Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Dracula are coming, the Dracula are coming.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 13:59

The Dracula are beginning to burst into bloom. Here is Drac robledorum 'Anna'.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Dracula are coming, the Dracula are coming.

It's one of the large ones, 9" from tip to tip.

Nick

o

Very beautiful! Or frightening if I was the one expected to grow it. Gb

o

Love the good photo of it, but are there lady draculas too? :>) ha-ha

o

Dracula antonii, a small one. I have 2 even smaller and cuter in bloom but I can't get them in focus with my cell phone 'camera'. Will try again tomorrow.

o

Dracula sergoi, one of the smallest, less than 1/2" across. Real cute. Made about 7 of them at the same time. You can see three, there are four more on the other side.

Nick

o

Dracula chimaerea, another large one.

Nick

o

Another view, a little more menacing.

Nick

o

Dracula nicterina, same size.

Nick

o

Dracula janetiae, medium sized mounted, makes flushes with multiple blooms.

Nick

o

Dracula astute 'Kent', a medium sized one that makes a flush with many blooms at the same time. It's just getting started.

Nick

o

Dracula bella 'Alex', another large one.

Nick

o

Dracula veneficia, another medium to small one.

Nick

o

Very cool.

I only grew one Dracula in my life, it was called 'Felix'. I bought it because its my husbands name. I wound up giving it away to someone with better conditions. I had gotten it to bloom twice but I could see it was on a downhill slide.

You are very lucky,
Jane

o

Dracul radio-syndactoly a natural hybrid. This one is the ultimate monkey face i have seen it several times in non-orchid write ups about unusual plants.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Dracula Raven (Drac roezlii 'Cows Hollow' x Drac vampira 'Elena') is probably the darkest large Dracula I have. The roezlii parent is as dark but half the size. The vampira parent gave it the 10" wingspan.

Nick

o

Another view. Notice the three buds in the background. All 4 should be open this Sunday when I'm going to a species meeting. The species snobs are going to have this one showed down their throat whether they like it or not.

Nick

o

Dracyla roezlii 'San Francisco' a parent of the Raven hybrid. Just as dark but not as big.

Nick

o

Dracula Jacqueline (benedictii x vampire) a medium sized cupped flower. Different concept but gives the typical 'Monkey Face'.

Nick

o

Quite a few are in bud. One has to stand right underneath and look up at the little monkeys. At least they are not howling and throwing dung at you.

Nick

o

Your draculas are stunning. I especially enjoy the Dracula Jacqueline and the Dracula roezlii 'San Francisco'. I wish I could replicate the conditions that make them happy.

o

The unidentified multiples above are Jacqueline.

Making them happy is somewhat of a paradox. Once everything is in place they are totally easy. I spend very little time 'working' with them, it's all enjoyment. Watering repotting in fresh moss once a year and dividing them is what I do.

The trick is really to be somewhat of a handy man and create the set up, then stand back and watch them thrive. You need a greenhouse, then hook up a swamp cooler on a dual phase thermostat. Comes on at 75F anytime and also at at 55F between 8PM and 5AM. The drop of the night time low is very important. Set up an RO watering system and a RO humidifier set for 80% humidity. Multiple fans keeping air moving. 60% Aluminet in the winter add another 30% for the summer. A heater keeps the winter temp above 50F.

Once all this is in place Dracula, Masdies, Pleuros, cold loving Coelogynes, Maxillarias and others just explode. Others stay alive without exploding, eg Cypripediums Pleiones some Paphs and Phrags and quite a few terrestrials.

Building the cold greenhouse has added more to my enjoyment of this hobby than anything else I have done. Initially some expense and work and then everything runs itself and the fun starts. Very few people are willing to go to the trouble, I love showing it to others but none that I know have taken the plunge.

Part of the challenge is to do this in scorching Southern California. None of it is necessary in coastal San Francisco where the natural conditions are well suited for these plants and they thrive without any of the above hardware. My original cool greenhouse was about 160 sq ft. I rebuilt it to 360. Where one swamp cooler was sufficient for the small one it was inadequate for the larger one and I added a second one plus a homemade one. We just cruised through the first challenge, Monday topped out at 95F in my backyard and the 3 units kept everything well below 80F.

