Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

I did it!

chickencoupe
9 years ago

I made sammich bread !! I know it's not garden related, but you know how I am about new stuff and cannot shuddup about it. But I've been trying for TWO years to get a decent loaf to show up in my oven. Prolly take me another 2 for perfection, but at least it was real edible sammich bread for .. like... sammiches and stuff.

WOOT

bon

Comments (76)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Kim, I love to simmer fruit peels and cinnamon sticks and vanilla too. It does trick they guys when they smell it as it makes them start expecting for there to be a pie in the oven. : ) Every now and then I have to bake an actual pie so they won't be disappointed all the time.

I agree that healthier recipes aren't the same as what our grandmothers' made back in the day, but the healthier recipes surely are better for us. Sometimes I bake healthy, and sometimes I don't. I feel like we have to keep the family tradition alive by cooking the traditional recipes in the traditional way every now and then. Even on recipes that I lighten up the rest of the year, I generally go full-sugar and full-fat at Thanksgiving and Christmas---but we don't have any dietary restrictions here, other than striving to fit into our jeans after the holidays are over. That's the very real challenge.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim, I'm really glad you're able to find satisfying alternatives. I know it must be extremely sad, at times, even though the digestive results are worth the sacrifice. I can only imagine what my daughter will need sacrifice down the road. Hopefully, inducing cleaner more wholesome foods now will give her a better chance. Since we removed any dies and highly refined foods and adding some fermented goodies, she's made tremendous strides in moving away from chronic acid reflux.

Dawn, I think a food Sabbatical can be healthy. For my kids, it's important to not instill a sense of constant deprivation, lest their very souls become defiant. Also, foods high in fat do really well for us as long as it's not highly refined. I lay it on for the kids. Can be very high in calories, but not processed. Especially for my daughter.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I always have enjoyed a challenge. Eating healthy is so different from the old me. Years ago you could not have paid me to eat a brussel sprout and now I cant get enough of them.
    I too have to cook real food(and give it away) just because.
    Like jams. I love making jam preserves jellies etc with real sugar. and pear honey, the boys love it. And cookies. I made the peppermint meltaways yesterday. And I better go plant something ...
    kim

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Dawn, "but we don't have any dietary restrictions here, other than striving to fit into our jeans after the holidays are over. That's the very real challenge" That broke me up. LOL

I understand the food restrictions on several levels, but most of all on the dye issues. I am so allergic to Red #40 and it is in so many things. I cringe when I see Red Velvet cupcakes being fed to children since so many kids have dye issues.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol Kim!

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Amish white loaf had a remarkable look and texture the fam really
    noticed even after mutilation. I think I ruined my bread pan when I cooked meatloaf. This was too sweet for them, tho. I was surprised to hear that. I'll keep making changes. This recipe is pretty quick, too. Great for splitting half into cinnamon rolls!

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Bon when you get a chance buy a glass loaf pan, they are the best for bread in my opinion. I bought quite a few at garage sales over the years for a quarter.
    kim

chickencoupe thanked luvncannin
  • chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kim. I will do just that!! I'm all excited over here. I figured out Pita bread yesterday. Need more practice for flavor and texture, but my kids are already eating whole wheat pita with their hummus. My kids' health just got an upgrade. Hot doggies!

bon

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Bon,

I forgot to mention that I have found storing any extra flower (wheat or corn) in the freezer works well. It prevents the flour from going rancid.

Johnny

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cooking like crazy. Family not eating my loaf bread? They eat it anyway... bread coating for fish sticks, fried chicken and even hush puppies with fresh ground cornmeal added in. Lovin' it.

• gldno1
    9 years ago

Well I am a Missouri visitor and this thread is dear to my heart!! I used to visit regularly about gardening. Don't know why I got out of the habit.

I have been making our bread since 2004. I haven't bought over two packages of buns since then, zero loaves of bread.
    What got me started was DH 's heart attack. It wasn't so much the calories as all the 'ingredients' that I didn't recognize on all the breads.

Two things have become must haves for me:

SAF yeast (Buy from Amazon)
    King Arthur Flour - I used to use their bread flour for breads but find the regular unbleached works just as well but I add a pinch of ginger to the mix.
    I have started buying baking powder through Amazon too since all I could find in the stores that was aluminum free was a tiny can. I buy Hoosier Hill Farm Double Active Baking Powder Aluminum Free 2 lb. I am on my second jar and it was still very active....and there is just the two of us plus the odd overnight company about 3 times a year.

