Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Spider Mites

Adella Bedella
12 years ago

What is the best control for this? I brought my hibiscus in for the winter. They now have an infestation of what I believe is spider mites. What is the best way to get rid of these things? I sprayed them with soapy water, but I want something better.

Comments (5)

• tracydr
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Adams flea spray with IGR if you don't care about staying organic.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Spider mites can be very persistent. I don't know that you ever get rid of all of them, but some sprays can suppress them.

The simplest way would be to carry the plant ouside and to spray a sharp stream of water on the undersides of the leaves. It knocks off a lot of them and often irritates them enough that they move to some other plant. This method might not be as affective on plants in containers because when you spray the underside of the leaves, where are the spider mites going to go? Possibly right into the soil in the container. Still, spraying plants with a sharp stream of water is often very effective, but sometimes you have to do it for 2 or 3 days in a row to convince the mites to just go away.

If you are looking for an organic spray that will suppress the spider mite population or even almost eliminate it, there are some organic horticultural oils or you could use neem oil. I don't spray neem on plants in very hot weather because it can burn the foliage, but it is a great plant spray when temperatures are mild.

For a non-organic spray, you could use a synthetic horticultural oil, and they should be easy to find in stores right now because horticultural oils often are sprayed during the dormant season for many plants, hence their other common name "dormant oil".

In a garden setting, releasing lady bugs often works to suppress the spider mite population.

Most insecticides are geared towards insects and spider mites are not insects, but actually are in the arachnid family, so those insecticides are usually not very effective on spider mites. There are some miticides for various mites, but a lot of them are not available to home gardeners and, even with the ones that are, mites have developed a tolerance of or resistance to the most commonly used miticides.

In a greenhouse setting, often the best solution is to release predatory mites or spider mite destroyers and let them feast on the spider mites. However, this is a very expensive solution that isn't practical for most home gardeners. I only mentioned it in case someone who is reading this has an issue with spider mites on plants in their greenhouse.

If it were my plant, I'd start with spraying water on the underside of the leaves and if that didn't work, I'd spray with neem.

Once or twice, I've seen aphids appear in January or February on brugmansias I overwinter in the garage in large pots, and all I've done is drag the plants out into the sunshine on pretty days and wait for lady bugs or other predators to find and eat the aphids. Whether this would work for you depends on whether you have an overwintering bunch of ladybugs hibernating near your house. Even when they hibernate, they'll come out occasionally to eat.

Usually I have trouble with lady bugs trying to move into the house to overwinter in late autumn or early winter, and I haven't seen a single one this winter, so I suspect the brutal drought and temps this summer were especially hard on the lady bugs in 2011. I made have to buy and release a new batch this spring since they're my main spider mite control. If you don't routinely see lady bugs around your yard during the warm season, it is not very likely you'll have them hanging around during the cool season.

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

No lady bugs here. I'll buy some next summer. I'll drag the plants outside and spray. I may go look for some spray later. I don't need a major home invasion.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

My citrus and plumeria get red spider mites often and I and others in the citrus forum have had good success spraying the plants with a diluted mix of fish oil. About a half cup of FE to 1 gallon of water. I dont use it when my stuff is in the greenhouse unless I can leave the plant outside for the day to dry because then the greenhouse smells like a fish processing plant. I had some red mites show up and I just treated the other day with insecticidal soap from Lowes and it seemed to work good.

mike

• judyok
    12 years ago

My Aralia had spider mites as well when I brought it in for the winter. I sprayed with Avid once a week for 3 weeks. Total of 3 sprayings a week apart. It's been about a month now with no signs of spider mites. I check the underside of several leafs with a magnifying glass every now and then make sure they haven't return. Now Avid is expensive and, of course, it is chemical control. If this does not appeal to you they can be supressed by putting the plant in the shower and let it run for about 20 minutes once a week.