Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coelogyne nitidum.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 15:03

Found from Nepal, Bhutan, upper Myanamar, northeastern India, Bangladesh, China (Yunnan), to Thailand and Laos. Warm to cool grower, I'm growing it cool. Another nice Coelogyne, I also love these guys and will try to get more as they become available. Andy has a few more but they don't sound that exiting.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coelogyne nitidum.

Holds the flowers straight up, about 1/2 the height of the leaves.

Nick

o

Do you give your nitidum a dry winter?

o

Really nice! I'm going to have to look for that one!
Tucker

o

The second spike opened. Oops, it's got a brother from another mother! Jay Phal shows it with orange lip. My initial posting must be an alba variety. This spike came from what appears to be the same plant but when you unpot it, it's obvious there are 2 plants squashed together.

It's called spiking, putting 2 or 3 seedlings in the same pot in order to get a number of leaves that will allow it to go to market sooner. Works real well as long as you put in the same seedlings. Occasionally they mess up and here is an example.

Nick

o

I just noticed the question. No, I don't give it a dry winter. Dr Holger Perner says that many of the Chinese plants should get a dry cold winter then a very wet summer when they get their monsoons.

Here are the 2 plants.

Nick

o

Here is the alba in it's new pot.

Nick

o

And here are both of them. I'm not complaining although I don't like it when they do that. You sit there with what seems to be a large plant that won't bloom, when in reality you have 2 smaller plant that are not blooming size yet.

Nick

o

Hey Tucker. When I unpotted them, the one with the orange on the lip had a group of growths hanging there. Initially I thought there were 3 plants but then I could tell it was connected to the rest with the rhizome. Easy division though. If you want to trade for a piece of the orange-lip one, contact me.

Nick

o

Both are gorgeous. Thanks for thw cultural info.

o

I'd like to trade - you have so much more than I have that I'm not sure what I have to offer - I'll think about it, and if you have anything in particular that you're looking for, let me know.
Tucker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here