Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larrys cabbage

Posted by borderokie 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:02

Larry,
Don't know if you have grown that blue cabbage before.
We ate one of the two heads last night. ( Something was eating them like crazy so I think I killed the rest of them with sevin dust this fall!!) It has a bite to it. I think it reminded me of poke salad. I liked it but it definitely does not taste like regular cabbage .Would probably be good stir fried in with other things too I had one more small head in the garden. If this snow and ice didn't kill it I will bring it to the greenhouses one day when you are passing by and you can try it. Havent uncovered everything yet .It's too cold and I'm afraid to. Not really sure I can till some of this melts off of them.Thanks for the plants. I'll try to do better next time. Sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larrys cabbage

Sheila, you are welcome. I like Blues Chinese cabbage. I have not noticed a bite, it seems milder than other types of cabbage to me. We eat it in cooked, in salad, and stir fry. It is a Napa type of cabbage and not as pretty as the regular cabbage. Go ahead and keep the other head because I wont be in the area anytime soon.

I will include a picture of a Blues cabbage I grew this past spring. Carol was the one to put me on to this cabbage and I hope to be growing it for a long time. I like to grow about 4 different kinds of cabbage each year.

Larry

photo 003-24_zpsd7c36f25.jpg

o
RE: Larrys cabbage ?

Sheila, I went through my pictures and found one that has at least 4 different kinds of cabbage in it. The Napa types are straight behind the Red Sails lettuce. I always have more insect and disease problems with the Napa types. All of the Napa, or Chinese types I have grown have had a lighter color and a more tender leaf.

Larry

photo 002-43_zps4e1bc300.jpg

o

Larry, sorry just saw this post. Wish my garden was that weed free. Trying new things. Hopefully I will get better at gardening smarter instead of harder.

o

Sheila, I guess my soil is just too poor to grow weeds because I really don't have a lot of weed problems. I think that having a trench around my garden helps with weed control. I try to stop the Bermuda and other invasive weeds/grass before it crosses the mulched trench. I also use mulch around some crops. If your garden is the one I see on the south side of hwy 120 with all the row cover it always looks better than mine.

It seems strange but my garden has had very little done to it since late last summer and is still almost weed free. It is almost onion and garlic free also. The cold weather has really knocked it for a loop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here