower it was.

Comments (17)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

No. Don't be silly. You don't need Rehab. You just need a good Seed ID book.

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Or an experimental bent. Grab a seed head and plant it next spring. Take a pic of the seed and then of the flower and educate the rest of us.

• Auther
    9 years ago

Think of it as saving the life of a flower.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Been organizing my seed taking a wide view of my greed. Wow. Just wow!

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

ha, take a pic of the dead flower with your phone and a pic of the seed....someone on here will be able to tell you what it is!!

I have some belamcanda seeds and a few others, if you are in need of a flower seed fix ;)

Lisa

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I restrained myself and didn't take any seeds from this plant (and thereby embarrass my hubby). The flower head looked like my yarrow. I am in a flower seed swap, so soon I will get my fix for seeds, but thanks.

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Lisa, If I remember correctly, belamcanda is blackberry lily. I used to have it, but lost the plant several years ago. Can I take you up on your offer? I'll send a SASE if you message me. I have cleome and a few others.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Um I must confess I too have this ailment

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Welcome to the club.

My seeds are organized by category in ziplock bags that then are lined up in a Sterilite plastic tote with a locking lid.

Years ago, I stored them in one of those plastic boxes meant to hold a pair of shoes. Then, I kept buying more and needed two of those little plastic boxes meant to store shoes, and then eventually I needed three.....

I realized I was developing a little seed problem. So, I did the only logical thing. I went out and bought a big plastic storage box and returned the little shoe boxes to serving as shoe storage. The end result? Now I have a big seed problem. Ain't life grand?

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

I'll not be showing mine, thank you very much. LOL

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

This was a little haul from $ gen. at 2 cents each I couldn't pass it up.
    I ended up buying over 700 packs :)
    kim

• zzackey
    9 years ago

We spent about $20.00 at Dollar General when their seeds were 2 cents a pack. Not many seeds in each pack, but definitely 2 cents worth. Some varieties I had never heard of. It sure was fun.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

It was fun! A friend and I bought out 3 stores and they were happy to get rid of them. I opened all my packs and dumped the seeds of like kind into one bag, that way when I plant I don't have to open 50 pkgs in the garden.
    I also got 16 of the 72 cell trays for 50 cents and numerous other seed deals. I was so excited when they put it 90% off. I also got 4 totes full of potting soil. It is enough to hold me a few years for sure.
    kim

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am jealous of your Dollar general haul. I went to ours, but found no seeds.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

This is the first time I found the seeds. Usually I get there when its picked through and the only thing left are plastic frogs and broken pots. 2 years ago I got quite a few trays for seed starting and small pots and a lot of peat pots which I found out was a mistake. They went in the compost.
    This year I just happened in at the right time end of August early Sept. I am going to try to remember next year.
    kim

• zzackey
    9 years ago

This is the first time we hit it at the right time. Family Dollar has awesome sales too. My friend got hummingbird feeders for less than a dollar.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I *heart* this thread.