Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinn_on

These Deer Need my Orchid Greens!

carolinn_on
15 years ago

Four deer were grazing at the bird feeders today.

Here's 2 pics showing deer gazing at the sun room window. I really think at least one of them would walk right in if I opened the door!

Carol

Comments (8)

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

WOW Carol, he is totally eying that salad bar you have there. Be careful! :) Thanks for the photos...and what is that spiky thing - is that a brassavola of some kind? What a huge plant!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

He really does look like he's window shopping for something tasty - kind of like one of us walking by a bakery window. It's very cool and yet kind of unnerving at the same time. What if he decides to go for it??

I was staying at a cabin in Northern MN and all of a sudden this adorable bear cub was standing there, looking through a patio window. We all thought it was just the neatest thing until I realized if baby bear is out there so is mama bear. Mom could come in if she wanted to. Mom could do just about anything she wanted to.

Kevin

• Charm
    15 years ago

How cool! I see deer on my property...the large dogs keep them away.~Charm

• raphael_toronto
    15 years ago

Looks like you get some interesting visitors Carol! Nice plants also. You and Kevin came to mind yesterday when my friendly neighbourhood black squirrel dropped by for bread crumbs. Isn't life funny?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

raphael - You should post a pic of your friend. We all luv squirrels!

Kevin

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calvin, that is my Brassavola nodosa. :)

Oh no Kevin...I didn't mean to sound ominous..but you could be right. Now I'm imagining all 4 deer crashing through the windows and eating my orchids, then whomping down the basement for more...I can hear the hoofbeats... What really gets me concerned though is that dh keeps feeding the monstrous squirrels (he really means to feed the birds). Can you imagine after 2-3 years on a diet of peanuts and sunflower seed, how large their progeny would grow? I recoil at the thought. They are enormous now, not like the pretty red squirrel(s) they're crowding.

Charm, I actually enjoy those deer, but am shuddering to think they're going to steal the first mesclun crop of the summer...dh is already thinking of a fence!

Raphael, I'm glad that squirrels remind you of Kevin and me. :P I may be delusional, but I think those big squirrels hitched a ride with us on our trips to TO a few years ago. Wish they'd turn black like the ones you have...they look so pretty in black.

If Raphael chooses not to post any pics of his squirrels, I got a photo of both the deer and L'il Red (this is what I call our cute LITTLE squirrel).

Kevin, make sure you don't eat those squirrels. They're very high in cholesterol.

Squirrels rule! (They really do).

Carol

• raphael_toronto
    15 years ago

Is there a squirrel related forum on here? LOL. I keep the ends of my bread loaves and i scatter the pieces for the sparrows to feast on in my backyard. Usually, the sparrows are descending on the crumbs within moments but lately it seems they are nowhere to be found. So there was a nice 'black stallion' squirrel feasting away on whole wheat bread and romaine leaves with only a solitary sparrow nearby who was happy to have his share of crumbs! I'll do my best to get a picture.

• sambac
    15 years ago

May be the deer can threaten your non blooming 'chids- cute picture!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz