Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knick_knack

Slc Bright Circle

knick-knack
15 years ago

1st time bloom and flower is 3" across from a 7" tall plant. Cross was made by AOS judge Peter Lin from CA...

-Harvey

Comments (7)

• Charm
    15 years ago

Exquisite!~Charm

• jwv_ont
    15 years ago

Very nice. A color that is hard to miss!

I believe that while Peter T. Lin registered the cross, the cross was made by H&R in Hawaii. Peter purchased a number of compots from which he has had some awards, and many nice 'select' cultivars. (see the link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter T. Lin's

• knick-knack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

For some reason it's hard to capture the true color and detail with my camera when it comes to red and deep magenta flowers. I need to take lots of shots every time just to find the right picture :(

I think you're right jwv_ont. After checking RHS, it's indeed registered by Peter and cross made by H&R(Roy Tokunaga?). Originally, I was getting the impression he made it because he also created a cross between Slc C of L and Pole Star where I purchased several seedlings from him (that has yet to bloom). BTW, do you grow any Slc C of L hybrids?

-Harvey

• jwv_ont
    15 years ago

I grow a number of Circle of Life hybrids including; Pot. Martha Clarke (x Blc. Love Sound), Pot. Cayenne (x Blc. Buttercup), Pot. Lebenkreis (x Pot. Rubescence), Pot. Tokyo Life (provisional) (x Lc. Tokyo Magic), Golden Circle (x Blc. Goldenzelle), unnamed(x Slc. Final Touch), unnamed (x Lc. Irene Finney). I have been impressed with the overall quality of the flowers that I have seen(although not all of these have bloomed for me yet).

I also have few plants of a remake of Circle of Life, plus some second generation crosses using Pot. Martha Clarke, and Pot. Golden Circle as parents, all of which came from Fred Clarke at Sunset Valley Orchids (SVO). None of these have bloomed for me yet (although they are close to blooming size), however I have seen photos of some already that show great promise.

A friend of mine had a Pot. Tokyo Life (prov.) awarded an AM AOS this weekend at our local show in Toronto. It was from SVO. Peter T. Lin (who is in the process of naming the cross) and Fred Clarke apparently made the cross (using different cultivars) around the same time.

• knick-knack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Quite an impressive list you got there!

Do you know where I can get x Lc Irene Finney seedlings? I remember seeing the H&R website selling this cross 2 years ago as compots but don't know if anyone is reselling it as seedlings this time... I'd go as far as willing to trade some x Blc Chia Lin seedlings for it ;)

As for the Slc C of L remake, do you know if the breeder/source (Keith Davis?) used a yellow S. Coccinea? I'd love to get some of these too...

-Harvey

• paul_
    15 years ago

Very nice! Been looking for one but it doesn't seem to be commonly available these days.

• knick-knack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Paul. What I noticed lately is that some well-known breeders sometimes would offer compots of interesting crosses to the public instead of seedlings (which is challenging to grow if one has limited space and experience). Once this window of opportunity is gone, it's hard to find resellers, who would sell individual (larger) seedlings, at a later date...only chance left is to have connections amongst serious hobbyist/growers to get some promising crosses/divisions.

-Harvey