Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gotta buy potatoes...

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 22:29

because we've just eaten the last of the ones we dug last July. They were starting to get a bit shriveled anyway and I've pulled sprouts off them at least 3 times. They still tasted better than any I can buy.

We just ate the last tomato that I picked green over 2 months ago as well. It was a Big Mama, a Roma type but bigger. I won't be buying tomatoes though because I have plenty of frozen and dried tomatoes this year. I took Dawn's advice about drying tomatoes, selecting cherry types and cutting them in half. Then I just half dried them and threw them into the freezer. And now I actually have homegrown tomatoes and homegrown lettuce in the same bowl. Yay!! That doesn't happen in the spring/summer when the lettuce is gone before the tomatoes get ripe. Thanks for the idea Dawn. We love them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gotta buy potatoes...

Considering the weather you had in 2012, I think it is pretty good that you got enough potatoes to last this long.

You're welcome, Dorothy. I'm glad the dried tomatoes worked out well for you. We're in salad heaven right now with the best winter crop of lettuce ever. I don't know how long it will last, so I'll sow new seeds for a spring crop in January.

Now, if only the weather will improve and some decent amounts of wet stuff will fall from the sky and we can start making serious plans for spring planting.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here