Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

blueberries, anyone?

scottokla
16 years ago

I'm expecting to get some berries next summer from my 3 yr old plants. I have 3 varieties, 8 plants of each, plus a few others.

Mine seemed to grow fairly well last year in the ammended ground. Anyone else tried highbush varieties, and what were your results?

Comments (9)

• avidchamp
    16 years ago

I live in Goldsby just across the river South of Norman. The ground here is pretty heavy clay mostly neutral but leaning toward alkalinity. I started with 3 blueberrys and when they faltered, added two larger ones from Lowes to the same bed. We did get about a handful of berries from them last year but the plants are just sitting there barely staying alive. I have added some sulphur to the soil to make it more acid and have been putting some coffee grounds around the plants. Of course, nothing is growing this time of the year so we will see what this spring brings from them. I would have thought the plants would have grown to waist size by now, but they are stuck at knee level and not doing much. Needless to say, I am frustrated with them and don't know what to do. I also have them mulched with pine bark.

We did a soil test and the report came back to use a fertilizer medium in Nitrogen, low in Potash and high in Phosphorus. I have not been able to find it locally and the only locations that seem to carry something like that showed up to be in far Western Kansas and then only in bulk. The analysis and recommendation was the same for lawn grass or vegetable garden.

Bob

• pistolp
    15 years ago

I bought 4 plants last week (2 Elliott, 1 Blueray and another Blue something) but now I don't know if I want to grow them. I don't know much about gardening either...

• scottokla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Blueberries are easy to grow and very rewarding, but you have to get three things right: Soil, Mulch, and Water.

You have great varieties for Stillwater. Elliot is late (July), Blueray and Bluecrop are early to mid-season (mid June).

I suggest making a raised bed area giving each plant a 4' by 4' spacing. This does NOT have to be with border material such as timbers, but it would help a lot. 16' long by 4' wide running N to S would be perfect for 4 plants. It would be best to have it 8 to 12 inches deep.

I then suggest getting 2 bales (3.8 cubic feet each) of spanghum (sp?) peat moss and using half a bale per plant to replace the native soil about 8 inches deep and a couple feet wide. In a raised bed with a border, just fill the space above the native soil (after killing all vegetation). Wetting the peat moss all the way will prove to be an interesting experience for you.

I then suggest planting the berries at the same depth as in the pots into the center of the new peat-moss soil and covering with 3 or 4 inches or pine mulch, pecan shells, or pine straw. Pecan shells are best, but expensive.

The plants will need some water every few days this year and every few days in hot dry weather forever! Never let the root ball dry out! The water cannot be alkaline or it will kill the acid-loving blueberries over time. Make sure the irrigation water is slightly acidic or add something to it to make it acidic for most waterings.

Lastly, you will need to give it just a bit of fertilizer a couple of times per year. This needs to be an acid fertilizer such as the miracle grow one for acid-loving plants. It will not need much, just a low dose a few times per year budbreak till late June.

This may sound like a lot of work, but they are really easy and pest-free for the most part once you get them correctly started. Another option is to find the largest containers you can and fill with peat moss and then mulch the last 4 or 5 inches. Other than watering every day, that is an easy way to go.

Let me know what you decide to do. I might be able to give suggestions as you go.

• pistolp
    15 years ago

Scott,

Thanks so much for your advice - you got me enthused about blueberries again! I will try making a 16' by 4' raised bed for the 4 plants. The only problem is the grass. I have Bermuda growing where I'd like make the raised bed. If I apply Roundup now, I guess I'll have to wait bout 4 months before planting anything there. Which doesn't work because I will lose these 4 plants. Can I just try and dig up the grass removing as many grass roots as possible? That'll be quite a chore because the soil here is heavy clay... Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    PistolPete

• scottokla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was in this exact situation the year I bought mine. I decided to move them up to larger pots for this year (100% peat moss) and put them in the ground in October, using round-up after a good rain in August. Alternatively, you could wait for the bermuda to be receptive to roundup in late May, and then put them in the ground in late June.

Water every day!

• pistolp
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• fourteenmilecreek_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I've had great success controlling bermuda grass, using GreenMatch organic burndown herbicide, made by Marrone Bio-Innovations, in Davis, California. GreenMatch is made of lemon grass oil and citric acid. I apply it at 32 ounces per gallon for really tough bermuda. I usually apply it at a ratio of 14% for general maintenance, after I have weeds under control. It's naturally high in acid and does not hurt the established blue berry plants.

• LindaFromOKC
    11 years ago

This is probably a really silly question, but do blueberries tolerate icy cold Oklahoma weather better in pots or in the ground, or does it matter? Thanks.

• Megan L
    9 years ago

i don't have the specific facts on blueberries, but generally speaking, plants' roots are more insulated from heat and cold when they're in the ground. containers can be wrapped to protect against frost when necessary; and, though it sounds counter-intuitive, keeping the soil moist around the roots during a cold snap will prevent frost damage much better than dry soil. for the most part, blueberries are fairly hardy plant anyway, being native to cool regions of north america.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz