Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ancistrochilus rothschildianus

Posted by tucker_sp Z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 16:37

A perennial favorite of mine - one of the few African orchids that are not plain white.

Ancistrochilus rothschildianus

Closeup of flower:

A. Rothschildianus closeup

Enjoy!
Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ancistrochilus rothschildianus

Yes, it doesnt look very African I have to admit. Good growing.

o

Gorgeous! Mine isn't doing anything...what do you do for this one in the winter?

o

I treat mine the same all year. Once the flowers die off the new growth usually starts within a couple of weeks. No real rest period.

o

Thanks, smwboxer. Mine isn't dropping it's leaves - I've withheld water for a few weeks (after reading baker's culture sheets) but still nothing. Not sure what to do at this point...

o

Calvin - what smwboxer said - no rest period, but cooler and slightly less water in the winter, day period down to 10 hrs in midwinter, medium light. You see in the top pic that mine still has leaves.
Tucker

o

Mine typically starts to loose it's leaves once the spikes begin. Any that remain look pretty raggy so I remove them. Mine typically blooms spring and fall. I do not let it ever really dry out to much. Not sure why these are not very popular. It's easy to grow and the blooms last for ages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here