Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Demdrobium jensinkii (formerly know as aggregatum)

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 14:48

Officially changed it's name to jensinkii, probably because no one ever used agregatum. I always called it Dend aggrevatum as it aggravated the hell out of me over the years. Even though I knew exactly what needs to be done, I could not make that thing bloom with consistency. This is one of 4 plants I'm growing. The other 3 are giving me the finger. It has a short spike as shown and a longer one with about 15 buds, not yet open.

Comes from the slopes of the Himalayas, cool to warm grower, has to have a dry winter rest. I only water it with Holy Water but still have only patchy success.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Demdrobium jensinkii (formerly know as aggregatum)

Wasn't it aslo called Lindleyi at some point?

o

I love them, they are so pretty. I bought two and stuck them under a tree because I keep forgetting 'not to water them.'

You know it has rained on and off for the past two weeks.

I'm not expecting too much.

Jane

o

I had it at a species meeting Sunday with a few AOS judges in attendance. Here is the skivvy on Dend Aggrevatum. Aggregatum is out, never to be used again on these plants. They are to be called either Dend jensinkii or Den lidleyi, mine being lindleyi. Lindleyi has a yellow flower, jensinkii more orange and also has smaller bulbs.

Nick

o

That is actually aggregatum based on the size of the leaves in your photo. Den. jenkinsii is a very miniature orchid with a short (<6 inches) flower spray of 2-5 flowers. See link below for a great pic showing the miniature size of Dendrobium jenkinsii.

BN

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photo of Den. jenkinsii showing entire plant

o

Dend aggregatum no longer exists. It went the way of Schomburkia although I still call my SCKs that and always will. The longer spike opened, it is definitely yellow, not orange.

Nick

o

Lovely! I wish mine would bloom. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here