Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awsome, just awsome!

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 18:57

I had allocated $100 to purchase new orchids at the Westminster Orchid Show. Orchids I definitely did not need as I have too many of them. Since Kawamoto does not want to shlep his plants back to Hawaii, he and a few others give major (50%) discounts starting around 4PM Sunday. How can one resist that and the $100 were soon gone, put to good use. Lastly I ended up at Andy's, he does not give these discounts so I left him to last. He wasn't there which saves me money as he usually talks me into some 'Faaaantastic plants' I just have to have, without them my life would not be complete. I always fall for his stick, Harry, his brother does not that power over me so I felt safe.

So I'm chatting with Harry and he casually mentions that they have one specimen of Epi lacustre. Never heard of it so I asked him to show it to me. When I saw it, it blew me away. 'Wrap it up', I told him, 'We'll argue about price later'. They wanted $120 but I got it for $80 which is way more than I wanted to spend that weekend on much needed orchids.

It's such an awesome specimen that I decided to photograph it even though it's not in bloom. Comes from Central America and northern South America, cold to intermediate grower and likes it VERY wet. Water it daily, they told me and just in case water it again.

It's the most potent plant I have ever seen, about 4' tall, main stem 1" in diameter. Will make a cluster of flowers at the apex of the new growth, 3" to 4" in size, an umbrella of 10 or so the size of a cantaloupe. I'm going to grow it cool and water it daily. There is a darker leaved Panama version I need to get, not today, maybe tomorrow. Later today I'm going to start rehab.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awsome, just awsome!

The new growth.

Nick

o

We are warned not to water monopodial plants near the end of the day as water accumulating in the crown leaf can lead to rot there. This plants is built to do just that. The leaves make a funnel which catches rainwater and diverts it to the plant. Bring it on it seems to say.

Nick

o

Another view of the funnel.

nick

o

I love the part about rehab! That guy makes me think of my arundina graminifolia, or the thunia (now in plant heaven). I love that kind of orchid, they look quite pretty out of bloom, even when getting roughed up outdoors!

o

Yeah, rehab - and you'll fall off the wagon as quickly as all of the celebrities do, although your consequences probably won't be so dire.
Tucker

o

I've had this thing since Feb and it has been busy. The new growth seen in the pictures above is now 57" tall and appears to be done growing.

Nick

o

The next new growth is over 1' tall.

Nick

o

There are 2 new ones coming.

Nick

o

Thje 57" tall new growth is finished growing because it's making a flower stalk. Doesn't look too good, I hope after all this time it isn't blasting.

Nick

o

What's left of the last bloom.

Nick

o

I watered everything in the morning. This picture was taken at 3 in the afternoon showing how these unique leaves trap water for the plant's use.

Nick

o

Nick, I hope the web on the second from last pic isn't from Spider mites?

I have found them deadly to my other plants, if not caught early.

o

No, that web is from a real spider, I'll clean it up.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here