Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Official 2011 Seed Swap (by mail)

soonergrandmom
13 years ago

This is the official sign up for the January 2011 seed swap. I have used the same rules as last year, but would like to make one thing clear. Try to send as many different kinds of seeds as you can. A few misunderstood last year and sent 20 packs of the same type of seed. Since we had fewer than 20 involved, that meant several people got more than one of the same seed. You don't have to have 20 different things, but please try to have as many different things as you can.

RULES

I have noticed that many of our readers and contributors live in Oklahoma and adjoining states, so this swap is open to you also.

(1) This is vegetable seed swap.

(2) The minimum number of packs is 20.

a. Seeds must be fresh. They can be saved from your own garden, or they can be commercial seeds no older that 2009.

b. Each pack must be packaged individually and be well marked with the content. If you can put additional info on the pack, like size or days to maturity that would be nice, but if not, please use the exact name of the plant so it can be researched on-line.

c. Size of pack has been discussed in an earlier thread and it was stated that 25 or more was a good number for large items like beans or corn. I will say that for seeds like tomato, pepper, melon, or squash, 10 seeds would be a good number. This would be about half of a rack pack for some of those items. I would ask that you be generous and provide the amount that you would be happy to receive. Some seeds like greens, lettuce, radish, etc., I would expect a larger amount.

3. Seeds need to be packed in a bubble envelope or a small box so they will not be damaged in shipping. Your seeds will be returned to you in the same envelope you send your seeds to me in. In addition to your seeds, please include:

a. An address label addressed to yourself, for the return trip.

b. Adequate postage for the return trip.

c. Some have asked for a copy of George (macmex) instructions on hand pollination. It is several pages long so if you wish it mailed with you seeds please allow for extra postage. I can also email it to you.

4. All seeds should be in the mail to me on or before January 15th. I will try to turn them around in the following week. I stated a minimum of 20 packs, but that doesn't mean that you can't send more.

a. Any number over 20 will be placed in a separate bin and divided equally among everyone playing. Everyone that sends in 20 is gauranteed at least 20 in return.

b. If any of your bonus packs are to go to someone that you have already promised them to, please mark them clearly.

c. Bonus packs can be anything you want to send and don't necessarily need to be vegetable seed. They can be herbs or flowers but your 20 required packs need to be veggies.

6. Please sign-up by responding on this thread and make sure that your profile allows you to receive mail from gardenweb. As soon as I see your sign-up, I will send you a personal email through GardenWeb with my address. I will also post you username on this site. I will leave the sign-up open until January 10, 2011. Final mailing is due by January 15th. I will not release your address to anyone else, nor will I send you junk mail. LOL

Let's start sign-up now, and then we will talk a little about what you HOPE you receive. Carol

Comments (150)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Seedmama,

NuMex Sunrise is "supposed to be" an open-pollinated, stable variety, so I think your saved seed should be fine. As far as I can remember, it did originate from a hybid cross of Permagreen sweet pepper X NuMex 6-4, as did its siblings NuMex Eclipse and NuMex Sunset.

Since the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute's goal is to improve and preserve OPs and land race types, I think that after they make those hybrid crosses to improve an OP/land race types, then they dehybridize/stabilize them before releasing them to the public. I'm not sure if I read that somewhere, or dreamed it up or assumed it though. However, when I grow NuMex Sunrise and NuMex Sunset, I always leave peppers on the plants at the end of the season to dry and they reseed automatically in my garden's beds and paths. The ones I allow to grow on always come true to type.

When it doubt, we can always check the NCSU cultivar list although I don't know if it still is updated as often as it once was.

So, let's go find it and see......

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: See the NuMex Varieties On the Cultivar List Here

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

i'm in need of some seed for broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, if there are any spares to be had. ya'll are enablers, you realize that, don't ya?!!

dody

• jlhart76
    13 years ago

Mrsfrodo: If you mean luffa gourd, I have gobs. I saved the seeds out of one last year, and if I plant them all I'd have enough sponges to last a dozen lifetimes.

