Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Yellow Jelly Bean v. Yellow Grape

seedmama
13 years ago

I should be answering this question instead of answering it. Last year I grew Dawn's Yellow Jelly Bean and her Yellow Grape tomatoes. I literally grew them side by side so I could compare. Initially, there didn't seem to be much difference except for shape. If I recall, Jelly Bean was a more perfect oval, where Grape was more tapered at one end like an egg. If I have it backwards, please straighten me out. I thought the taste was very similar. As the season wore on, the difference became apparent: one cracked and the other didn't. I made it a point to remember, but now I'm doubting myself. I'm somewhat certain it was the Jelly Bean that didn't crack.

What was your experience? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Seedmama,

My experience is that Yellow Jelly Bean normally doesn't crack and Yellow Grape sometimes does, although I don't usually see much cracking with it.

I hope the Yellow Grape I sent you was 'Ildi' although it might have been another because I have 3 or 4 different yellow grape varieties in my seed stash. 'Ildi' is the best of the bunch. This past summer, which was a difficult year for some tomato varieties, Sungold, Ildi and Cuban Yellow Grape outperformed all other bite-sized varieties in our garden. If I didn't send you Ildi and you want to try it, let me know, and I'll send some in Carol's seed swap and put your name on it.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I grew the Red Jelly Bean and had no cracking whatsoever, but none of my tomatos cracked at all. I was somewhat surprised because I certainly expected a few of them to crack, but none? That was kinda weird.

Susan

• seedmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn,
    Thanks so much. These were actually tomato trees that OkieTim put in my truck at the swap, and the labels said Yellow Jelly Bean and Yellow Grape. And yes, I'd love to have a small number of seeds.

While I have your attention, what was the variety of Rhubarb plant you gave me? I've tried to think of a plant in my garden that looked any more lush and I can't come up with one. I read that you grew it as an annual which made me chuckle, because I wouldn't let anyone in my family harvest it last summer because I thought I was supposed to wait until the second year. I suspect the location has a lot to do with it. It was in my kitchen garden microclimate, protected by a bit of shade and with plenty of water. I started to mulch it for the winter, but read that mulching of rhubarb often leads to rot. That's highly unlikely in my beach sand, but I decided not to mulch.

Just so I'll have a record, what variety was it? Thanks!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan,
    Irregular watering is one of the leading causes of cracking. I suspect your plants get a LOT of individual attention, which would translate into good watering practices. I tell one of my friends I want to be reincarnated as her cat, but maybe coming back as one of your plants wouldn't be a bad deal either!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is why I no longer rely on memory. I just went out for fall clean up and found the tags. Yellow Jelly Bean and Golden Sweet Yellow Grape. There you have it.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Seedmama,

Rhubarb is a perennial in most cooler parts of the country. However, I cannot keep it alive through our July/August heat here, so I grow it as an annual.

The variety I grew was from Seeds From Italy (growitalian.com) and I've linked the variety description below. They don't show a varietal name for it, but with it being from an Italian Seed Company, I was hoping it would tolerate our hot weather better. My Rhubarb died in July, and I had it in morning sun/afternoon shade and thought I was keeping it well-watered. Tim loves Rhubarb and I try to grow it for him, but Rhubarb doesn't like me, our soil and our heat! The only rhubarb that has ever come back for me was MacDonald and it returned in 2002 after being planted in 2001. Since then, my life is an exercise in rhubarb futility. I may try it in containers this summer and move it into the air conditioned house when the heat arrives! OkieTim gladly eats whatever I grow, but the things he remembers from his childhood in Pennsylvania and craves (rhubarb, rutabagas, dandelions) are not easy to grow here. I keep trying, though.

When you get a good rhubarb harvest let me know and I'll post some great recipes from my "Joy of Rhubarb" cookbook which, sadly, doesn't get much use in this household.

I'll send you an interesting selection of tomato seeds via Carol's Seed Swap....you know how I am. I like to throw in a little of this and a little of that in order to help feed my friends' gardening addictions.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Franchi-Simenti's Rhubarb

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I just love Rhubarb. My German grandmother used to make the most wonderful Rhubarb pie - no strawberries, just great tasting Rhubarb. I don't even remember where she got it, but probably from some of the local Mennonites that lived around our tiny little city, they being of German heritage as well. Custard pie was another one of her fantastic pies she made.

Perhaps it was a bit cooler in Kansas during those times - 50s and 60s - and growing Rhubarb wasn't such a feat then.

Susan

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks