Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jerusalem artichoke harvest

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 12:28

Because the gophers have eaten our 'chokes in the past, we planted 5 tubers in a feed tub--the orange one--and kept it well watered. When Glenn went to dig them with an earth fork, it didn't work. So he dumped it out and found an almost solid mat. This pic was taken after he had teased a four gallon bucketful out of the rootwad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jerusalem artichoke harvest

And this is the harvest. I don't know what they cost in stores--never see them. But in one of the seed catalogs, starter tubers were $8.95 a lb. We ended with 40 lbs.

o

Wow! That's impressive!
How will you prepare them??

Sharon

o

We like them raw, sliced into salads, or stirfried. We've never had so many before. Don't know how we will prepare them. I may try steaming them with butter and garlic, salt and pepper.

o

Dorothy, I once baked a couple. It took a while, and they never did turn real soft. They tasted absolutely WONDERFUL! So much so, I gorged on them. But then, a couple of hours later I wondered if a person might die from gas!

Still, that might just be be. If you sliced them into a stir fry with no ill effect, you might get away with simply steaming them.

I boil mine, through out the water, and boil them once more, before eating them. That seems to help with the flatulence problem. One time I took the time, after this, to slice them and do French fries. They were DELICIOUS. However, that process was rather time consuming.

Without doing two changes of water, I have simply chopped them into a stew, which would then simmer on the wood stove all day. They are great this way, and I don't believe they cause me any problems at all. Also, for some reason, I have never had any gas problem when I eat them raw.

We haven't dug ours. But I suspect we will have a very good harvest. The rodents didn't bother our garden very much this year.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I haven't harvested mine either and I had some really big plants.......and I hope I DON'T get 40 pounds. LOL

o

will these overwinter in the OKC/norman area. Looking to branch out the varieties I am growing at the OU community garden and if anyone around has some extra tubers let me know

o

Those chokes are gorgeous! That is an amazing harvest. Just, wow.

Might beano help forestall the gas problem? I think I only ate jerusalem artichokes once, a long time ago.

o

Hey collegekid, " if anyone around has some extra tubers let me know," of course we have extras! ;) I'd be happy to send you some. Send my your mailing address and I'll mail you enough for a 15' row. Just send me back the cost of postage after you receive the package. You can plant them any time you can get them in the ground.

George
Tahlequah, OK

P.S. Last Saturday I dug up three fork fulls on the outside edge of the root system of just one plant. That gave me nearly two gallons of roots! Here's a picture of one of the larger ones.

photo Sunchoke12_16_2013_zps5fa89349.jpg

o

George beat me to it and so generously. I was going to offer a half dozen for postage. If anyone else wants some, email me.

George, we have several like that too. Do you plant big ones like that whole or break them up or do you plant smaller ones. We planted smaller ones last year because that was what we were given. Then after we dug we replanted small ones and mulched the tub with leaves. Hope they overwinter there and come up next spring.

o

Wow, what a great harvest, Dorothy! I love growing plants in molasses feed tubs for many reasons, and excluding soil-dwelling pests is chief among them. I have some beautiful orange molasses feed tubs just like yours, but most of mine are black. In the past I have had some that were blue and some that were pink, though their color fades to almost white or beige after a couple of years in the sun.

I've often thought that I could garden almost completely in molasses feed tubs and other large containers.

George, The rodents were down here eating everything they could find this past garden season, so I guess they needed a change of scene. At least the groundhogs didn't travel this far south in their endless quest for garden domination. We raised many wonderful crops this year, but chief among them was a huge crop of voles. I was irritated by all the damage they did, but at the same time, I was relieved they only were voles, and not an army of grasshoppers, squash bugs or stink bugs.

Apparently sunchokes love our climate, y'all, which is good since so many other plants can struggle here with the all-too-frequent droughts and the sometimes insanely high summer temperatures.

Maybe 2014 will be one of those good garden years like 2004, and all the harvests will be beautiful and abundant. It doesn't hurt to have hope and optimism as one calendar year winds down and a new year waits in the wings, right?

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here