I have a super good recipe from Hodgson Mills for white bread that is very soft and similar to store bread. I do it once in a while just for sandwiches. Usually I make a oatmeal, honey whole wheat bread.

Congratulations everyone for making bread! Practice makes perfect.

chickencoupe thanked gldno1
  • soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

gldno1 - Welcome back. It has been a VERY long time since you posted. Do you still have your milk cow, or just the beef herd these days?

I normally buy SAF yeast as well and usually just buy it from King Arthur Flour when I place an order with them. Sam's now has Fleischmann's instead of SAF and I'm going to give it a try.

I'm with you on the bread and if I can't pronounce the word, I probably don't want to eat it. Welcome back. Carol

• gldno1
    9 years ago

Carol, thank you for the welcome. Yes, I now have two milk cows. We bought a Jersey who will freshen in a couple of months. We still have our ancient Shorthorn, Willow and are currently milking her. Still got the beef cows too.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Bon, It sounds like you're making great progress on baking bread and on getting your family to eat a healthier diet. Congrats on both achievements.

gldno1, Welcome Back! It is so good to see you here. I bet having the dairy cows is wonderful, though also a lot of work.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey there, gldno1. And thanks!

I nailed the buttermilk pancakes with the home made buttermilk. Light fluffy and tasty. Next, I'll be adding fresh ground white wheat.

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Bon,

Good job. Your family is lucky to have you.

Johnny

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden for the food bank

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Bon, we want pictures.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay!

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I keep trying. I cannot get the pictures off my FREE Obama phone because I haven't paid the bill. (You read that correctly.) It's amazing what these phone companies can do.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally nailed the light and fluffy with home made buttermilk.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have any pics of the Amish bread which looked stunning. Afterward, I destroyed my bread pan. :(

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have successfully added some wheat to the pancakes. She didn't notice.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

finally. I liked everything about this last loaf except it being too shallow. More than half the recipe needs to be put in the pan. The rest I cook up as flat bread. Yeast flat bread is growing on me.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Hey, look what an improvement you made. Your pan looks a little wide, do you know what size it is? I like flat bread too, and pizza crust, and cinnamon rolls, etc. etc. etc. Don't forget hamburger buns and hot dog buns if you don't want to make 2 loaves. Did your family like it?

chickencoupe thanked soonergrandmom
  • chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My son does (because he understand the 'why'). My daughter, dunno yet, but it's acceptable for cheese sandwiches. Bill is a habit person. He'll comply if I force it lol But this is really really good.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

9.25" x 5.25" x 2.75"

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I solved a lot of problems by using a thermometer in the water. Exactly 112degrees makes it more manageable.

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

I think the pan size is the problem with the height of the loaf. A standard bread loaf pan is 8.5 x 4.5, so considerably smaller than you are using. If you want to use that pan, then you will need to use more than half of the dough if your recipe is for 2 loaves, or you might find a recipe that is a little larger. Or why not make one loaf in your loaf pan, and make a free form loaf on a cookie sheet.

I've never taken the temp of the water in my life, or if I have, I don't remember. It needs to be warm to give a quick start to the yeast, but not hot enough to kill the yeast. With Instant Yeast it can be a little warmer without causing a problem.

Adding the whole wheat to the pancakes was a good idea. Another way is to put it in muffins or cookies. They will probably eat the cookies and not even realize there is a difference. They will learn to like the taste and get the nutrition benefit in addition. Just start by substituting a small amount and work your way up. With some mills you will not get a really fine flour, so you will probably want to use less in that case. My mill will grind it like cake flour if that is what I want.

One more thing. Whole wheat will last for years, especially if it is kept in a cool dry location, but once ground, it needs to be stored in the freezer.

I'm proud of your success.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That explains much. I've tried half loafs, but failed. I'll keep working with the full recipe for a double loaf until consistent. I fry up the rest as flat bread or make small batches of cinnamon rolls or freeze it for use as pizza dough, later. So many options. I'm so glad to finally be getting somewhere with bread dough. When I buy some new baking pans, I'll pick up the 8.5 x 4.5 sizes.

