Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

bonatea speciosa 'green egret' fcc/aos

orchidnick
10 years ago

A terrestrial from Africa, warn to cool with a dry rest when deciduous. It's just getting started with 2 stems, a third coming and at least 20 tubers resting underground deciding whether to do something or what. Hopefully more will come and 2 month from now it should be more bushy and the flower stalks should have 10 or so flowers on it. It's bee kept fairly dry, full watering and fertilizing will resume now.

Nick

Comments (14)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Once again it would not accept any upper case letters , converts them all to lower case even if I shut the thread down and came back. Don't know why it does that, not the first time.

Here is the profile. This plant is strange because there are 13 different varieties and I have never seen one other than speciosa. The other weird thing is that every single plant I have ever seen, and I remember buying this plant 14 years ago, is this FCC clone. Where are all the others?

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the pot. 1/2 between the top of the tag and the stem is a little green nub which is new growth emerging. The pot is full of tubers. I have seen this put on a real display of green, bushy, lushness and then there are some springs when it just lingers. This looks like it's going to be a lingering spring. Unless I see a few more nubs coming up, I think I will unearth the tubers and restart in 5 or 6 pots. Did that a number of years ago and they all seem to disappear, gifts, trades, suicides and what have you. This is the only one I have right now.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Love it! How tall does it get? I just love that flower. I wonder if it could take Florida heat?

Jane

• inga007
    10 years ago

WOW! Very striking. Never seen one before.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The are from Africa growing both warm and cold so Florida should be no problem. They have a dormant period when there is danger of rotting out the bulbs if they are too wet. It's a little taller than a foot.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Nick you maintain an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. green egret looks like it is from another planet! How many plants in your collection?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About 2,000 or so. I do like the unusual

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Is that one of your Ebay finds? I'd like to order one.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got this one 12, 13 years ago. Maybe 4 to 5 years ago, Cal Orchids had a whole bunch of them. Contact them to see if there are any left. If not, I can send you a tuber or 2 as I'm pretty sure I'll unpot it and start 4 or 5 new pots after they finish blooming. Depends on new shoot activity.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Curiosity got the best of me and I unpotted it. 6 extra tubers emerged. The feel like potatoes. If you want one, Jane, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant is growing in a 1/2 gallon Cymb pot which was pretty packed with these tubers. I stuck my finger in earlier and because there was no wiggle room thought there would be more. On the other hand, they are a good size.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Nick, Nick, I want one!!

I will post your photos forever...you already figured it out

I'll PM you,

Jane

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Came across this photo on the AOS website

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! Now that's deserving of the FCC it has.

Nick