Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encyclia bractescens

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 17:58

Small species from Mexico, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador. Individual flowers are around 1 inches.

Encyclia bractescens

Entire plant. I think a lot of people grow this mounted, but I found it does well in a shallow pot with lava rock. I tried a regular sized deeper pot and it didnt do well since the roots seem to like spreading out near the surface.

Encyclia bractescens

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encyclia bractescens

oooh... very cool.

Lovely picture of the flower.

o

loveeee it

o

Brilliant. So how would you describe the difference between Encyclia, Anacheilum and Prostechea ?

o

Super cute!
Olya

o

• Posted by sdahl Near Yosemite (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 12:09

I like the colors!

Sharon

o

Neat - how tall is the entire plant?

o

Thanks everyone. I really love the grass-like foliage of this one.

ifraser - I won't tackle that subject.

Calvin - The whole thing with flowers is around 8 inches.

Kevin

o

Great growing! If I ever try this one again, that's what I'll use-I don't do well wth mounties. Is it fragrant for you?

Carol

o

Carol

I don't think so.

K

o

Mine is lightly fragrant during mid-day, but you have to have your nose right against the flower to detect any fragrance.

BN

o

Well done, Kevin. It looks great.

o

sorry to pull up an old thread but I just had to share that I finally got one of these puppies today at the royal botanical gardens orchid show...ever since kev's pic i've had this little seed of desire planted in my mind...then last month I saw a glorious one in RL at a show and I had to get it....and today, I found one for 20 bucks! A vendor had it...it was part of a fresh shipment of chids in from mexico (really awesome species epidendrum/encyclias, some laelias...most priced beyond my spending range - $30+)

I also got a coel. cristata for 8 dollars...and I *saw* a catt luteola which is also on the wish list big time...but I exercised some restraint...

o

Calvin

I think you'll really like this one. I was just looking over the plants and admiring this one again. It's in bloom right now with 4 spikes. There's just something very graceful and unassuming about the whole plant.

PS - I can't emphasize the lava rock enough for this one unless you want to grow it mounted. It's done so much better than it ever did in a regular pot with regular old bark mix.

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 18:56

Looks great, Kev! (Though it does bring back sad memories mine's demise .......)

Received one from a friend whom I have since lost contact with. I killed it I'm afraid. I was trying to grow it in regular media. From what you've said -- that was likely my problem. (& its such a culte lil thaing too -- just my size

o

Thanks for the tip - I'm assuming high light? Lucky I didn't shove it into sphag like I do with everything else. I want to put this in the orchid tank I'm planning - in your experience, do you think the high humidity is a pro or a con?

o

Yup - high light. Humidity doesn't seem to be an issue for this one. Mine really hasn't been that high this winter, but I have a feeling it would do well in your tank.

Paul

The problem I found with trying to grow this one in a pot is the roots really like to spread out on the surface of the medium. Any of the ones that went down into it rotted. Luckily I discovered the problem early and moved the plant to what its in now.

o

I'm glad this thread re-surfaced. I missed it the first time around. Kev, I will look for this plant and give it a try. Post us a pic of your plant, it sounds gorgeous. How tall is it now? Compact growers is my mantra now, no room for more space hogs.

Sheila :)

o

Sheila

Here's a quickie pic of the plant today - about a year since the first pic in this thread. The tallest leaf is around 7 inches. I noticed H&R has a FS in a 2 inch pot for $5. I think that's where I originally got mine and as I remember it was crawling out of it's pot at the time. They have some of the best deals in the $5-7 range. Also noticed that Oak Hill has one for $15.

Photobucket

o

Oh no...I am such an idiot - I just realized that I had enc. bractescens on my H&R order list (which I've already sent out)!! Cr*p -_-;

o

Very nicely grown, Kev...

This one looks like a total Kev plant as well. Nice and small...yet interesting!

o

Your plant looks very happy! I also grow mine like you do. I grow nearly all of my potted orchids in lava rock. I am glad the thread was brought back up.~Charm

o

Kev, that's beautiful. Good growing!!!

Sheila )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here