Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Calanthe Grouville ('Super Semi' x 'Long John')

orchidnick
10 years ago

This is a Calanthe hybrid made years ago by the famous Eric Young group. Numerous colors and formations were created. Cal Orchids had a number of them but they did not sell too well so when a Japanese buyer offered to buy the lot, James Rose jumped at it. Cal Orchids has no more and I don't know where one can find them, I have been looking.

One of the Hawaiian vendors has one called Rozel 'Water field 'Rasberry', I have it but it has not bloomed yet. I also got another one from J@L. This one was bought from Cal Orchids by one of our members who gave me a bulb 2 years ago. It has grown phenomenal and I could split a bulb for a trade for another one of the Eric Young hybrids if anyone has one. Here is a list of the ones I have found, I know there are many more:

Grouville ('Super semi' x 'Long John')
Kinteroi âÂÂWaterfield Raspberryâ p
Rozel âÂÂMendenhall Pinkâ x Rozel âÂÂNewberryâ p
Rozel âÂÂPololei Rubyâ p

The Grouville is the only one that has bloomed for me at this time. This is the first of many flowers that will open over the next 2 to 3 month. The stalk will eventually be 3' long, quite rigid not needing staking. While this is happening, the leaves will wilt and fall off. The new bulb will emerge in the summer, develop it's leaves and then bloom next winter/spring as the leaves fall off again.

I'm growing it cool but the member who gave me the bulb grows his intermediate. I will probably split it this year and grow half on the warm side.

Nick

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida