Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

ice

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

Here's what it looks like are our house.

Comments (24)

• scottokla
    10 years ago

ice, ice, baby!

We have a little more. Most rural roadways are blocked with debris as the trees hanging over the roads break off. The temps have been 32-34 for the last 2 hrs and no more is accumulating. Some is coming off, as it better before the winds come up when the backside of the system comes in with north winds tonight.

No significant damage to any important trees here at the house.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So glad you didn't have a lot of damage. It quit raining here and most of the ice is gone. thanks goodness

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

yeah.. my "winter solstice planting" is gonna hafta wait.. brrr

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sorie, It looks so pretty, but I'm glad the rain washed most of it away. Y'all are a lot better off without it.

We had the tiniest bit of freezing rain last night that was just starting to stick to the trees at 31 degrees, and then the temperatures came up from 31.8 to 35 overnight so whatever little bit of ice had stuck was just melted and washed away.

Scott, I'm glad the important trees weren't damaged .and hope that the power stays on. Y'all really need for that ice to melt and come off the trees before the back end of that storm gets there with those higher winds.

We got rain, rain, rain.....the most rain we've had in a 24-hour period in months. We have 2.26" and have huge puddles and mud everywhere. I love it. Since it seldom rains here and no one can drive in it, we had a couple of wrecks on the interstate last night and this morning, but nothing like they had in central OK.

Bon, The important thing is that the winter solstice is here, so now the days start getting longer again. Yay! If you do your winter solstice plantings a tiny bit late, it won't hurt a thing.

Dawn

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

We got a pretty good amount here in bixby. not as bad as 2007 but bad enough to dropped some power lines. thankfully PSO has been very aggressive in clearing trees for the past few years. I did have to get out in the rain yesterday and rebuild a service drop. crossing my fingers I Dont have to today.

Mike

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

We got iced in OKC but its mostly the plants, the roads didn't get a buildup. I got some very pretty cactus shots.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

This one looks all decked out for Christmas:

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Some crystalized grasses.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

A cholla encased in ice.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Great pictures.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow those pic are really pretty! bbbrrrr

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I left Friday at 3:30 PM for Florida. Can't believe how lucky that reservation turned out.

:)

Moni

{{gwi:1139186}}

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh sure rub it in. It's snowing right now here in Grove!!!
    :) enjoy your vacation!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Greatplains, I love the photos of your icy cacti. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Moni, Timing is everything, is it not? You flew? You didn't ride your bike? I am so shocked. (grin)

Sorie, I was surprised yesterday when I saw that your area was getting snow. We were a toasty warm 41 degrees with sunny skies in the afternoon, although we started out with an overnight low of 16 degrees, which made for a frosty morning and frozen puddles yesterday.

There will not be a white Christmas in Love County this year. Instead, we're having a Muddy Christmas. I don't mind it, though, because the recent rainfall has brought our county out of drought so at least we won't be having a Dusty Christmas.

Dawn

• scottokla
    10 years ago

This storm has turned out to be much more destructive for me than the last one. It will take about an hour per acre to get it cleaned up so I'm looking at about 6-8 full days of work to get everything off the ground. A few trees will not recover, but overall still not as bad as it could have been (as long as the temps get to mid-30s today before the wind picks up).

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

GP Thanks for sharing your pictures. I've enjoyed them. They're so pretty i keep clicking the link to see them again.
    Will the ice harm the cacti?

Moni I hope ya'll are enjoying yourselves. I must be honest, I'm glad I'm at home caring for the furries and keeping them warm and indoors snuggling with the children playing games with a warm stove nearby. I've never been to a beach. It's one of those "must dos".

Dawn, I'm glad you mentioned the moisture. Today as I was sloshing through the mud my heart hoped the drier parts of Oklahoma was getting some benefit from this mess.

bon

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Bon, I loved GreatPlains photo so much that I put it on my desktop and have been looking at it for several days. We had snow again yesterday, but most of it is gone now.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

The cholla is looks enchanting while appearing to defy gravity.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Scott, I'm saddened to hear about your trees. Your posts regarding give me anxiety, because they remind me of the uncertainty I have over our pecan tree that is ...surely .. a goner and precariously balancing half of itself over the house. Two smaller limbs already came down. They did not do any damage, though.

That scattered experience with a less-than-stellar tree trimmer was certainly worth the effort. Had we not gotten those limbs over the roof down after the last ice storm.....

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Tree damage is always the worst in ice. I'm sorry for anyone who got hit. We had roof damage in the first storm, our drain holes froze up on the roof (flat) and the leak was so bad I had to use the kitchen trash can to catch the water. We also had to climb up on the roof in the ice and clear out the ice buildup. There is some sheetrock/patching/ painting indoor work ahead.

The cactus do just fine in snow and ice. I got some breakage but that recovers quickly. Some of the barrels looked like crystal like you would buy at a jewelry store.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

The Gulf Muhly looked like it was covered in soapsuds.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Agave parryii crystalized in ice. The colors were gorgeous and the weird thing was how the ground was left clear making the whole garden look like it was covered in glass ice sculptures. I've never seen that kind of ice on just the plants before.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Just one more of some crystal shrubs. I love the soft colors this time of year.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

It was an odd ice storm here in Grove also since the ground was still warm enough to melt the ice that made it to the ground, but it froze in trees and plants above the ground. We had some small limbs come down, but nothing like the storms of years before when you would be in bed, pitch black outside because of no electricity, and hear trees falling. You just had to wait until morning to learn which yard they were in.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!