Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall garden probably done

Posted by borderokie 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 9:23

well the warm is gone. I have had spinach for my eggs every morning and I cut one head of cabbage this morning that Larry gave me (only had 2 survive the fall). We have had tender greens that I should have cooked more of and radishes. picked one little head of broccoli this morning and have blooms on my snow peas but I am afraid this is it. We have a chance of a lot of ice and very cold temps till next tuesday. I covered them anyway. Cant go down without a fight. .Sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall garden probably done

You've lasted longer than we have. There's been nothing in our outdoor garden except arugula for over a month. I've been eating lettuce and spinach from the coldframe for several months, and have another coldframe with carrots and beets that I haven't touched yet. Inside the greenhouse we've been eating thinnings of coolseason greens for a month now. And today I pulled the first of the radishes in there. We will be covering the beds in there with sheets for this cold spell and just hope we can keep it all alive.

o

Well you have done much better than I have. The grasshoppers ate nearly all of my plants while the plants were on the porch. I gave the rest of them to my step daughter, I am not sure if she got any to produce.

I have onions that I planted from seed too late, they are not happy. I was planning on using the for green onions but they are too small. The Egyptian onions I got from George are doing well, but I think they will grow on a rock or snow ball, and anything in between.

Larry

o

I wouldnt say it was great. the grasshoppers mowed down the first planting of green beans so I waited a while. If I could have gotten the broccoli in the ground earlier would have had a good crop. Just couldnt beat off the hoppers. It was fun to fight the elements and win for a little bit. Not sure it is worth it money wise. The floating cover isnt cheap but I will use it for lots of things so all is well. Have been thinking about cold frames just havent done it yet. Sheila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here