Thanks, Carol !

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Bon,
    If you regrind the flour it will come out much finer the second time.

I used to grind the wheat to a medium fineness on the first pass, then change the adjustment for finer flour the second time through. Takes more time but is not as hard to turn.

Johnny

chickencoupe thanked johnnycoleman
  • johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Happy dance (;-)

Two eggs (from backyard)
    1/2 cup milk
    two tablespoons EVO
    one tablespoon sorghum molasses
    one cup fresh ground hard red winter wheat (medium grind)
    two tsp Rumford baking powder

Mix wet ingredients well then add dry.

Note: I used a little water to obtain correct consistency.
    Note: I will try only one tsp of Rumford next time.

The most interesting pancakes yet.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mr. Coleman thanks for that. Also, I was considering running some of the corn through a coffee mill. I wonder if that would powder it. I'm having trouble competing with the boxed Jiffy cornmeal mixes.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those waffles sound so yummy!

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wallah! What a time saver! Love my new tortilla press. I ran out of cream of tartar for my baking powder, so I used home made buttermilk. Family likes them even better. Makes them thicker and soft.

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Bon,

I had to run the corn twice through your mill to get a fine cornmeal. I was only making cornbread so it didn't need to be like powdered sugar.

I have introduced many of my friends to quick bread and cornbread made with a little more course grind than found in "Jiffy mixes." They all say it tastes and smells better. I like the idea of getting all of the nutrients God put in the corn. Store bought flour and corn meal is stripped of much of it's natural goodness. It is necessary to give it a long shelf life.

Just a matter of taste I suppose.

Johnny

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking my kids are being bratty. lol

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I had naan for the first tIme yesterday and loved it. I need to look for a recipe. Bon, was it you who posted about makjng it or do I have my forums mixed up?

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah. I was trying to make nan and it didn't come out.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did yours puff up? That part is so cool. Did you use the Nan flour?

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I got some in a restaurant, first time I had had it, so I would like to try it. I liked it better than other flat breads. Tortillas are great BTW. I have not had the nerve to try them yet.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I prefer nan, also. I remember eons ago when I was in Jordan they cooked flat breads much like nan. My then sister-in-law built a fire outdoors and put an inverted metal pan (exactly like an upside down wok) and cooked it. Boy, was that good. Don't know the recipe. Well, nan is similar and the arab tradition is probably an offshoot of the Nan.

So, the problem I had is I was using home-ground wheat. It cooked up perfect. I watched a video where they used special equipment. First, they heated it on a cast iron comal or skillet for a short period of time. Then, they had a special grate sitting right above the heating element. they removed the bread from the skillet and placed it on the grate. At that point it puffs up. Well, I used a cookie rack. Worked perfect. It even puffed up. But I, essentially, made big crackers. lol

Well, nan requires a special fine grain wheat flour from which the name is derived and I betch it's a mix of different flours, but I'm not certain. My next option might be to whir the grain in a coffee mill or blender? I haven't tried it, yet.

I'd recommend starting with tortillas. You'll need to learn to roll out (if you don't already) to get an even thickness. Other than the rolling, tortillas are easy peasy and then you start getting ideas from there and turn it into various flat breads for which you'll probably be elated and give up on the nan bread.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perfect Flour Tortilla Recipe
    I've tried different recipes, but I always come back to this one. Remember, I use a cast iron skillet. So, my preference for shortening verses veggie oil or even lard might be for this reason. (It's a GREAT way to season the pan, too.)

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Google "recipe for naan bread" and you will find lots of recipes.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Thank you both!

chickencoupe thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Morning's adventures. I picked a bad time to go on a low carb sugar-free diet. The maple cinnamon rolls? Just wow... kids are happy.

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

Looks great.

I got the craves for some Yankee cornbread last night. I made a large cake pan of it with 2 cups of corn meal and two cups of wheat flour and four fresh eggs.
    Guess what's for breakfast. I like it with melted butter and honey.

When I was a kid we ate left over cornbread, in a glass of milk with sugar, for breakfast. However, that was not Yankee cornbread. It was southern cornbread.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd rather eat with you. Healthier. I keep practicing. Soon, I'll be adding wheat. At least that much healthier..

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?