Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ascocentrum miniatum

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 22:23

This little Vanda relative has been used on countless occasions to produce red-colored hybrids but it's such a cute little thing, it's well worth growing in its own right. Very easy and a regular flowerer, twice a year when happy.

Ascocentrum miniatum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ascocentrum miniatum

Are you sure this isn't a curvifolium or another related family member? I'm pretty sure that miniatum is yellow in color, but of course I could be mistaken.

Whatever it is, it's a true beauty.
Thanks for sharing,
~Jem

o
RE: Ascocentrum miniatum (?) curvifolium (?)

I get very twitchy when people question my IDs because very often they are right. "Miniatum" mean copper-colored and this is definitely red. The leaf shape and those little blotches also look more like curvifolium than miniatum. The problem is Brazilians are very good at growing things but not very good at botany - and neither am I. I usually accept the ID I am given when I buy a plant for want of anything better, but this won't be the first time I have had to change a label!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here