Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

It's Cypripedium time.

orchidnick
10 years ago

1st one out of the barn: Cyp formosana. Not from Formosa but from China.

Nick

Comments (33)

• inga007
    10 years ago

Lovely.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Beauty!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a second one which came from Raising Rairities, a US vendor, it opened just about the same time. Looks very similar to the one which came from China but there are some obvious differences..

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second one to bloom is Cyp flavum from southwest China, grows at high elevations and gives you the choice of cool or cold growing. They all have Chinese names, this one's is: Huang Hua Shao Lan . All came out of the fridge Feb 10th. If you look at the pots some have not even broken ground yet, others are anywhere from 1/2" to 6" tall.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side view.

Nick

• shirley-z-8-tx
    10 years ago

What a nice collection. All are very pretty.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp tibeticum next. Found in the Chinese Himalayas, Sichuan China, Bhutan, Assam India and the eastern Himalayas at high elevation, has the habit of blooming soon after breaking ground, before the leaves form. Leaves will form after the bloom is finished.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp franchetti is usually darker. I wonder if it is mislabeled. Anyway, has nice form and 3 of them are coming in the same pot. Eventually one hopes for colonies growing in a 2 gallon Cymbidium pot with 10 plus flowers Also from China.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last but not least, an American terrestrial Cyp pubesence. It is found from Quebec to Arizona but not in California. Also slightly different forms are found in Europe and temperate Asia. Has very nice strong colors. Also making multiple plantlets second year I have had it.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cypripedium Victoria (pubescens x fasciolatum), has a very dominant pouch. One almost has to look down into it to get a view of the rest of the flower. Nice strong yellow.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A better feel for the strong yellow.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp franchettii is the first one to begin to look like a colony. There will be 4 blooms and there are 4 additional plantlets growing. Even though these plantlets won't bloom this year, there is a good chance they will next year. Eventually one hopes for colony formation of all the Cypripedium but it takes time and patience.

One negative thing I have noticed is that even though the pot was not moved and their light source remaned the same, they are all facing in a different direction. Would look better if they lined up and all faced the light source. Oh well, can't have everything.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The light source is at 12 o'clock. Only 2 of the 4 flowers face in that direction the other 2 are facing out at 3 and 9 o'clock. The wires only support the flowers as they are heavy for the stalks. The wires do not change the direction the flowers are facing.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp pubesence is the only other one that has honored me with multiple blooms. Again, only one light source yet blooms 180 degrees opposed.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp henry, a little subtle cutie from China.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves on the Cypripediums look incredibly healthy, perfect and vigorous at this time of the year. Last year by July they all looked crappy and I was wondering if there was something wrong. Dormancy does not start until October. I'm going to make sure the snails and other critters stay away from them and we'll see how long they last this year.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp fasciolatum is found in Hubei, Guizhou, Sichuan states of China. It is the only one so far that has a scent. Smells subtly like a rose.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp passerianum. Only found in Alberta, Canada and Montana. Has a special significance for me as at age 16, with my first car and first real girlfriend, I went to a place called Bragg Creek, close to Calgary, where she noticed these funny little plants with their cute white pouches. I scored points by pretending to be very interested in them.

The next day, which makes this memorable, the Calgary Herald featured a story about 'Orchids growing in the frozen north'. It showed pictures of the plants we saw the previous day. They withstand temps of -40F for up to 6 weeks at a time in January and come back to bloom every spring.

50 years later, I was up there visiting friends and family and we went to Bragg Creek. I returned to the spot and there they were, more than before. I dug a couple up (sorry, we were not 'green' then) and brought them back to California where they promptly died as I had not idea then how to look after them.

I have had this plant for 2 years now and it is blooming for the first time. Maybe I should take a couple back to Alberta for restitution.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp regin alba. The regular one is the state flower of Minnesota. Very pristine white, just opened. Will loose some of the crystalline white as the flower ages.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again I'm impressed how healthy and perfect the leaves look on these plants. Does not last, as it gets warm they loose their perfection and fade long before dormancy starts in October.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp tibeticum var Frosch. Compare it to the earlier posted Cyp tibeticum and note the difference. Both low to the ground.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp tibeticum var calcicolum also known as Cyp smithii. This is the third tibeticum variety recognized. All similar yet a little different. I don't know how different it needs to be to be recognized as a variety. True breeding populations are also a must.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems to be expanding rapidly. Last year I got it as a 1 growth plant. After the winter in the fridge came out with 3 noses (growth) and is going to have 3 flowers. Unlike a Pleione for example there are not 3 bulbs under the ground. One plant with one root system and 3 growths shooting up. Hopefully it will have 6 next year but still be one plant. In order to divide, one has to pull the root system apart.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp Phillip is a hybrid between kentuckiense and macranthos,

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another 'happy pot' which saw 1 plant go in last spring and now we have 3. For every one like that I have one that was one in last year, none out this year. I'm beginning to get the hand of them but they are not a sure thing.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of Phillip.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyp californicum found all over the NW US. This can get 3 feet tall with up to 12 flowers on each growth. I have had it for 2 years and it has been a reluctant bloomer. It multiplied alright where now it has 5 growths but only one of them is blooming, 2 flowers on a stalk no more than 8" tall. I hope it will be more robust in the future.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it's a little cutie.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both of the flowers are on the same stalk.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cypripedium X columbianum is a natural hybrid between montanum x pubescens. it's found in the Pacific NW.

Nick

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Beauties! Californicum is my favorite of the ones you posted! I'm trying to convince my cousin to buy and plant at least one, as it should do well where she would put it. Spreading the orchid love one plant at a time!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida