Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter sowing again

Posted by seeker1122 7a (treepfs@gmail.com) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 1:27

i NEED A LIST OF VEGGIES AND FLOWERS
I CAN SOW.
I TRYED DOWNLOADING AND MY NEW OLD
COMP CAN'T HANDLE IT SOMEONE HELP PLEASE.
I HAVE ALL THE SAVED CONTAINERS i'VE BEEN
HORARDING THEM FOR THIS MY FIRST YEAR.
TREE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter sowing again

Tree, You can winter sow just about anything successfully. I'll link the FAQs from the Winter Sown Forum here at Garden Web. You also can find similar information at Wintersown.org. Several different FAQs address what types of seeds work well when wintersown, including perennials, biennials and hardy annuals The hardy annual list is the last FAQ on the FAQ page.

Wintersowing works especially well with any type of seed that needs cold stratification in order to germinate, including seeds of perennials and biennials. Many folks winter sow annuals as well. Any plant that self-sows readily and gives you volunteer seedlings in your garden will winter sow well too.

I'm sure that Susan, Lisa and others who wintersow regularly will be able to list specific types of seeds that wintersow well for them.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ From Winter Sowing Forum

o

Thanks Dawn thats just what I needed

Tree

o

Tree, You're welcome.

Dawn

o

Tree, I have been fairly successful with just about anything I tried. If you want a quick feeling of success :), I would suggest starting with cool season crops and early spring flowers (larkspur, poppies, nigella, uh, lots more I can't remember at the moment!). I always start with the early stuff and perennials first and then work my way down to warm season seeds like zinnias. Every wintersower does it differently. I remember reading that someone used to sow alphabetically!

The wintersowing folks usually do a first sowing right around Christmas, at winter solstice. I think they really get started in January. I am usually a slug in winter and it is hard for me to get going before February :)

Hang around their forum, they are extremely friendly and will be happy to mentor you. We are too, of course!!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here