When we get a Mexican hurricane pouring hot, humid (Floridian like) air up from Mexico, the swampers don't work. I have a window air conditioner installed to take the edge of a situation like that but nothing really helps and the plants just have to suffer through it. As long as it's only a couple of days they can take it.

The paradox is that people marvel at how I can grow these difficult plants. Not difficult at all, in fact totally easy. Just create the set up or move to San Francisco, the rest happens all by itself.

Nick

o

Her's Jane's Drac felix Hannibal' Small flower but makes a rush of several hundred when it gets going. This plant over fills a 10" baskets showing that Dracula can get huge also. Most people don't think of them being capable of that.

Nick

o

Dracula antonio 'Lil', aptly named as it is less than 1/2" across. Cute.

Nick

o

Dracula fulgifera.

Nick

o

Dracula navarron 'Juan'. Another monkey face.

Nick

o

Dracula robledorum 'Anna'.

Nick

o

A close up of robledorum.

Nick

o

Dracula Transylvania (vampira x gigas). Named after the famous count. A nice hybrid.

Nick

o

Most people don't think of Dracula as big plants. Wrong, they are quite capable of reaching a large size. This is Drac felix, 28" across. It is my biggest but there are others not too far behind.

Nick

o

Dracula velutina var xanthia. A small one, 3 x as expensive as the regular one at Ecuagenera.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

I love them! I just can't get the setup for them right now. One day I'll be just like you Nick!

o

I hope you'll get such a setup someday it will open doors you didn't think possible. I tried Dracula and others before I had the cold GH and was uniformly unsuccessful killing every last one.

Nick

o

Here is a small flock of Ravens. This plant caused a little humor at a species society meeting on Sunday. I presented it with a small apology because it is a hybrid and we were at a species club. It's too beautiful not to look at it, I said and there was general agreement.

The humorous part came when the speaker was asked to make 'Speaker's Choice' known and he selected it. "B-b-b-but it's a hybrid" stammered the Pres. Well I like it he said. So for the first time in the 30 year history of this species club a hybrid will be featured as the speaker's choice in their news letter.

Nick

o

"Sock it to them"
Lovely blooms and photo.

o

OMG! I can't believe what you are growing.

I would not have a life. I wouldn't be able to do another thing. I am so amazed at your beautiful collection.

Jane

o

I agree with Jane . Your collection is amazing! I would never leave.

o

There has been a confusion of tags. The 2 versions of Dracula robledorum I posted are actually 2 versions of Dracula gorgona. Here is the real Dracula robledorum 'Anna'.

Nick

o

Incredible show. Magnificent collection of dracs! Thanks for explaining your process. Maybe one day Ill create a setup such as yours. What part of SoCal do you live in?

o

I live in Lakewood right next to Long Beach. It is, however, at least 10 miles to the ocean so it does get warm.

Nick

o

Dracula amaliae 'Walter'. Some are nearly white. I have another clone 'Ghost' have not seen it bloom can't wait.

Nick

o

Close up. Is that a monkey face or what?

Nick

o

Profile. This one is at least medium sized.

Nick

o

Dracula benedectii,, small, very dark inside the cupped flower.

Nick

o

Profile.

Nick

o

Dracula antonii 'Lil', a small cutie.

Nick

o

Profile. I posted it before but the cell phone could not take focused pictures of small things, hence the duplication.

Nick

o

Dracula vinacea, another 'Tiny Tim'.

Nick

o

Profile.

Nick.

o

Closeup, would hate to meet that one in a dark alley.

Nick

o

Dracula psittacina, a bunch of little birds peeking over the edge of the nest.

Nick

o

Love your close-ups.

o

Dracula vampira x chimaera.

Nick

o

And a close up for Inga. The chimaera gives it a warm glow,

Nick

o

Thank you, for the close-up. It's a very clear photo.

o

It has been posted before but hit bloomed as if on cue. Here is the chimaera displaying the sunny glow I was talking about.

Nick

o

Chimaera is cupped a characteristic also passed on partially to the hybrid.

Nick

o

Dracula tsubotae another cute little monkey face.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Nick, how big is your Green house? :>) Ha-ha!

Love each and every one of your postings.

Have you heard of a Dancing Spider?

Wow! I didn't realize how easy it was to post a photo.

o

I have heard of horny, male spiders dancing so that the love of their life can bite their heads off. Sounds like a California marriage! What is that plant you posted? Never heard of it.

Here is Masdevallia Rio Tomebamba (Drac diana x Masd uniflora). A nice pastel colored hybrid.

Nick

o

Side view, very flat.

Nick

o

That is the only name given.by the poster of this photo.
I have no idea,what it is, but it was supposed to be an orchid.
It caught my eye. Just wondered. If anybody knew it.

o

Corybus accuminatus, the common name in New Zealand is the 'Dancing spider orchid'. Used to be Nematoceras accuminatus but they changed names on it.

Nick

o

Check out the 'Dancing Spiders'

https://www.google.com/search?q=dancing+spider+orchid+plant&client=firefox-a&hs=b0z&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fGtsU-K8O6fi8gHMmID4DA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=610

Nick

o

Thank you Nick.
Knew you would know about it.
Inga

o

Another little one, Dracula inequalis.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

My NOID Dracula. Dracula are no different from any other orchids. Most live, some die, most bloom, some don't and most of them have neat little tags with their names, some don't. This is my NOID, I have no idea what it is but I'm going to go to San Francisco later this month for the Pleurothallis Alliance meeting and will bring it. Between Gary Meyer, John Leathers and everyone else there, they'll probably have an ID for me.

Nick

o

It has 7 or 8 spikes coming out the bottom which is normal enough.

Nick

o

But then it has 3, make that 4 spikes standing up which is only seen on select few Dracula. That should aid in the identification.

Nick

o

Very interesting to see the buds.

o

Dracula erythrocodon synonym Dracula soderoi subspecies erythrocodon. Somew similar to soderoi but definitely different. When soderoi blooms one needs to compare them. This one only makes a single flower per spike soderoi can have multiples.

Nick

o

The flower is wide open, only a motivated pollinator can get in there.

Nick

o

You can't see the dracula "face", that's for sure, but a lovely looking bloom.

o

Dracula woolwardii, medium size.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Dracula Jake Sprankle 'Hill View'' could not find out the genealogy of this on. Large size, nice shape.

Nick

o

Another view. Should make a 8' x 4' poster of this and tape it to the ceiling of your toddler's bedroom. Nice peaceful view to go to sleep with.

Nick.

o

Side view I like it's proud 'in your face' stance.

Nick

o

Lovely Drac. but this post is getting very long.

o

There are a few different Dracula, nothing like Pleuros or Masdevallia. I think very few people are interested in Dracula and only those interested will bother looking at them. I'll just keep adding them as they bloom and stop at 100. Dracula are my #1 interest and in the process of collecting them I have amassed 152 different ones. Many are still small seedlings but quite a few of them bloomed this spring and are getting into their own.

This is Drac ameliae 'Ghost'. Almost white, quite different from the amaliae I posted earlier on. I'm just an amateur, I know someone in San Francisco who probably has a dozen different amaliae. One of them has tails more than 3x as long as the regular ones and probably is the only clone like that in America. He snagged it from a collector in Columbia.

Dracula can grow on you, this guy grows nothing but Dracula and does not want to look at a flower unless one has to look up from underneath the plant. His collection is stunning, out of this world..

Nick

o

I have mostly posted one flower or two but they are quite capable of putting on a show. Here is Drac astute 'previously posted which is putting out a flush. I have counted over 50 spikes arrange in a 360 degree arc around the plant.

Nick

o

Another view of the 'flush'. Dracula are usually not given credit for this type of behavior but a 10 year old large Dracula filling a 10" net pot or basket can put on a spectacular show.

Nick

o

Dracula inequalis, previously posted, a small plant just getting started but it wants to get in on the action. Expect a show when it gets big.

Nick

o

Dracula cordoba, medium sized nice and flat.

Nick

o

Dracula rezekiana, small, cute.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Dracula woolwardii 'Juan'. Large, nicely shaped.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Dracula carcinopsis hard to find, had to order it dirctly from Columbia and wait 6 month to get it. Finally bloomed, small with the flowers not fully open.

Nick

o

Dracula gorgona 'Stoney Point'. A red version of gorgona. The regular gorgona is posted earlier, no comparison, the red jumps in your face on this one.

Nick

o

I like the red one!
Maybe start a new thread.
Dracula II or Son of Dracula
Joanne

o

Dracuvallia Blue Boy is a hybrid between Masdevallia uniflora x Dracula chimaera. There are several clones, Dracuvallia Blue Boy 'Cow Hollow' AM/AOS being one of them. The ones I have seen look similar.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Dracula belleropheron, medium sized hairy.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Dracula orientalis, dark, medium sized, does not open fully, legs crossed, must be shy.

Nick

o

And last but not leasdt, Dracula vampira 'Walter', the king or queen (can you be both?) of the Dracula. Hawk Hills has at least 25 different clones of this species. Some sell for $500, this one is a $70 item.

Well we reached 100, more Dracula are coming but we'll save them for next year.

Nick.

o

Yikes, at the price. I love the purple colour. The face makes me think of a horse.

o

It's actually black but the camera simply does not want to take a picture of a black flower. I have no idea what the reason is as there is no hesitation to show a black pot or some other black object. A black flower will come out either brownish or purplish but very seldom the true color of the flower.

Since I'm not a photographer but just a carbon based life form that clicks the 'shoot' button of the camera, I'm helpless to correct this inaccuracy. I belong to a species club where the 1st VP is an experienced photographer and she relates that she has the same problem. She knows how to photo-shop or otherwise tweak the end product, that way she overcomes this problem. I don't know how to do that so you get what the camera sees. A black pot remains black but a black flower takes on a different hue.

Nick

o

I thought you could not post part 100. Oh well!

Here is a side view. Again, the camera recognized the black background but not the plant's black lines which are just as dark.

Nick

o

Interesting, well we will pretend that purple or brown is black.
Thanks for correcting me. I'm a point and click photographer, my cameras problem are red flowers in the sunlight.

o

Right, they turn yellow unless you shield them from the sunlight.

Nick

o

Dracula pusila, not exactly a corsage type. Small and insignificant but it's a Dracula and deserved a place at the table.

Nick

o

Dracula schudellii.

Nick

o

Close up.

Nick

o

Dracula chiroptera 'Grendal'.a large stately flower.15" tip to tip.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

WOW! A lovely giant.

o

Dracuvallia Qualaquixa, don't know the parentage, a Dracula and a Masdevallia. Very different looking withe ridges of the flower.

Nick

o

Has long tails and unlike many of them stands up on it's own, I'm not holding it.

Nick

o

Side view, I like this one, it is different.

Nick

o

I like this one too. It's waxy looking, not hairy.

o

Dracula soderoi 'Firecracker' is different from the Drac soderoi subspecies erythrocodon which was posted earlier. Ist bloom this year, very late.

Nick

o

This flower is fully open, you can see the little slits which are big enough for the pollinator to get in. Whoever that might be.

Nick

o

Certainly very different. Hard to believe that this is an open bloom.

o

Dracula gorgona 'Stoney point' has been working 7 spikes. it's a sequential bloomer and looses flowers as it makes new onew. today there were 4 open at the same time, a first. I attempted top photograph them without breaking them off.

Nick

o

Left to their own devices, they are all over the place.

Nick

o

Wow ! I never see this type of flowers. Excellent flowers. Different from other flowers. Bravo !

o

Lovely photo. Looks spindly, glad you didn't break anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here