Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
live moss in orchid pots?

Posted by clickercricket 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 16:56

i have eight baby orchid plants in separate small terra cotta orchid pots (different kinds). i usually put a layer of brown sphagnum moss over the bark medium. i have a bunch of green sphagnum-like moss growing in the lawn. would it be worth a try to transplant this green moss into the orchid pots? or is this a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: live moss in orchid pots?

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 18:47

I do not think it is a good idea, but you should repost over on Discussions. Not sure how many people look here but it is the place where people post pics, though sometimes the pics generate discussions.

o

Not the best idea. First is the issue of introducing pests. Second is te fact that the moss will die. You have native hardy moss in your yard that requires winter dormancy. It dies without it.

o

I have traded for Bulbophyllum with a fellow in Washington state. He grows them in a native sphagnum moss which he finds in the hills near his home. Once a year, he tells me, he trecks to a place he discovered and returns with all the moss he can carry. He has a huge collection of Bulbos which he repots in fresh moss once a year. This yearly trip provides him with the moss he needs.

I have quite a few plants growing in New Zealand sphagnum moss and occasionally the moss begins to grow. I tried to encourage this but have been unsuccessful. Tom Miranda (spelling ?) who writes irregularly for the AOS magazine told us that if watered with pure RO water WITHOUT fertilizer, SM will grow. One of these days I plan to try this. I also repot all plants in moss once a year and it can get expensive.

If your moss is fluffy like sphagnum moss, I would try one plant in it and see how it does. The usual moss found in North America is probably not suitable for orchid culture.

Nick

o

thank you all for answers. it is winter here and the moss survives the snow and is bright green and fluffy. i pulled a nice clump up and dried it on some newspaper. i then cleaned it of dirt and debris. it was still green. i decided to use one orchid as a guinea pig. the moss surrounds the plant and is fluffy and green; whether it grows or not is not an issue...the color is. so far...looks beautiful. much prettier than brown sphagnum that tends to flatten out over time. if it continues to thrive and not harm the orchid, i will post a pic. i just wanted to see if i could use something that was free outside my doorstep. it is covered in 8 inches of snow now...so i will wait til the snow melts til i harvest another batch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here