• oldbusy1
    13 years ago

Soonergrandmom, i need your address to send seeds to.i'm just wanting to be an enabeler. i have gobs of see left from 2010. Do not add me to the swap list. i just want to send some bonus seeds. hopefully i'll be able to get them out in time.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

busy1 - I received your email and responded with my address. Thank you so much that is so very nice of you.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I will get my seeds out by deadline. Will be sure to include a few of the Jalapenos I mentioned above, since they seem to be in demand. I only need 1 or 2 plants.

MrsFrodo - just love that name, almost as much as I loved the trilogy and I'm excited a new film is in the making! I have never heard of Asclepias radiata. Did find a Matalea radiata when researching - same family, different genera. Where in the heck did you manage to find the seeds? I'd love to try some of them if you have enough. I am going to send seeds of Asclepias curassavica - Tropical Milkweed - which the Monarchs just love - if you need any of these. Carol wanted some, too. I have plenty if anyone else wants some, too.

I can't think of a thing I really have a strong need for right now, so I will just be pleasantly surprised, or hugely surprised! Any herbs or pollinator plants would be welcome, tho.

Susan

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Susan,
    If you really do have plenty of Asclepias, I'd love some. I like photographing the cats as much as the kids do!

">

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Thank you! its like Christmas in the beginning of new year! Cheers -Chandra

• oldbusy1
    13 years ago

Sent the seeds this morning.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks busy1

• leava
    13 years ago

ok i was going to do my pkg three times and three times something came up.sun i came down with nasty flu.have a bit of energy today so have my seeds laid out.then i realized i don't know for sure that all are 2009 seeds as i have never been accused of being organized.if i put my initials on each envy i would be happy to send others to recipients who let me know if mine do not have proper germination rate which of course i am clueless on as well except one co puts germ rate on the envies which is nice.is this ok???

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leava, We like to make sure we will get good germination because some people will not plant all of the seed this year. If you think it is fairly new, go ahead and send it, just include enough seed that they will be sure to have germination. A note on the pack saying that the year isn't known might also help. Some receivers might want to do a germination test to make sure they aren't wasting their time.

Sorry you have been ill and glad to hear you are on the mend.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leava, I just read your email, so if you have only been gardening again for two years, I think your seeds should be fine.

• leava
    13 years ago

thanx carol, i panicked in vain because i have plenty of 2009 and 2010 that are clearly labelled.i remember i had a fit of organization last year :) but all these have original packets with dates so am sending only those years worth........i got most of my seeds from heirloom acres.
    the hardest part about this swap is that now i am waiting on what i get to know what i still get to order :) so glad we are doing this ,i am so excited and thank you for organizing it

• mrsfrodo
    13 years ago

jhart76- I do mean luffa gourd.

Susan- I wrote Asclepias radiata from memory. After checking, it is really called Asclepias incarnata or Asclepias Soulmate. The seeds came from Seeds of Change. The link is below.

As far as the discussion on peppers goes- I am willing to risk unstablized, open pollinated varieties- maybe I would grow the next greatest pepper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias Soulmate

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eakem - Received your seeds today and see a couple in there that I will keep for myself if no one else asks for them.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol,

I mailed mine this morning, so I am out of the seed-packaging business for a while.

Now, it is back to the drawing board to work on my warm-season grow list.

Dawn

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

An aside FYI: Heirloom Acres and I have a history, not a nice one. I ordered over $100 worth of seeds from them a couple years back. Only 30% of the various things germinated and, of those, many of them didn't grow true to the variety. They never would answer emails or letters. All attempts to contact them either failed or were ignored.

I'm just telling you this so you can do germination tests ahead of time, instead of ending up with a failed garden. Hopefully, they've improved over the last couple fo years?

Diane

• eakem
    13 years ago

Good deal. Glad you found some you like for yourself. Consider that a partial re-payment for doing this for all involved:) I really appreciate it and am looking forward to trying out some new varieties.

Shad

• leava
    13 years ago

owiebrain, thanx for the heads up.i used some of their seeds last year but since recordkeeping is not yet part of my gardening :) i am not sure if i could tell how theirs did.although i got most of my seeds from them i also planted a lot of starts i got from sunshine gardens i think they were as well as from our plant swap.i put my email on the back of each of my envies and am more than happy to send other seeds if any of mine are duds.i had no idea they had a poor rep........

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Susan,
    Your ziplocs went in the mail this afternoon. Happy loading!

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

mrsfrodo ~ Thank you, in advance, for sending the okra seeds. I'm always interested in trying new varieties and know the Clemson does well here.

I'll repay your kindness with some NuMex anaheim pepper seeds. It looks like Sunrise is already in route to you so I'll send you some Big Jim anaheims. Hubby has grown this variety for at least 10 years or more and it is always a consistent producer in our garden. We can tons of salsa each year using Big Jim and jalapenos as the only peppers in the batch. The anaheims give our salsa a sweet and spicy flavor which is simply over-the-top delicious. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do.

Lynn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn, Pepper seed are never wasted....you know I'm the pepper queen. LOL

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Lynn, appreciate the comments on the anaheim, Big Jim, since I will growing that this year for the first time. I also have a Jalapeno or two, and want to make some really good Salsa. Sounds so good right now!

Susan

• lat0403
    13 years ago

I sent mine out today. There's supposed to be an extra pack of seeds in there, but I just noticed that it's still in my purse, so ignore that note.

Leslie

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Leslie,
    "but I just noticed that it's still in my purse."
    Carol understands. She still has seeds in her purse that she brought for me to last year's Spring Fling.

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Carol, aka "The Pepper Queen", You are in luck since 75% of what I've packed up so far are pepper seeds -- so please help yourself. I'm sorting through tomato seeds today so we'll see how it all shakes out in the end. I'll try to have my package in the mail to you either today or tomorrow at the latest.

Susan, you can't go wrong planting some Big Jim anaheims. Not only is it a huge pepper, the flavor is out of this world. I know Jay roasts a lot of anaheims so I'm planting extra this year to do that very thing. Roasted pepper salsa...YUM! The only thing that drives me crazy with the anaheims is that they will hang on the plant forever then finally, when you're ready to throw in the towel, they turn red all at once very late in the season. No picking them along with way like you can jalapenos (or at least we don't pick early).

Seedmama, Thanks for the carrots. How well have they grown for you? I tried to grow them my first gardening season but they didn't do very well. I just figured it was my newbie status kicking in so I'm going to try them again before I concede defeat! lol I grow TenderSweet every year and they grow well with next to no attention. Weird how that works sometimes....

Lynn

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Lynn,
    You are welcome. I have to say I've been pleased with Purple Dragon. I bought the original seeds about 5 years ago from T&M's now defunct clearance sight, valueseeds.com. There were very few seeds, and carrot seeds are not known for longevity, but I have to say this has paid off. I've harvested way more seeds than I ever have the patience to clean every year, and the kiddos love the carrots. By the way, I put a bit more effort into cleaning yours than I do in cleaning my own, but not much. Your packet will have chaff. I hope they do well for you.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Dear Carol, The Pepper Queen! could you please recommend some good pepper varieties for Oklahoma (sweet, mild, hot, tasty). We love pepper so much, my DW makes lots of pakodas, bajji, chutney, roasts, grill, butter chilli, endless use of peppers. Last time we grow some types, but my bad forgot to note down varieties... here are some pics, the Pepper Queen can able to give some name to them...

Pepper1

Pepper2

Pepper3

Pepper4

Pepper5

Pepper6

Pepper7

We know about pepper number4, had memorable life time experience! That seems to be one of the hottest pepper we ever tasted in life. We didn't know about that pepper before, my DW cooked some sabjee out of it thinking it would be one of the small bell peppers... I tell you, its fire ... I was running all over, eating ice, drinking milk, curd ice cream... no way. later, one of my Colombian colleague told the story about that pepper... so never forget that ghost. -Chandra

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Chandra,
    Pepper number 4 is a habanero. It makes excellent jelly, which I eat with a spoon.

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Chandra, I grew numbers 1 and 5 just last year, or at least something that looked like them, and I'll be danged if I can remember their names now. For the others, my first thoughts were:

2 -- cayenne
    3 -- poblano
    4 -- scotch bonnet
    6 & 7 -- cayenne

Carol, I thought of another wanted but it didn't occur to me to mention it early because it's a fruit. I've been dying for some Alpine strawberry seeds if any happen to make their way into the swap. If not, no prob. It's at the top of my list for buying this year if I ever get around to finding all I want from one company. (I hate paying shipping multiple times!)

Diane

• tomatomanbilly
    13 years ago

Chandra,
    number 5 looks to be a Tabasco
    Bill

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Diane,

Sent you a PM.

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Got it! Will reply as soon as the short, loud people are asleep for the night.

Diane

• leava
    13 years ago

well you won't believe what happened as i am innocently packing seeds yesterday.my life is too full of drama.i am getting over the flu but i have been dying to get my seeds on the way.so i spent yesterday doing that.do a bit,rest,eat,cough 50 times, you know the drill.as i mentioned before three times i set out to do my swap seeds and something came up each time.so i am so determined yesterday.i took a shower for the first time since sunday i had been that sick.yuck.ok,i get a call from my daughter who works for an optometrist.my elderly mother was there from the nursing home for a diabetic eye check. she went into the first seizure of her life, a major one.the ambulance came and took her to hospital.she had two more and had broken her left arm thrashing.my poor mama is left handed and uses a walker to barely walk.i was too sick to go to hospital so my daughter,sil and husband handled everything.anyhow i had the seeds all done and just have to mail tomorrow.not enough strength to drive so my dd will get me and pkg to post office.at this point i am determined to mail these seeds out of pure aggravation at being thwarted.mama is going to be seen tomorrow by orthopedist,on pain meds and basically ok for now.when i get my seeds from the swap i will feel like someone from a survivor show........and i know mom does

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chandra, I didn't mean that I was an authority, but I do love to grow all of the different ones. I am sure that Dawn and Jay are probably much more qualifed to give you a name. First of all, so many peppers look alike, plus it is hard to tell the size from a picture. The orange one (4) looks like an orange habanero to me, and the one that Diane thought was a pablano is not nearly dark enough green to be pablano. They start out dark green and just keep getting darker. Eventually they will turn red. I grow a pepper that looks just like that one but I can't think of the name right now. I'll tell you why in a minute.

However, one year I grew two peppers that looked almost exactly alike and one was sweet and wonderful and the other would light your fire. My son was walking around in the garden and asked if it was OK if he ate some peppers. He ate a couple of the good ones, then accidently got one from the wrong plant. I don't think fanning of the mouth was doing much good, but he was sure doing a lot of it.

My first thought on number 2 was Cayenne, especially if you bought the plant rather than the seeds.

The last one also could be a cayenne type, but I have seen some Italian Frying Peppers that look almost like that too. I am just not qualified to answer your question.

Like I said, it is hard to tell about size, but does Little Elf or Tabasco sound familiar for those small peppers.

And with that, I will add that I am also not very alert. About eleven-ish last night, I was at my computer and my husband was watching TV. He got up and went into the bathroom. In a couple of minutes, I heard him calling my name, 4 times in rapid succession. He sounded desparate, so I jumped up and ran up the four steps to the other level, just in time to see him roll over on his back on the floor.

I quickly made him talk to me, and for about a minute or so, he mumbled and didn't seem able to communicate, but then started to come out of it. By this time I had already made sure that he was breathing, and I began the stroke questions:What is your name, where were you born, can you smile at me, etc. He could do all of those things, but still looked terrible. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911 and asked for an ambulance.

She asked me if my house was hard to find and I said yes. She asked for directions. I gave her the first part of the directions and told her to look for the house with all the outside lights on and the car with flashers flashing. I checked DH again, and ran to my car and started the flashers to help them find the house when they found the neighborhood, then ran back inside and called them back. By this time, they were on the way, and shortly after that I could see car lights and I stepped onto the front and this lady yelled, "Did you call for an ambulance?" I said yes and she, a first responder, came in. Then the ambulance came. Al could set up on the floor and explain what had happening (almost), but he still didn't seem normal. I knew that they wanted to take him in, but he didn't want to go, and they can't push it. Finally, I just said, "Let's take him". They were going for a gurney, but I suggested that he walk, by going through the house and going out another door rather than down the outside front steps. They walked him out then put him on a gurney and loaded him. While they were doing everything they could do in the ambulance, I was putting up the dog, turning off lights, locking doors, and putting on my coat. My neighbor had noticed my car flashers and before she could get out her door the ambulance arrived, but she came on into the house at some point and stood at the ambulance while they loaded him. Did I mention that this was the coldest week of the year, and he weighs a ton? I was trying to save the backs of the EMTs. LOL

Never did I think he was having a heart attack, other those few anxious minutes when I first saw him on the floor. He had NO pain whatsoever.

Earlier in the day, he had done some work in the backyard which probably took him 6-8 minutes and when he came in he didn't look right, and said he didn't feel like he was breathing right. He is prone to pneumonia and has been coughing hard, so I thought of that as well while we were deciding if we needed to transport.

After several hours in the emergency room, we had determined: (1) An EKG looked normal, but enzymes were in the middle range. The ER doc said that it wasn't high enough to prove a heart attack, but not low enough to gaurantee that he hadn't had one (2) That they needed to keep him overnight so the cardiologist could see him (3) That the cardiologist was out of town (4) They suggested one of two hospitals in Joplin MO.

We discussed going to the VA in OKC and the doc said we would have to sign a release for them, and he said if we decided to do that then we must leave right then and not go haome and sleep. At this point it is 3AM, and we haven't been to bed, so we picked a Joplin hospital.

They transported him by ambulance, while I came home to pick up PJs, let the dog out, put him in the kennel with food and water, and write a few emails to my children that they would see when they woke up, and a quick IM to the neighbor who had come over. I told her that they might have to come in and take the dog out if I didn't make it back in the morning, and I left to make the 45 minute drive to Joplin. It was very cold, but the roads were in good shape. I still drove slower than normal because I didn't know if all of the road ahead would be as good, and of course this is through the hills in deer country.

The enzyme test at the 2nd hospital looked normal. They already had IV's going in Grove, but by the time I saw him again he was hooked up to everything, and had just come from a chest xray. They were doing blood work all of this time and he has 10 punch holes in one hand and arm and I didn't count the right arm which had 2 IV bottles and an earlier punch that I knew of. They hadn't identified any heart issues, but had told us that he would be admitted into cardiology. By this time it is 11 AM Thursday, and neither of us has slept since Wednesday morning. After they got him in a room, I decided to drive home to take care of the dog, and sleep a few hours.

He was wearing a transmitter and didn't know it until they showed him the results later in the day after they had done a stress test. He didn't get to sleep at all, but I managed to sleep 2 hours and 15 minutes. Then I talked to him and learned that he had passed everything with flying colors and they were releasing him. So back to Joplin I went to fetch him. LOL

The doctor told him his heart was working fine but that he was terribly out of shape and that had to change. Al told me he didn't want to hear me say, "I told you so", so I didn't. LOL I am sure that he was mulling over the many warnings that have come from his wife and children over the years.

Anyway, they believe that he just fainted and that working out in the freezing cold weather earlier in the day had probably started the cycle, and it just finally caught up with him. He has fainted two other times that I know of, but they were many years ago. Both were brought on by stressful situations. Once after a motorcycle quit running and he pushed it home for miles in Denver. He made it home, then fell into the front hallway. Another time, he tripped and place his hand down on a red hot stove burner coil. Both of those times, he was thin and although I couldn't hold him, I could support him enough to break the fall. He is so big now, that I would just have to let him fall. I tell him, he blocks the sun.

He was freightened. Probably much more than I was, and he has learned the hard way that he needs a life style change. Maybe those new garden tools were a really good idea.

He had decided at Christmas that he wanted a Wii and some of the active games. He and my son went shopping for it here, but they were out, so Al sent money with him to buy it in Bartlesville. Son and DIL are bringing it over on Saturday, so maybe that will help him on days when he can't get outside.

For all of those years in the Air Force, I made his plates at dinner time, and told him which foods he could have 2nds on and which ones he couldn't. He had to keep his weight below a certain level and that was the only way he could do it, even with the exercise he did then. Once he was not in the military, I stopped doing it. I think he was so tired of living that way, that he just did what he wanted and has gained a ton of weight.

In addition, he had pain in his legs for 2 years and was just too miserable to do many active things. A few months ago, we learned that it was a reaction to the meds that he was taking. Once he stopped, much of the pain went away. The doctor agreed today with what he is now taking.

So-o-o, since I have had 2 hours and 15 minutes of sleep since yesterday morning, and lived through a day of 'happenings', I may be more goofy than usual.

Dawn, your huge package came today, but I haven't looked at the packages yet. From a peak into the box my reaction was "Awesome".

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Oh, wow, wow, wow, Carol! Please give Al a big ol' kick in the pants for scaring all of us, especially you. Then give him a hug for not doing something stupid like up & dying. Then tell him to give you three hugs for putting up with him. ;-) And then tell him you're going to tell him what to do from here on out for the rest of his life because wives know better than husbands. Right? Right?? If he disagrees, I'm going to save up gas money so I can take a little road trip to straighten him out.

Sheesh. No more scary stuff. And both of you guys get some sleep!

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Chandra,

I'll try to identify the peppers the best I can tomorrow. I am just too tired tonight, although after reading "The Adventures of Carol and Al", I have no idea why I am tired because I am living a soft, lazy, cushy life compared to her. I do agree with Carol's assessment that No. 4 looks like a habanero, although Diane's scotch bonnets are related to, but not quite the same as, habaneros. I grow habaneros in all colors, but the most common one is the orange one and it is so hot that I only eat them in Habanero Gold jelly, which is the same one Seedmama eats with a spoon. All the sugar and the apricots makes the heat more bearable. I don't usually eat my Habanero Gold with a spoon though. I put it on crackers topped with cream cheese, or melt some in a glass measuring cup and use the melted apricot-habanero jelly as a glaze on pork or chicken. I also don't think the green ones are dark enough to be poblanos. I haven't grown many kinds of poblanos, but all the ones I have grown have been so dark they're almost black.

Carol, What a horrible night y'all had. I am just tremendously relieved Al is OK and that it wasn't a cardiac event. I hope y'all can catch up on all the sleep you missed last night.

It is so easy to eat all we want of what we want and gain weight, and then the weight is so hard to lose. I look back at photographs of my relatives from the 1930s through the 1970s and everyone looked so amazingly thin and fit back then! We as a country certainly have changed since then, and it would be good for many of us to follow in Al's footsteps and clean up our diets and get more exercise. I get really lazy in the winter when it is too cold to be outside and then I regret it in the spring.

I'm glad the package arrived. I always worry it will go astray and end up in Timbuktu or something. I assure you there's a nice selection of all kinds of seeds in there, and a couple of "surprises" specifically for you.

Now, get a good night's sleep and don't work too hard to resort and ship out all the swap seeds until you and Al feel rested again. It is cold and flu season, so it sure isn't good to get overly tired and run down right now.

I'd love to be outside working, but huge sheets of ice are still crashing down from the trees and roofstops, so I think I'll hibernate inside one more day tomorrow.

Dawn

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Carol, sorry to hear all that horrible moments with you and DH. Thanks god everything is ok now. No hurry on swap, take rest and watch some funny movies... god must be crazy, animals are beautiful people.

All, sorry that was my mistake of not retaining plants labels. By the way, I did't have any experience of growing my own seedling last year, all plants were bought from various places (WM, HD, Lowes, Farmers market, K&K etc). I keep record of plants this time. -Thank you -Chandra

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually Al eats very good food. He loves fruits and vegetables and I have always cooked with whole grains. Although he likes pie, and a few other sweets, he is not a big sugar eater. He always drinks sugar free drinks, if not water. He will eat bread on a sandwich, but I'm not sure I have ever seen him eat a slice of bread just out of a package. He eats bread if it comes out of our oven, so I kind of control that part. He is not a big snacker (but I am). I am sure he eats too much food, but it is mostly good food.

Because he has fought his weight his entire adult life, he has always known that those 'empty calorie' foods just don't work for him.

Almost all of his numbers have been perfect which has always amazed the nutrition folks and the doctors he has seen, until a couple of years ago when his cholestrol started to climb a little. Then the meds they gave him to try to help control it a bit, turned out to be what was causing his leg pain. It took a long time to realize that the medicine was the problem, because he has some other leg issues. The more pain he had, the less active he was. We have had several medical professionals just look at triglycides, cholestrol, and all those other numbers they check and ask him how he can possible weigh as much as he does, and maintain those numbers. They expect the numbers to all be 911.

I think another part of it is family also. For years I was hesitant to use the word lazy to describe people, but my daughter convinced me that it is OK to say lazy if people are really lazy....so here's the scoop. His sister, his mother, and his maternal grandfather were just lazy people. If they could get someone else to do it for them, then that was great. They seem to thrive on the fact that if someone will do something for them, then they must be loved. Add that to their tendency to procrastinate, and friends and family just go ahead and do it because it needs to be done. I am guilty. I ask once and if it doesn't get done, then I do it. My children are much the same way. We have catered to them knowingly.

Now this condition does not exist in employment, he would work his tail off at a job. In addition, he completed his education after we were married and we all did things for him during that time just so he could meet his busy schedule, especially getting his masters and keeping up the contracts to rebuild Building 3001 after the huge fire at Tinker.....but we didn't stop. We all spoiled him.

I am trying to turn over a new leaf. When he says he is going to do something then just sits, I say one time and only one time, "Do you want me to go do that for you?" These days he almost always says no, because it has made him think about it.

That may make him sound like a bad man, but just the opposite is true. I must be careful not to say I like something, unless I really want it, because he will have it bought in a heartbeat. He loves, loves, loves, his kids and they love him. Babies that like only their mothers, will hold out their arms for him to hold them. My new dog would much rather sit with him than with me. He is a super honest person. He has been SO generous with so many, and many come to him for counsel. He is deeply religious. He is really a good man and I feel blessed to have spent my life with him. The phone hasn't stopped ringing since I made the first phone call this morning to let one friend know what had happened. We even had a call from a friend that is in Texas on her honeymoon. A couple of weeks ago, a young man giving a talk in Church stated that he had learned so much from him and that Al was like a second father to him.

I have laughed at him all of my life because he is educated, and genius level scores, and can (and has) talked with important people in high places and they are impressed. On the other side of the coin, he will speak like you speak, and he just seems to move into it naturally on what ever level the other person speaks. I tease him about his 'good ole boy' conversations.

Last night gave him a good scare. He said that when he was in the back of that ambulance on his way to the second hospital, that he was afraid that he would never see me again here. He has been making big plans for a life change, but lazy people do that. LOL The doctor told him that he had to do it. He also told him that this might never happen again, or that it might happen frequently in the future. He told him if he were ever to be in a bad accident, his body might not be able to recover. I hope he scared him enough to make big changes. We shall see.

He normally helps me get the garden ready in spring, then returns again when it is time to harvest (and eat). That is why I have made such a joke of his statement of learning to garden now that he has retired. I hope I don't injure him badly!

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Carol, so sorry to hear about your troubles, and pleased you've had a favorable outcome. Why are you still up so late? Get some rest and take care of YOURSELF too!
    Seedmama

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

My goodness, Carol. Now I want to marry him! ;-)

I understand the lazy thing. I have that, as does Steve. It's very difficult to overcome but it can be done. But you have to re-overcome it each and every day, sometimes several times each day, if you wish to get anything done. LOL

Diane

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

It seems that something must be in the air. I spent last night in the ER with bad pain in my side, doing tests to try to figure out what it is. I'm not sure they know yet, but learning toward one idea. Up all last night sicker than a dog - a "ruff" night. Today at the doctor's office, and finally home. Still have to go get prescriptions.

I'm gonna do my best to get my seeds packaged and mailed by tomorrow but am making no guarantees. Still having some residual effects. Will at least try to get those promised seeds mailed out

SUSAN

• mrsfrodo
    13 years ago

Carol- Glad to hear that nothing serious was found. Your husband and mine seem to have a similar habit. Instead of asking him if he wants me to go get something, I try to say "It is in the drawer to the left of the sink." That way it is obvious that I am paying attention to him, but will not be bringing everything to where he is sitting.

Susan- hope you are feeling better soon.

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

Carol, God Bless and God Speed.

P.S. I got the job at the Marriot!

Keith

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol, I hope you and Al have had a good night's sleep and some peaceful, quiet, restful time at home. I don't think you made Al sound bad but merely human like the rest of us. I think I have the lazy gene that Diane mentioned and I DO like soda and sweets and all the bad things that I shouldn't like. Tim has the memory gene that means everything you tell him stays in his mind for about 3 seconds at home. At work he never forgets anything. Hmmm? I'll have to think about that.

Susan, Hope you're feeling better soon and that the pain in the side is not a syptom of something medically unpleasant.

Lately, everyone I know is having gall bladder surgery. Wonder what that is about? Do gall bladders expire?

Mrs. Frodo, My husband would die if I started running and fetching things for him. He'd think I knew something he didn't...like maybe he was dying of a terminal illness or something. However, he never remembers where anything is. I have to tell him where "it" is or he can't find anything.

Keith, Congrats on the new job! That's great news.

Chandra,

I think people already have correctly identified most of your peppers. I think #1 could be Thai hot but it also could be any one of the dozens of ornamental varieties of peppers sold by various nurseries, stores and seed companies. They usually are sold as ornamentals because they are too hot for most people, but all the ornamental types are also edible. Pepper #3 is the only one I'm not sure about. I agree with Carol it lacks the characteristic darkness of poblano types, but its shape looks familiar and I think I've seen it before. I'm just not sure which pepper it is. Did you harvest them green or did you let them mature to their final mature color? If you did, did they mature to red? orange?

Dawn

• seedmama
    13 years ago

My envelope is in the mail! Woo hoo! One more thing off the kitchen counter. It has been so long since I mailed a BE I almost forgot to include a label back to me.

Keith, I didn't know you were looking for a job, but am very pleased you got it. Congratulations!

Dawn, my husband would be very suspicious if I started fetching things for him. I have to draw th line somewhere. I cook 21 hot meals a week, do all the laundry and ironing, the yard work, and all the kids activities. He needs the exercise encompassed in getting the remote himself. There are only two roles for a woman who lives with a houseful of men: Princess and Scullery Maid. I don't see a crown, do you?

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Busy1 - Received your seeds today and that is quiet a contribution. I am sure everyone will be glad to get them.

This thread is officially closed since the maximum number of postings on a thread is 150 and I think this message is 148. Later tonight, when I have some time, I will open a new thread with the same title, but marked as Thread 2. Any further posting should be on that thread.

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Oops, I forgot to add LOLs and smiley faced emoticons to the post above. All in good fun.

• shaili
    13 years ago

Hi Seedmama,

I am a newbie and dont have as many seeds, can I still sign up and get some? hopefully I will be able to send in seeds next year.

thanks,
    shaili