Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Southern Cymbidiums!

olyagrove
15 years ago

This year has been a great cymbidiu year! We had quite a few cold nights in early November, and just about every cymbidium I have spiked!

Here are a few:

Cymbidium Devon Wine "Burgundy"
{{gwi:142430}}From Orchids January 2009

Named, but I do not remember it now

From Orchids January 2009

Another "forgot the name" -need to check when I get home :)

Cym Yellow Cascade

Cym. Pistachio Mint 'Green Thumb'

Cym. East Blossom 'Suzaku'

I am thrilled about this beauty! So delicate; light pink flower and a few darker spots on the lip...Beautiful

And a few group shots - I was moving the plants in the garage, for the freezing night

Thanks for looking in!

Olya

Comments (14)

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Olya, they are all beautiful!!! Are any of them fragrant?

Sheila :)

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheila, thank you
    Yes! Quite a few of them are fragrant. Cym Nut has an outstanding fragrance - (pictured in the group shot) Cym. East Blossom is a Nut cross, and has a faint fragrance
    By the way, Nut does great in the South - I remember you wanting to try a few warm growers
    Yellow Cascade has a very pleasant honey smell, I really like it.

• charlesb
    15 years ago

Very nice.My fav is 'Green Thumb'
    Chales B.

• clintdawley
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!

You really did a great job with them this year. I, however, have such issues with these plants!

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Is the Nut the tall spiked one? I got a seedling plant last year but lost it during the summer. My plants went thru total neglect due to major family illness and the nut was one of the casualties. I'll try it again :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING!

• ifraser25
    15 years ago

I think Florida must be ideal for Cyms. Here in Brazil we struggle because we don't get the cold winter nights that you sometimes have. Having said which, I have one in spike now in the middle of summer. Do you ever get that sometimes?

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ifraser, Florida is one of the worst places for Cymbidiums to grow - hence, I am excited about my group blooming :) The only cymbidiums that will flower here are warm tolerant ones; the vast majority of cymbidiums will grow but not flower.
    You might be thinking California, the Cym heaven :) (low humidity, cooler summer nights, colder winter nights, no tropical rain season..)
    I grow a lot of Brazilian species (lots of catts and laelias) and suspect we have similar climate. Cold nights in winter are irregular and happen every two-three weeks, and I believe it is actually the cold nights during summer that matter.
    Since I grow warm tolerant cymbidiums, they often bloom in times different from winter.

Sheila, yes, Nut is the tall one. Very fragrant!

Thank you, I am glad you guys enjoyed a piece of my garden!
    Olya

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Olya - They're gorgeous - so lush, same as the surrounding foliage.

Even though I'm in Minnesota, I can't provide the cool temps for the cool-growing ones.

Do any of yours
    - stay small - 8"-10" high at maturity
    - smell good
    - have upright spikes?

Only the stay small is critical. The other 2 would make a Cym ideal for my set up.

Thanks, Whitecat8

PS Based on your success w/ Masde floribunda, it was on my list for the Petite Plaisance sale, and Richard found a teenie tiny one for me that's doing well so far. Thanks for sharing all those months ago.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, Whitecat!

I am glad your Masde floribunda is doing well! What an adorable little plant :)

I will need to measure Cym. East Blossom 'Suzaku' . It is pretty small. It has a pleasant smell
    I also have a NOID - and remember getting suggestions on what it might be, but cant remember right now! - that stays smallish for cymbidium. And it smells good!
    It is in an 8 inch pot..so might be a bit larger that you would want it to be. But sure it cute and fragrant :)

From Orchids December 2006

Olya

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Gorgeous Cyms, Olya...my favourites are the fragrant ones. :)

Carol

• hector
    15 years ago

Your devon wine looks almost identical to the devon odyssey that I have in bloom right now except mine is pendulous. It cascades down the side of the TV in the living room at the moment

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hector,
    My Cymbidium Devon Wine "Burgundy" is pendulous as well. Very small plant and a reliable bloomer
    Olya

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hector
    According to
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/844EE925-BB31-4838-AC8E-3C23DD64516E/0/orrevmar05.pdf
    Cymbidium Devon Wine = Cym. insigne x Cym. Devon Odyssey

...which explains the similarity

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022