Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lycaste skinneri alba.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:09

This is the real 'Monca Blanca'. A previous post showed an almost real one, the yellow throat is one of the give a ways. It made it's first bloom just before Xmas and has produced flower after flower since then. I gave it to my Guatemalan in laws to include in their Xmas celebration and have not seen it since. They worship that thing and won't let go of it until it finishes blooming.

Finally got a picture of it which I did not take. It is white all right but I suspect the whiteness has been enhanced a little.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lycaste skinneri alba.

I am fortunate to have a Guatemalan crew to take care of my yard. They do excellent work. I asked them about Monca Blanca. They all knew about it. They told me it was very special. They said it was plentiful too. One of the crew knew the dialect name. I asked if there were some growing in the same climate as mine, they said yes. So now it is on my list...

p.s. I've read that skinneri is a plant at altitude. But there are other lycaste that will tolerate my climate. I think.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 14:28

o

I grow it warm and fairly moist, water every 2 to 3 days.

Nick

o

It is actually called Monja (nun) blanca, It is a very elegant plant, long green leaves with plump bulbs which may shrink later in their life. I have had success with this orchid, it loves humidity and little water,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here