Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bonatea speciosa 'green egret' fcc/aos

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 15:27

A terrestrial from Africa, warn to cool with a dry rest when deciduous. It's just getting started with 2 stems, a third coming and at least 20 tubers resting underground deciding whether to do something or what. Hopefully more will come and 2 month from now it should be more bushy and the flower stalks should have 10 or so flowers on it. It's bee kept fairly dry, full watering and fertilizing will resume now.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
re: bonatea speciosa 'green egret' fcc/aos

Once again it would not accept any upper case letters , converts them all to lower case even if I shut the thread down and came back. Don't know why it does that, not the first time.

Here is the profile. This plant is strange because there are 13 different varieties and I have never seen one other than speciosa. The other weird thing is that every single plant I have ever seen, and I remember buying this plant 14 years ago, is this FCC clone. Where are all the others?

Nick

o
RE: bonatea speciosa 'green egret' fcc/aos

Here is the pot. 1/2 between the top of the tag and the stem is a little green nub which is new growth emerging. The pot is full of tubers. I have seen this put on a real display of green, bushy, lushness and then there are some springs when it just lingers. This looks like it's going to be a lingering spring. Unless I see a few more nubs coming up, I think I will unearth the tubers and restart in 5 or 6 pots. Did that a number of years ago and they all seem to disappear, gifts, trades, suicides and what have you. This is the only one I have right now.

Nick

o

Love it! How tall does it get? I just love that flower. I wonder if it could take Florida heat?

Jane

o

WOW! Very striking. Never seen one before.

o

The are from Africa growing both warm and cold so Florida should be no problem. They have a dormant period when there is danger of rotting out the bulbs if they are too wet. It's a little taller than a foot.

Nick

o

Nick you maintain an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. green egret looks like it is from another planet! How many plants in your collection?

o

About 2,000 or so. I do like the unusual

Nick

o

Is that one of your Ebay finds? I'd like to order one.

Jane

o

I got this one 12, 13 years ago. Maybe 4 to 5 years ago, Cal Orchids had a whole bunch of them. Contact them to see if there are any left. If not, I can send you a tuber or 2 as I'm pretty sure I'll unpot it and start 4 or 5 new pots after they finish blooming. Depends on new shoot activity.

Nick

o

Curiosity got the best of me and I unpotted it. 6 extra tubers emerged. The feel like potatoes. If you want one, Jane, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Nick

o

The plant is growing in a 1/2 gallon Cymb pot which was pretty packed with these tubers. I stuck my finger in earlier and because there was no wiggle room thought there would be more. On the other hand, they are a good size.

Nick

o

Nick, Nick, I want one!!

I will post your photos forever...you already figured it out

I'll PM you,

Jane

o

Came across this photo on the AOS website

o

WOW! Now that's deserving of the FCC it has.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here