Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Quick Haberno Jelly question...

Lisa_H OK
11 years ago

The end of the recipe says BWB...I'm assuming that is something-water-bath. Any ideas on the first part? :)

My sis and I are making this for Christmas gifts. I'm excited!

Lisa

Comments (14)

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Bet that means "Boiling Water Bath."

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh, I bet you are right. Thanks!

Lisa

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

LIsa, I think it is Boiling water bath for 10 minutes but let me go look.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Yep. "Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove jars, cool..........."

From Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Lisa, I hope y'all are using the Big Batch recipe because it gives you more jars per batch. I'll link the thread that contains it below.

With the standard recipe you only get 3 jars per batch but with the big batch recipe you get 6 jars per batch. Since liquid pectin is not cheap, the bigger batch is both a time-saver and a money-saver.

If you haven't made the jelly yet, wear gloves. For regular habaneros, one latex or nitrile medical glove per hand is fine, but for habaneros I wear two gloves per hand.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Batch Habanero Gold Jelly

• carsons_mimi
    11 years ago

The Hab Gold jelly has been the most sought after Christmas gift of friends and coworkers this year. I can't tell you how many people have hinted they 'hope they get some of that jelly you make'. :-)

Thanks for sharing the recipe Dawn. We use it on countless things...panini's, cheeseballs, pork tenderloin, inside Ebelskivers w/cream cheese, eggrolls... the list is literally endless.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Carsonsmimi, You're so welcome. We all owe our thanks to the Harvest Forum because they're the ones who talked about it so much that I felt like I just had to try it. You know how that turned out....

I just gave away the last of the Habanero Gold that I made this year, because at some point I was sick of canning and just stopped doing it after I had enough to get us through the Christmas gift-giving season. However, in my freezer, I have enough chopped up apricots and habaneros to make 6 more batches, so I can make more whenever I want to.

We always give it to Tim's coworkers and some of them don't even hint...they just blatantly say that they hope they're getting Habanero Gold for Christmas. : )

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We finished it this morning! We used the 1/2 pint jars. They are so pretty. I documented the whole process on FB if anyone wants to see it (and is on FB :) ), I'll share it on the OK gardening forum, or friend me and I will post it for you.

Lisa

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, I did use the big batch recipe...thank you! We did eight half pint jars with the recipe. I didn't have gloves available, so I very carefully used a paper towel to hold them while I cut them open, making sure I never used my right hand to touch anything (since I wear contacts!), I used a chopper thing to do the chopping.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Lisa, I'm glad you used the big batch. It is so much more efficient in terms of using pectin. Sometimes I get 7 or 8 jars from the big batch, which makes sense because I usually get 3.5 from the standard batch.

I'm glad it went well, and especially am glad you were careful to not get that habanero on your hands.

Dawn

• crm2431
    11 years ago

If your a beginner and want to learning how to start canning, what is a good book to purchase?

Charlie

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheesh...I just now noticed I didn't spell Habanero right. Sorry!!!

The jelly was well received...I wished we had made much, much more. I will have to make it myself when I get home. I have never made jelly before, although eons ago I used to help my mom can.

Charlie, you might look for a Ball's canning book. I am pretty sure that was the book my mom always referred to.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Lisa,

The spelling didn't matter. We all knew what you meant. When you said you made 8 jars, my initial reaction was "that's not enough", lol. I am not sure how much is enough, but no matter how much I make, I always wish I'd made more.

Charley, As Lisa recommended, the Ball Blue Book is a great guide to canning. Everything in it is safety-tested and approved and by following the directions in the book, you will know that you are learning exactly how to preserve food in the proper manner. You usually can find the Ball Blue Book on the aisle at Wal-Mart where you find the canning jars. The Wal-Mart store nearest me usually has it on the shelves at least from late winter or early spring through fall, and sometimes they have it almost year-round, though it tends to sell out around Christmas. It is less than $10.00 at Wal-Mart, but also is available at many other places, including Amazon.com. Be sure you get the latest edition that just came out about 3 or 4 years ago because it has been in print for over 100 years and you want the most up-to-date version available.

You also can learn canning at the website of the National Center for Home Food Preservation which has all the absolute latest, safety-approved guidelines and instructions, including how-to videos.

Great instructions and recipes also can be found at the website of canning jar manufacturer's like the one I've linked below.

When you have technical questions, you can ask them here and we'll try to answer them, but if they're beyond our level of expertise, you can go to the Harvest Forum here at Garden Web where the true expert canners talk about canning and other food preservation methods year-round.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Website