Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

masdevallia highland fling 'orange sherbet' hcc/aos

orchidnick
9 years ago

Comes in different shades of grey. This one is pure orange. And once again the trolls that regulate the computer at
Gardenweb think that capitol letters are a no-no.

Nick

Comments (8)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Love that. Looks big too.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Lovely. I wish I could do better with Masdevallia. I just can't seem to make them happy enough to bloom consistently.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

What a color. Love it!

Greencurls I grew them in NY and they did very well. I miss them, one of favorite plants. Can't grow them in Florida.

Jane

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Jane - maybe I need some of your tips for growing Masdevallia in windows. Mine grow but thats about it. I really appreciate the flowers and want to improve my growing. Unfortunately, winter has been extremely dry and cool. Certainly the dryness is not helping them. Humidity in the grow room is running between 35-40%. Not bad for winter, but probably not great for Masdevallia.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I make quite the effort for high humidity in the cool house. A tap water misting system that sprays the ground with tap water for 10 minutes every hour and a Hydrogoggfer which is fed with RO water that spews fog if the humidity drops below 80%. Both Andy and John Leathers from Hawk Hills have indicated to me that they consider high humidity more important than low temperatures for Masdies, Pleuros and Dracula. I fully agree.

If you added a Hygrofogger and kept the humidity at 80%, your higher than optimum temperatures might well be forgiven.

Nick

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I had a unheated sunroom in my NY house. It had sliding glass doors on 3 sides which were floor to ceiling. The room was built on a deck so the cold winter air would come through the floor. The room got cold, about freezing in winter.

I kept my Masdes out there until summer when it got too hot. They went outside under trees.

If the temps in the sunroom got below 40, I would turn on a small electric heater which kept the room from freezing. Humidity rises when temps drop. I really didn't monitor humidity.

The Masdes and Dracs did very well growing there. I kept all my cold growers there unless temps went below zero, I got nervous and would pull them into my kitchen over night.

Greencurls, I also kept some Masdes in my house but my house was always on the cool side. Large windows which were drafty and at night I kept the heat at 58. They also grew and bloomed inside.

You can fool around with your growing spaces and find cool spots. I never worried about humidity during winter. The house was dry, the sunroom had higher humidity because of the lower temps.

All my Masdes and Dracs came from J&L in Connecticut. I'm not sure they are in business anymore. But the hybrids handle temps and humidity better.

Jane

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a couple of hybrids from JL but rooming is sparatic. my grow room it's about 65-70 degrees in the daytime and at night it's between 55 and 60 degrees. I know I keep them moist enough. I think Nick is on to something with the humidity. Unfortunately my grow room is in my house so spraying down the floors to keep the humidity up is not really an option. neither is having 80% humidity because of the mold issues.

I have baseboard heat instead of forced air, but I still seem to be having humidity issues. My humdifier is doing its best. It just is not able to cut it. I did just set up a small terrarium (not more than an aquarium with lights a fan and a top). And I have a couple Masdevallias in there. The humidity is around 70 80 % most of the day. The temperature doesn't vary as much so it stays around 68 degrees but maybe the humidity will be enough to help pull them through.

I will rehome the few I have left come spring. Except for my Mas oscitans and angulata. They appreciate me.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH