Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calanthe Grouville ('Super Semi' x 'Long John')

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 16:55

This is a Calanthe hybrid made years ago by the famous Eric Young group. Numerous colors and formations were created. Cal Orchids had a number of them but they did not sell too well so when a Japanese buyer offered to buy the lot, James Rose jumped at it. Cal Orchids has no more and I don't know where one can find them, I have been looking.

One of the Hawaiian vendors has one called Rozel 'Water field 'Rasberry', I have it but it has not bloomed yet. I also got another one from J@L. This one was bought from Cal Orchids by one of our members who gave me a bulb 2 years ago. It has grown phenomenal and I could split a bulb for a trade for another one of the Eric Young hybrids if anyone has one. Here is a list of the ones I have found, I know there are many more:

Grouville ('Super semi' x 'Long John')
Kinteroi ‘Waterfield Raspberry’ p
Rozel ‘Mendenhall Pink’ x Rozel ‘Newberry’ p
Rozel ‘Pololei Ruby’ p

The Grouville is the only one that has bloomed for me at this time. This is the first of many flowers that will open over the next 2 to 3 month. The stalk will eventually be 3' long, quite rigid not needing staking. While this is happening, the leaves will wilt and fall off. The new bulb will emerge in the summer, develop it's leaves and then bloom next winter/spring as the leaves fall off again.

I'm growing it cool but the member who gave me the bulb grows his intermediate. I will probably split it this year and grow half on the warm side.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calanthe Grouville ('Super Semi' x 'Long John')

The entire plant, poor photo, sorry. It gets to be quite spectacular, I'll keep posting as it evolves. As you can see the leaves are already beginning to look ratty. Not much longer for them.

Nick

o

The Eric Young Foundation is still active but i don't know how to purchase plants from them. Here is a link.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/RHS-Publications/Journals/The-Orchid-Review/2011-issues/June/EYOF-11pp

The second photo is an example of the beautiful Calanthe hybrids, more of which are on display further down.

Nick

o

Wow, those photos are amazing. The Calanthe hybrids are beautiful as are the Vuyls (which I've tried to grow and always kill). I think the article sums it up:

"It is the continuation of Eric’s
private orchid collection, his main
hobby, albeit on a grand scale. Part
of its remit is to provide a collection
that can be admired and studied by
all, to inspire others to take up orchid
growing as a hobby, and also to act
as a tourist attraction for the island.
The Foundation is not a commercial
nursery so does not produce plants
specifically for sale. However, some
of the surplus stock is occasionally
released to selected
UK nurseries
for sale to the hobbyist, but these
are in extremely limited numbers."

Jane

o

I'm painfully aware that they don't sell to the public. I'm trying my luck with certain Paph dignitaries like Hasegawa and /or Koopewitz and also see if the Odontoglossum greats like Hamilton and Perlite can land some of their plants.

Nick

o

It's beginning to come into it's bloom. Long lasting flowers, I'd love to get more of these but am banging my head against a wall.

Nick

o

About 1/2 open and ready for our spring show this week-end.

Nick

o

It was appreciated at the show, won a trophy for 'Best of Section'

Nick

o

Well deserved!!

Congrats, beautiful plant

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here