Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (16)

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Such a tiny plant with large blooms. Very nice!

Carol

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

That is simply gorgeous beyond works! Great job!

Kevin

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Charming little plant
    Olya

• treehaus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin,

I completely agree, it is gorgeous beyond words! The credit goes to Andy's Orchids, though - I was fortunate enough to get away to San Diego in January (I live in MN too), so I visited Andy's. I had planned to get H. flavescens after seeing the one pictured on Andy's website, and it was beginning to spike when I got it. The flowers remind me of apple blossoms a little bit. No fragrance far as I can tell. I really like the short little spur on the bottom.

• michoice
    15 years ago

Very pretty and it looks very happy on it's mount.

• wonderlen3000
    14 years ago

Really nice flower. It's difficult to grow?? What kind of condition it need? I'm trying out amesiana and subulifolium, and heard all holcoglossum need really really cool condition.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

I just started stalking this gallery since I am so new to orchids--my only visual knowledge of orchids extends to the ubiquitous Cattelya!... What a gorgeous beautiful and luminous orchid you have...It opens my eyes to wanting something besides the frilly and showy Cattelya that I so love....

What fragrance does it have?

• treehaus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Although it's white and has that little spur, it does not seem to have a fragrance, at least not one that I could or did detect when it bloomed last winter. When it bloomed, I figured it would be fragrant at night. In case you're wondering, it seems to be a very drought-tolerant and temperature tolerant orchid, and particularly for a Holcoglossum. I don't have any other Holcoglossums, but from what I understand, they tend to like things a little on the cool side. For a mounted plant, this has been, at least for me, a very easy plant to grow.

• Charm
    14 years ago

Beautiful!~Charm

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

It's absolutely stunning!

• sweetcicely
    14 years ago

Tree,

Your orchid is a delight! Do you think it would be windowsill-able--without artificial light?

That lip looks borrowed from a snapdragon.

Sweetcicely

• treehaus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had mine in a south-facing window during the winter, and now it's out on a porch. They can take a lot of light. I definitely think it's windowsill-able if it gets a strong dose of sun, and if you grow it mounted, it just needs to be watered sufficiently. It seems to be a pretty hardy little orchid. I got mine from Andy's orchids.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

well, fragrance or not it is absolutely gorgeous! I think it's also because of your care, not because it's simply "hardy".

I hope my orchids get to be more mannerly... Right now I have too many old or "back" pseudobulbs that didn't have any leaves on them when they arrived at my doorstep ... I joked with my rose forum friends that my orchids look "lumpy" right now...

I'm sure if I had your graceful orchid I would not be saying lumps and bumps, hee-hee! Instead, I'd be braggggging about them and flouting their photos right and left...

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Beautiful blooms!!!

Sheila :)

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Is anyone currently growing this little orchid? I am looking for some cultural tips.

I have one which has spiked and blasted for two years in a row. It is in a southwest window for the winter. The room it winters in is about 50-58F at night and 70-75F during the day. It is mounted on tree fern and the mount is inside a small clay pot. I water once every 2-3 days in the winter. The humidity is a little low in the winter at about 40-45%.

Any advice on how to best provide for this tiny thing is greatly appreciated.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

This should have gone on the discussion forum. My apologies.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery