Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinn_on

Schom. tibicinis...self pollinated?

carolinn_on
15 years ago

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my previous post about a week ago, asking about the species name of this Schom. I had known that is was a Schom/Mcp, but was just was curious as to who could name the species of this previously noid Schom before it bloomed.

It bloomed the day after the post, and I was thrilled of course, but then noticed the blooms weren't opening fully. Upon a more detailed inspection later this a.m. the flowers revealed that they were actually closing.. It's extremely rare for any orchid I grow to be pollinated (except for 1 or 2 that I think selfed...).

One thought led to another: Did I grow and bloom this magnificent orchid for years just to have it self-pollinate? Or maybe an insect assisted...it doesn't matter. I've come to the conclusion that this orchid did not bloom to satisfy me...it's doing what comes naturally...to propagate itself, which is the purpose of blooms on any plant. This I realized previously, but it really hit home with this orchid.

I took photos of the plant before the blooms closed off ...they were taken on the 20th, 23rd and 26th (today). The second photo was taken before the lights came on, accounting for the difference in shading.

Carol

{{gwi:149495}}

{{gwi:149496}}

{{gwi:149497}}

Comments (7)

• ifraser25
    15 years ago

Hi Carol, wouldn't it be a little odd for insects to pollinate this in N Ontario at this time of year? Plus its quite rare for all the blooms to get pollinated. I keep my orchids in the garden here in Brazil and I rarely get more than one or two "take". - Ian.

• Ginge
    15 years ago

Hi Carol , I would suspect a different reason for the blooms to close A possible gas leak , cold draft , brown scale on the spike ? these are just thoughts .

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ian, I don't think it was insect-pollinated, but maybe it selfed itself. What a weird way of saying it..lol.

Gin, none of the above with one exception...there is a small draft. I'm going to tie the spike to a light stand, away from the window (but not too close to the light) and see if it makes a difference. The second spike started blooming yesterday, and it's far from the windows...I'm keeping an eye on that one, too.

Thanks!

Carol

• Ginge
    15 years ago

I forgot to say .I love the colors and the ruffled edges I think I need one :) Gin

• tampaart
    14 years ago

Carol,

Strange as it may seem to you and the other members, my tibicnis did the exact same thing a few years ago. Every single flower closed early and set seed pods.

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tampaart, that is exactly what my tibicinis is not doing now. The last few days I found 3 dried fallen blooms and at least 2 had intact pollin(sp).

Gin might have hit the nail on the head when she asked if there was a draft...I did find a small one (but that's why they're drafts, right)? and tied the bloom spike further away from it. I'm watching both spikes and spraying the buds a bit more with pure water, as the air is dry. So far, it seems to be working. Can't tell much yet...need a couple of days to be sure.

Thank you for the wonderful photos!

Carol

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tampaart, that is exactly what my tibicinis is not doing.. The last few days I found 3 dried fallen blooms and at least 2 had intact pollinia.

Gin might have hit the nail on the head when she asked if there was a draft...I did find a small one (but that's why they're drafts, right?), and tied the bloom spike further away from it. I'm watching both spikes and spraying the buds a bit more with pure water, as the air is dry. So far, it seems to be working. Can't tell much yet...need a couple of days to be sure.

Thank you for the wonderful photos!

Carol

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists