Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Blooms from the orchid tank

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

I know most of you don't check this area very often. To the other gallery dwellers - I do come to this section every single time I visit gardenweb, so take heart :-) I love seeing all your great photos.

Not the most glamorous of shots, but I thought I'd snap a few photos of some plants blooming in situ...in the tank that is :-)

Phal. equestris, Dend. Peng Seng (this is the fourth time it's blooming within 12 months!), Ancistrochilus sp. (Got this as thomsonianus but it might be rothschildianus...not sure. No credit to me for bloms), Coelogyne fimbriata (my first coelogyne to bloom)

-Calvin

Comments (10)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Hmmmmmmm....

I really like that Ancistrochilus. Nice contrasting colors. I don't know anything about these now that I think about it.

Kevin

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

yea, I'd say it's rothschildianus.

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Beautiful blooms.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone...some other people say it's rothschildianus too. Either way, the smell isn't too nice at all :S

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Yay Phal. equestris! There's something I really like about that little guy. I wish mine would hurry up and bloom again. Also, I still really love the green/orange combo of that Dend.

The other two are lovely too, even the one that doesn't smell so nice ; )

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

They all look great, but I like the Anc., even though it doesn't smell nice. :)

Carol

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Especially like the Deng Peng. Congrats on the Coelogyne. I've been eyeing that one for awhile 'cause it stays small.

Whitecat8

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

That is definitely Anc. roth. Thompsonianus has white flowers. Mine is spiking for this year so I should be posting pics of it in the next month. Looks great!

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone :)
    Carol - yes I love the anc. despite it's stinkiness. I'm a little apprehensive because apparently it need some sort of dormancy...it seems like it wants to drop it's leaves right now, but it's nearly spring so I don't know what to do. I never do well with things that need a lot of dormancy.

WC8 yes the pengseng is one of my favorites and it keeps surprising me with blooms! I'm super excited about it's parent, dend. tobaense, which is spiking for me right now. As for the coelogyne, it's an amazing plant because it seems to produce masses of new growths each year...which means tons of divisions for trading/gifts!

Mr. B - how do you care for yours, specifically in the winter? I saw your photos of thomsonianus last year which led me to question the identity of this one.

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

Well...I guess I do the same thing all year round which is to water once a week or so (drench), let dry mostly between, and keep in moderately bright light.

My A. thom. grew very slowly for a few years in a small plastic pot in sphag. When it got too big, just for kicks i put some hydroton in the bottom of a square shaped shallow tupperware type container that I'd burned some holes in, and filled in with sphag around the plant. It really seemed to take off. I've now potted up to an even larger rectangular plastic cake box. LECA in the bottom and sphag over it.

These plants grow in mats of moss/lichen/epiphytes on thick branches near the trunks in dense jungles. So you can imagine they experience soaking wetness at the roots followed by gradual drying. They do lose their leaves by the way, if you didn't know. Once they get old enough they'll mature a new growth which will then start to grow spikes as it starts to lose the leaves. After blooming the bulb will send out short rhizomes (kinda) leading to new growths. Over time the original bulbs will shrivel up and die so you end up with a ring of plants around a mostly dead/inactive middle of old bulbs. Regular green moss has always seemed to love my Ancistrochilus pot, so that and ferns would be a good indicator of how happy things are. They're awesome. I just got a roth myself about a month or two ago and i'm pretty sure it is growing spikes. The flowers are long lasting so i may get lucky and have both species bloom at the same time! *tingles*

However, Angs are better.