Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Cattleya percilvaliana

orchidnick
9 years ago

I decided to let the 'Floof Club' go the way of the Dodo bird and post each one individually. Not too many new ones left. This one is found in Venezuela, I grow it warm, one of the nicer Catts.

Nick

Comments (7)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.,

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Lovely bloom.
    So glad your posting each one.
    It was getting hard to scroll, all the way down.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms. I have a lot to look forward to. I have one that is supposed to be blooming sized but I don't think it is large enough.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Here is a pic. of probably the best clone. Thanks Nick, I'm going to move my seedling which has done nothing for years to a warmer spot. Nothing much wrong with your plant, high quality with those beautiful tones in the lip.
    Cattleya percivaliana 'Summit' FCC/AOS grown by WSOS Member.
    {{gwi:2128978}}

This post was edited by arthurm on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 14:51

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Thanks, Arthur.

I have a question about Cattleya perciviliana 'Summit' FCC/AOS. I have read concerns about over cloning this clone. Essential the argument was the offspring of repeated cloning of clones will lose their vigor and quality. Has anyone heard anything similar to this?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Hi Greencurls, all I know is that you have to be careful where you buy Mericlones. The theory is that if you buy mericlones they should be close to the mother plant.
    If you buy a clone of a clone...... there is more chance of a mutation happening along the way, but sometimes those mutations can be good. Witness the Mutations that have occurred with Onc. Sharry Baby.

• garlicgrower
    9 years ago

Hello All:

I have seedling of C. percivaliana Summit X C percivaliana Primavera which does not bloom with such wonderful form and frill as Summit. Boo-hoo. I will try to replace in the future is she does not shape up.

I also was given a single backbulb of an "unimproved" species C. percivaliana and grew it out to numerous p-bulbs. Its blooms are more frilly but do not open wide and flat. They stay kind of flopping forward. sigh. A more senior grower told me to pitch it and buy a "better one." I have not done that yet because it is bomb proof and reliable.

I do believe that the multiple-mericlone problem is true.
    I bought from anther hobbyist a plant of Laelia Santa Barbara Sunset. That was 4 years ago and it has yet to bloom. I read that this clone was been mericloned so many times that the " far downstream" plants simply do not grow properly - they have a stunted appearance and do not bloom. To my dismay, I know that must be the case with the Sunset I bought. Boo-hoo.
    Live and learn!
    Best of luck with your plants ~
    Maryanne