Posted by treehaus 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 11:29

Holcoglossum flavescens

Holcoglossum flavescens

Holcoglossum flavescens

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holcoglossum flavescens

Such a tiny plant with large blooms. Very nice!

Carol

o

That is simply gorgeous beyond works! Great job!

Kevin

o

Charming little plant
Olya

o

Hi Kevin,

I completely agree, it is gorgeous beyond words! The credit goes to Andy's Orchids, though - I was fortunate enough to get away to San Diego in January (I live in MN too), so I visited Andy's. I had planned to get H. flavescens after seeing the one pictured on Andy's website, and it was beginning to spike when I got it. The flowers remind me of apple blossoms a little bit. No fragrance far as I can tell. I really like the short little spur on the bottom.

o

Very pretty and it looks very happy on it's mount.

o

Really nice flower. It's difficult to grow?? What kind of condition it need? I'm trying out amesiana and subulifolium, and heard all holcoglossum need really really cool condition.

o

I just started stalking this gallery since I am so new to orchids--my only visual knowledge of orchids extends to the ubiquitous Cattelya!... What a gorgeous beautiful and luminous orchid you have...It opens my eyes to wanting something besides the frilly and showy Cattelya that I so love....

What fragrance does it have?

o

Although it's white and has that little spur, it does not seem to have a fragrance, at least not one that I could or did detect when it bloomed last winter. When it bloomed, I figured it would be fragrant at night. In case you're wondering, it seems to be a very drought-tolerant and temperature tolerant orchid, and particularly for a Holcoglossum. I don't have any other Holcoglossums, but from what I understand, they tend to like things a little on the cool side. For a mounted plant, this has been, at least for me, a very easy plant to grow.

o

Beautiful!~Charm

o

It's absolutely stunning!

o

Tree,

Your orchid is a delight! Do you think it would be windowsill-able--without artificial light?

That lip looks borrowed from a snapdragon.

Sweetcicely

o

I had mine in a south-facing window during the winter, and now it's out on a porch. They can take a lot of light. I definitely think it's windowsill-able if it gets a strong dose of sun, and if you grow it mounted, it just needs to be watered sufficiently. It seems to be a pretty hardy little orchid. I got mine from Andy's orchids.

o

well, fragrance or not it is absolutely gorgeous! I think it's also because of your care, not because it's simply "hardy".

I hope my orchids get to be more mannerly... Right now I have too many old or "back" pseudobulbs that didn't have any leaves on them when they arrived at my doorstep ... I joked with my rose forum friends that my orchids look "lumpy" right now...

I'm sure if I had your graceful orchid I would not be saying lumps and bumps, hee-hee! Instead, I'd be braggggging about them and flouting their photos right and left...

o

Beautiful blooms!!!

Sheila :)

o

Is anyone currently growing this little orchid? I am looking for some cultural tips.

I have one which has spiked and blasted for two years in a row. It is in a southwest window for the winter. The room it winters in is about 50-58F at night and 70-75F during the day. It is mounted on tree fern and the mount is inside a small clay pot. I water once every 2-3 days in the winter. The humidity is a little low in the winter at about 40-45%.

Any advice on how to best provide for this tiny thing is greatly appreciated.

o

This should have gone on the discussion forum. My apologies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here