Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant apple trees

Posted by ezzirah011 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 15:54

I plan on putting some dwarf apple trees in my yard and what I cannot seem to discern from all the info I am reading is exactly when to plant them.

When is the best time to plant apple trees? Could I get away with planting them in February?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant apple trees

You can plant almost all fruit trees in fall or early spring. I think February would be fine if your ground isn't frozen.

Bare root trees need to be planted as soon as you find them in stores to give the roots a chance to grow before hot weather arrives. Containerized trees can be planted later, but if you wait until late spring/early summer, the heat will be really hard on them.

o

I planted two apple trees today!

o

Thanks! I was worried about it being too cold and windy for young trees, but I guess Feb. is fine.

Thanks! I am shopping as we speak! :)

o

You're welcome.

The cold won't bother them as much if the soil is moist around the root zone. Dry roots freeze more easily than moist roots. You don't want the soil soggy wet because you don't want for root rot to set in, but you want it moist, and in winter, you won't have to water very often because the soil dries out a lot more slowly than it does in hot weather. Putting a layer of mulch on the ground around the tree, but with the mulch not right up against the tree trunk, will help keep the soil temperatures and moisture from fluctuating too much.

A bigger risk to young fruit trees is that sometimes small animals will gnaw on them in cold weather and damage the bark. If they gnaw away a ring of bark all around the tree, thereby girdling it, the tree will die. To avoid this, when I plant a young fruit tree, I put hardware cloth bent into a round tube about 18-24" tall around the tree trunk to protect it from gnawing. You also can use those plastic trunk protectors they sell to protect young trees from string trimmers. (At our house, these are a must during mowing weather or my spouse will accidentally girdle the tree bark with the string trimmer---not intentionally, of course, but the tree dies regardless.)

I've linked the OSU Fact Sheet on Planting Home Fruit Trees for you in case you haven't read it before.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OSYU Home Fruit Tree Planting Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here