Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerangis hyaloides

Posted by bcfromfl z8a NW FL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 12:17

This species is also known by the synonym, Aerangis pumilio. It's extremely tiny, and I believe is the smallest of the genus (unless there's another misidentified member floating around in some taxonomist's drawer! LOL) There are fourteen inflorescences total, some with only a couple of blooms, others with many more. The flowers themselves sometimes completely open, but most often remain cupped. They're approximately an eighth-inch across the semi-open petals, and perhaps a quarter-inch in length. I think by next season the inflorescences will be long enough to hang downward instead of outward as they are now.

If this plant would be closer in size to the others in the genus, it would be one spectacular plant! You almost have to use a magnifying glass to fully appreciate it!

-Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerangis hyaloides

How beautiful!
Olya

o

Way to go Bruce!
I'd have to say that one is in the top three of Angs I'd recommend other people to try. While I've killed at least one, they have always seemed very reliable bloomers and quite forgiving for such a tiny little thing.

o

Very pretty!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here