Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

bl. yellowbird 'jajobean' am/aos, ccm/aos

annafl
17 years ago

I had this one awarded in 1998 and got to name it. It received 82 points for AM, and 83 points for CCM. It was nicer back then, but still puts a smile on my face, it is so cheery. Reminds me of daffodils.

Comments (19)

• wabisabigirl
    17 years ago

It's spectacular and brings a smile to my face as well. Naomi

• ebbykay
    17 years ago

That is so lovely! Sure looks like springtime.

• turbocap
    17 years ago

It's hard to believe it could be better than that. Just beautiful. Well done.
    What medium do you have it in?

• olyagrove
    17 years ago

WOW
    Impressive...the health, the number of flowers....

I am saving your picture, if you do not mind :)

Olya

• slipperhead
    17 years ago

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! I have a Bl. Yellow Bird and it is one of my favorite plants. I did not know there was an awarded Yellow Bird!

Please let me know if a piece ever "falls off"! I have plenty of trades!

Garland
    Midlothian, VA
    rusafe@verizon.net

• annafl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank-you. I love my cheery plant.

Turbocap, this plant is actually a division of a division of the awarded plant. It is so vigorous, I have to repot it at least every third year. This plant is in its third year and it is not quite as floriferous as last year. If I were to leave it in this pot for another year, it would suffer some rot. Right now, there are so many roots I can't see the media. However, I probably used medium charcoal chunks, some tree fern fiber, maybe a little aerolite, and maybe a touch of canadian peat moss.

Olya, I am flattered you'd like to save the picture. Please do.

Slipperhead, I will repot this in the springtime and will have extra pieces, I'm sure.

Anna

• mikasa
    17 years ago

Thank you, thank you! What a beautiful specimen. Someone gave me a piece but didn't know what it looked like, now I do. Any special care I should know in order to get it to bloom?

• nora_cy_lee
    17 years ago

Amazing!

• jswift
    17 years ago

Goodness gracious me...dunno how you do it, but I'd love to see other plants of yours. Too bad I'm not in the US, I'd gladly pay for a piece of this monster.

jon

• Sheila
    17 years ago

Just awesome. I might have some possible trade plants too. Let us know when you divide that gorgeous baby. Sheila :)

• Perfection_Is
    17 years ago

not too shabby... lolz.

p.s. they blow daffodils out of the water.

• mehitabel
    17 years ago

Stunning! Are you growing it in one of those flat metal baskets?

I would also love a piece when you divide it. I've been looking for one that's really yellow. Mine faded to a palid cream-white. No zing to it.

• annafl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mikasa, give it lots of sun. Mine gets full sun through a screen. The screen lets through 70% light.

Mehitabel, it is in a shallow terracotta orchid pot. A basket might be even better, though.

I will see how many divisions I have in springtime.

Anna

• bayard
    17 years ago

Wow!

• carolinn_on
    17 years ago

I second that "WoW"! It's a beauty.

Carol

• picotee_sofl
    17 years ago

Anna, that is fantastic! Congrats on great growing!!!! I have a puny one that only puts out one or two flowers. That's the best one I have seen. Just wonderful.

Marci

• Charm
    17 years ago

Exquisite, It is a beautiful Yellow ~Charm

• sdahl
    17 years ago

An absolute jawdropper!!!!!! And I love the name!

Sharon

• loisepp
    17 years ago

Wow!
    I bought a plant like this this past summer. As a novice grower I've been disappointed in my skill with this plant. It has shrivelled, though the roots seem fine. Sure would like help on figuring out how to get any blooms out of it. (leaves would be good too!)