Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Winter Solstice Tomorrow!

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 23:03

I LOVE this day - it means that once again, the days will finally, albeit slowly, begin to get longer. I don't usually notice the significance in daylight hours until around the end of January, but hey, now it's not far off!

I don't sow seeds on this day, nor do I dance in the garden with minimal attire, but I look forward to getting that much closer to Spring!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Winter Solstice Tomorrow!

Gee Whiz - I was just going to ask about the dance before I read the disclaimer. (grin)

I won't start this early but I do plan to do some WS on those few warm days that we have in January and February. Since I don't usually start "light shelf" plants until mid February, that will fill the desire to plant for the 6 or 7 weeks before starting seeds inside. I'm not feeling the urge yet, but I know that it only takes a couple of warm days before my mood changes.

I haven't placed a seed order yet, but I do have a small one almost ready to submit to Johnny's. I needed an item that I have only seen offered on that site and of course I had to add a few things to that 'necessary item'.

I have been checking Willhite almost daily and they still haven't put up their 2012 page. I'm sure I have a trip to Baker Creek in my future. LOL

o

Carol, lol, I can never bring myself to just order ONE item either. Always have to add to it. I tell myself it is not worth the shipping and handling charges for 1 pack of seeds - which it's really not.

I don't intend to WS this year. I have a few seeds to direct sow, and will start some "under lights" seedlings like my MGs for transplanting after last frost (probably around May 1st). I've also bookmarked some sources for Zinnias that I want to order for direct sowing in spring. I want some Chippendale, Profusion, Pulcino, Sombrero, Zahara, and Whirligig Zinnias. Most will be single flowers, for the butterflies, of course.

I am anxiously awaiting spring.........sigh....

Susan

o

I am ready for the longer days also.

If I lived in Alaska, if I did not freeze to death I would die from depression because of the long nights. I am like a plant, I need sunshine.

Larry

o

I also look forward to the longer days. In 30 days I can notice the difference. When solstice arrives it signals longer days are starting and then time to think about spring soon. Jay

o

I can understand why you're looking forward to longer days, Jay, cuz you've really been getting the precip, haven't you? I don't mind seeing the snow coming down, when it's new and pristine, but it doesn't last that long here in the city before it turns to dirty mush and hazardous ice. Then we have to look at those awful mounds in parking lots and medians that seem to stick around for a couple of months! Yucky!

They said on the news today that our ground is still too warm for anything to really freeze if we do get unlucky enough to have the stuff. I'm hoping this is not a prelude to another hot, dry summer.

Larry, what is up your sleeve for planting in spring?

Susan

o

Larry, Depression is a serious problem in Alaska, but it never bothered me. I lived there 8 years total, but 4 years each time. In winter, it was dark when I went to work, and dark when I got off work. Then came summer...and lots of daylight, great fishing, beautiful plants, the biggest cabbage you ever saw, a zillion places to camp out or visit, and tons of natural beauty.

Those people that liked to work from daylight to dark would just about kill themselves in summer until they realized how many hours they were working. Alaska is a great place for the young with lots of energy, but living is just too hard for the older ones. I loved the cold then, but not so much now.

o

Susan

I don't have my plans completed yet. Everything will be centered around nematode control, tomatoes will be of the resistant variety. I hope to grow the plants that are susceptible to nematodes in the south garden.

Carol, I love Alaska in the summer time. I spent 4 month up there in 99 or 00 seeing how many roads I could travel. A friend has a gold claim northwest of Wiseman, and about 2 miles off the old haul road to Prudhoe Bay. and about 75 miles north of the Arctic Circle...NO I did not find any gold, I could not lay my gun down long enough to pan for any, bear track everywhere, but I did see a 35 lb cabbage at the Fairbanks fair. I believe they told me the blue ribbon went to a 50 lb'er the year before.

It was a great summer.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here