Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardneer

planting a new garden for the first time

gardneer
18 years ago

WILL SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME ON WHEN THE BEST TIME TO START A VEGETABLE GARDEN IN OKLAHOMA. IT IS WINTER NOW AND I WANT TO PLANT A GARDEN IN MY BACK YARD. IT WILL BE MY FIRST GARDEN EVER. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME TO START. IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET STARTED PLEASE SHARE WITH ME. I WANT TO PLANT VEGGIES. WHICH ONES ARE BEST TO PLANT IN OKLAHOMA WEATHER? HERBS, AND FLOWER TOO. THANKS SO MUCH!

Comments (5)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I don't know too much about veggies, since my yard is mostly shade. However, if you check over on the winter sowing forum, you can find some things that you can start sowing for early planting in your garden. It is an easy way to get started on seeds instead of having to buy plants for your garden. I would think things like onions, maybe, anything that would grow in cool weather. For herbs, parsley could be winter sown, fennel, dill, all of the herbs that like cooler conditions, not the heat lovers. I would sow those in February-March. Flowers the same, the ones that like the cooler weather conditions can be sown now into January, early February. This is if you like to grow things from seed.

The thing about winter sowing is you can put your containers outside, you don't have to clutter up your house with them. I simply don't have room inside for containers, so this is a great thing for me. I'm using soda bottles, milk jugs, etc., cleaning them with soapy water, with a tiny bit of bleach in it. Or, I'm also using the large baggies that seal, put holes in the bottom for drainage, fill with potting mix, close the top almost all the way, leave about 1" open. Oh, on the soda bottles and milk jugs, you need to poke holes in the top for evaporation, and holes in the bottom for drainage. You can leave the tops off.

Someone may have some other ideas for you. Do you have your garden bed ready?

Susan

• OklaMoni
    18 years ago

It does somewhat depend on where in Oklahoma you live. Plant you should not set out before the last frost could go out almost everywhere after tax day.

Seeds, hardy ones can go out before the last frost.

Okra, watermelon, beans want a warm soil.

Is there an extension center nearby? Call, put in some questions to the master gardeners.

Pick up the planting guide for Oklahoma.

Those are some of the ideas I can give you.

Moni in Tulsa

• new2gardening
    18 years ago

Hello everyone. I found Garden Web and am amazed at all the forums. My neighbor has sparked an interest within me for a small veg garden and some flower beds. I am reading all the older posts to learn as much as possible as early as possible.

Gardeneer, I too, will be starting my garden this coming spring and am very excited about watching all the forums I have selected, and am eager to learn. Perhaps we will learn a lot together.

Jill

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

I'm mostly into Ornamental gardening now, but there are some non-ornamentals that even I begrudingly admit merit space in the garden. For me the most consistantly useful have been the Herbs. Rather a personal choice on which herbs you will use the most, but Garlic, Chives, Basil,Sage, and Lavender (dried for fragrant sachets in closets, drawers etc.) have been my mainstays. Just remember that most veggies need to be processed when they are ready to be harvested. If you work outside the home or have your hands full inside the home and the corn is ready to be shucked, you have to drop what your doing (Oops! there goes the baby) and shuck it. Herbs however offer a long season of use and, with few exceptions, can be used on an "as needed" basis.

• jenjon1950_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i want to know when to start a garden in norman ok

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022