Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Warm growing cymbidium

olyagrove
17 years ago

Hello, everyone!

Another noid cymbidium from Central Florida. I have had this plant since a little baby in a two inch pot - it grew fast, but I did not expect the flowers quite yet (I recently repotted it from a 3 inch pot into a 4 inch one)!

The plant looks very similar to Cym. Nut, yet it is not the same - the form and the color of the flower are a bit different (I have Nut blooming right now too)

The fragrance is unbelievable: roses and sweet berries...

Enjoy :)

{{gwi:159588}}

{{gwi:198517}}

Thanks,

Olya

Comments (25)

• canadianhybrid
    17 years ago

Olya, that is a beauty! Do you think you will have divisions in the near future? I'm in Toronto, Canada and apparently, it's not that hard to have someone send a bare root orchid division from the USA (unless ot is from CA or HI). I'd be happy with a back-bulb also. I envy you Floridians because you are able to grow these beauties right in your back yard! Great job!-Carlos

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Carlos

The plant is a baby - not even filling up the four inch pot...I wont divide for a few years..but, keep in touch!

Olya

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

I love these warm growing C. pumilum hybrids. Great job!

• wabisabigirl
    17 years ago

Great flowers on a cute and healthy plant. Is the sphag just covering the medium or is that what you are using throughout? Naomi

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Naomi

I use sphag a lot...in this case, it is covering the medium. The medium is washed coconut husk chips, lots and lots of large perlite, gravel and some medium and small charcoal.

The plant is on the bench with all my other "high light-never go inside when it gets cold" orchids: Australian dends, nobile dends and some laelias.

Olya

• haxuan
    17 years ago

Your plant is gorgeous! It's so healthy. I love to see the whole plant like what you have photographed. Thanks so much for sharing.

Xuan

• carolinn_on
    17 years ago

Olya, it looks like Cym. Miss Taipei Unveiled. Yours is a stunner-so many blooms, too! Hope mine buds soon.

Carlos, I bought mine at Clouds-they still have it on their site.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1097125}}

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carol, you know I have been thinking myself that this plant is Miss Taipei

I bought it as a baby (2 inch seedling) in Apopka - the grower said he bought two flasks from Thailand and wanted to see if these cymbidiums would grow and flower in Florida. They, the plants were not for sale, but I spotted them in the corner of his greenhouse and asked to buy one from each flask....Unfortunately, he did not know the name :(

Olya

• canadianhybrid
    17 years ago

Carol, I could just hug you. I would of never guessed that because the colouring in the Cloud's picture looks very different. Thanks!-Carlos P.S. Will you be attending the SOOS show?

• xmpraedicta
    17 years ago

Wow what a beauty! I have a cymb that is hopefully going to flower soon (I see all the buds) but I'm suspecting some blasting may occur. I like the elegant shape of the petals on your plant! Very attractive.

Carlos - when is the SOOS show?? I stopped getting letters from them because my membership ended but I'm interested in going to the show!

• wabisabigirl
    17 years ago

Thanks for answering my question Olya. :-) Naomi

• annafl
    17 years ago

Olya, they are absolutely gorgeous, and the whole plant looks so picture perfect and healthy! I had given up on cymbidiums years ago, but you have inspired me to try again! Thank-you!

Anna

• carolinn_on
    17 years ago

Hi Carlos,

When I was photographing my larged-leafed Phal, I was reminded how different types of light can change the colour; in my case it was also the pink/peach.

I was at the SOOS Shows for 4-5 consecutive years, until a year or so ago, due to other plans. Don't know if we'll be there this year for the same reasons, but do hope to meet you sometime. I'll send you an e-mail this week and let you know of any extra plants you might want to trade. The Catasetum tenebrosum is another orchid I've been wanting!

Calvin, here's some news about the show:

http://www.soos.ca/Show2007/Show2007.htm

Carol

• canadianhybrid
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol,
    That sounds great. Do drop me a line. I usually go to the SOOS show every year but last year I found it repetitive.

Calvin,
    There is a Calvin who will apparently be selling plants at the SOOS show. I think his business goes by the name Tropical Gardens. Is this you?-Carlos

• Charm
    17 years ago

Beautiful ~Charm

• xmpraedicta
    17 years ago

Olya - sorry for hijacking the thread!
    Carol - thanks for the link
    Carlos - no, that's not me, although we do know each other due to someone thinking we were the same person a few years ago

• ray_ratliff
    16 years ago

You know, I have been looking around for a list of warm growing/tropical Cymbidiums & have somehow come up empty handed. Do any of you have an idea of a few plant names i can look up? Or perhaps you know of a list of these warm growing/tropical Cym. I live in South Florida near Miami. I have heard that there are nice warm growing Cym. but most need a very cool winter to bloom (which we just dont have down here). Ocassionally we get near the 40's for an hour or two over night, but in the day we will get back into the mid 60's or sometimes into the upper 70's. Thanks for any help!!

• jank
    16 years ago

I bought a cymbidium at HD from a grower in Apopka that was touting warm-growing cymbidiums. It grew wonderful leaves for two years outside in Miami in S/H, and then three corms in September (?--is that the right word for their bloom spikes--seems I got that from context somewhere). They blasted--don't know if it was from the drought or the deluge that followed.
    Any tips on care after bloom spike starts?
    Thanks!
    Jan

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

I have a Cym. now in bloom, with a tag lost long ago. It looks like Cym. Golden Elf, and has the same fragrance. The temps never go below 60F.

Carol

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have no specific tips to offer for preserving the spikes..sorry
    I think it is a matter of growing warm tolerant varieties that have proven to grow in the area
    Zone 9 - Tampa - gets a bit cooler than South Florida, so I do not know whether the plants I grow will do well where you are

The ones that have done well for me:
    Cym. Golden Elf, and its hybrids
    Cym Nut, and a few sinense hybrids...
    Cymbidium Sunshine Falls 'Butterball'
    Cymbidium Sarah Jean 'Ice Cascades',
    Cymbidium Showgirl
    Cym. Little Black Sambo 'Black Magic'

Also, two species, but cannot remember their names right now..One is bicolor..the other one could be aloifolium

I have also a number of NOIDs that I purchased in Lowes/Home Depot..Usually, if the tag says that is have been grown in Central Florida, I would buy it (most came as 50% off after bloom)
    A few are likely sinense hybrids...

I am sure there are more cymbidiums that could grow in Florida, but I listed the ones I have grown
    Olya

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everglades Orchids do not sell to public anymore...But it is a good reference as a lot of the hybrids they made are available form different vendors
    I recently saw two Cym. Milton Carpenter 'Everglades Gold' on 50% sale at Lowes (without flowers)...Bought one of the two, and it rebloomed as what looks like a sinense hybrid..Not the yellow Evergladed Gold :( But at least it is reblooming :)

Olya

• orchidflowerchild
    16 years ago

Milt sold the main collection to Carter and Holmes and will be sending them new hybrid material, but yes if you are looking for a good list of names to reference, the gallery on the evergladesorchids.com is great place to start.

Since Milt's stock went to C&H, I'd recommend looking to them for plants.

You sould also mosey over to the oncidium intergeneric gallery on the everglades page...Milton has done some amazing things in warth tolerance with full, Odontoglossum shape.

-Cj

• orchidgal2000
    14 years ago

Having fallen in love with cymbidiums while on the West Coast and grown them sucessfuly there, I sure would love to have some heat tolerant ones while in Florida. Olyagroves are a knockout. If anyone has some divisions of similar, I sure would be interested. I am in the Gainesville area which I believe is similar to Tampa climate.

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Beautiful plant/blooms!

I am trying a couple of the warmth tolerant cyms. All are at least growing except for the Little Black Sambo. It has done nothing but take up space for a year. Any special tips on growing this one Olya?

Sheila :)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner