Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Masdevallia are coming too.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:36

Not to be forgotten, they are becoming active. The coccineas will bloom much later but many others will go now and in the next couple of month. This is Masdevallia McInnes Golden Heart, a very large well formed one with deep rich yellow. One of my favorites.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Masdevallia are coming too.

It's wingspan is 8"

Nick

o

On the tiny side, Masdevallia hirtzii, a deep orange. These are all cool growing cloud forest plants from Central to South America.

o

Madsdevallia mendoza xanthia. The regular one has the same orange color as the preceding hirtzii. This is a yellow version.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Heathii 'Maximum' AM/AOs (veitchiana 4n ignea 4n). Back to the superlative, this one is even bigger than Golden Heart. The stalk is 16" tall. Very strong color, the result of the crossing of two 4n.

Nick

o

This shows how tall this one is. The tails are not as long as Golden Heart but the main body is much larger.

Nick

o

As always, impressive Nick...

o

Never knew they came in a trumpet shape too, but my fave is the Masdevallia Heathii 'Maximum' and Golden heart, mainly because of the crossed " legs" :>)

o

Masd Golden Bells (White Swallow x Sunrise) another good sized nicely shaped one. Should be a hardy hybrid able to grow in intermediate conditions.

Nick

o

Masd Bay Breeze 'Merlot' has deep purple colors. Photo does not do it justice. It is so deep velvety purple that one does not see the veins as they show up in the photo.
Nick

o

Masdevallia Ibanez-Behar 'Orange Manalishi', not overwhelming but when it makes a flush can be nice.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd calatura x erinacea.

Nick

o

Side view this one is mounted.

Nick

o

Masd amabilis x Peppermint. Lovely pastels.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd Maui Gold.

Nick

o

Masd Patricia Hill x Frasier.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd Whiskers.(veitchiana x glandulosa).

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Great series of photos and plants.
Have you ever thought of using a tripod ?????

o

Just beautiful!

Just got Maui Gold. Are you growing it cool? Is it supposed to be intermediate?

When I moved to Florida, I took 4 along because they were supposed to be intermediate, but they failed, even though I kept them indoors under AC. I was heartbroken because they grew so well in NY and were a good size. I thought they might have a shot. Swore off them until now. I'll give it my best.

Nick, it appears you have a lot of Masds. You must have the conditions down. Please share,

Jane

o

Tripod is an excellent idea but does not work with cell phones. I have a very elaborate non-electronic camera set-up with macro lens and macro flash but never made the hyperjunmp to electronics. Have an electronic camera but need to get my kids to teach me the computer part. I am being shamed to finally do it.

Jane, there is no simple trick, I spent years unsucessfully trying to growing Masdies, Pleuros, Bulbos and Dracula. finally about 6 years ago I built a greenhouse, 1/2 warm, the other 1/2 cold. Suddenly all these genera become easy.

The cold GH is kept at 80% humidity with an RO water fed humidifier. A swamp cooler keeps it below 80F during the day and below 55F for about 7 hours at night.. A heater keeps it above 55F in the winter. I water almost daily with RO water. It is shaded with 60% aluminet and between July and October I add an additional layer of 30% aluminet.

The warm GH has the same humidity. A heater is set at 70F and a swamp cooler goes on when 90F is reached.

It sounds complicated but other than the manual watering, everything is automatic and requires no effort. For me the orchid hobby took an entirely new dimension with these greenhouses. All kinds of genera became easy which were difficult or impossible before.

SOCAL goes up to 100F every summer, Dracula and Masdies don't like this, in the winter we go down to the low 30s. No way to successfully grow Bulbos in that.

Once the pieces were in place everything became easy.

Nick

o

Masd amabilis x Peppermint, picture taken with a REAL camera.

Nick

o

Better shot of Whiskers.

Nick

o

The coccineas are beginning to stir. Several are in bud their season is approaching. This is Masd Red Flamingo (white to yellow). Red Flamingo can be anything from pure white to deep purple. Its a cross between the beautiful Rubicon and coccinea. Rubicon is a cross between coccinea and Heathii which is a cross between ignea and veitchiana. Fair amount of DNA being mixed together here. This particular Red Flamingo is one of the less attractive ones, much better are coming.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Beautiful plants, beautiful photography!

I especially love that Masd amabilis x Peppermint. What a gorgeous color and shape. So elegant.

Jane

o

With all these wonderful orchids and good photos, I'm beginning to think, I might miss the Easter weekend orchid show last of the season.
:> Just kidding.
Thank you for having time to show your lovely blooms.

o

Masdevallia really come into their own when they have 10 flowers or more. Takes years to get there. This is Whiskers, had to take the picture at my daughter's who kidnapped the plant one month ago when it had a few flowers. I guess the kids have learned how to look after them.

That camera has a mind of it's own, fully automatic, seems to think certain lightening and coloration is appropriate. The flowers sort of look like that but not as contrasting. It was taken in the evening so I guess that's what the almighty camera thinks it should look like.

Nick

o

Her's is Masdie Jelly Belly (triangularis x veitchiana). with a name like that I could never get it past the species types. Nice never the less.

Nick

o

The plant.

Nick

o

Love Whiskers and I think Jelly Belly name is cute, on the fun side for all the serious names .

o

A much better picture of Jelly Belly which will become one of my favorites, really cute and seems willing to work real hard.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Falcat 'Ruby'. Very strong red, tall stem, got it from Hawk Hills. The Falcatas are primary hybrids off coccinea and veitchiana. Since there is a wide variety of coccinea in existence, Falcatas can also vary widely.

Nick

o

Masd Celtic Frost. Quite a difference from the 'in your face' Falcata.

Nick

o

This one is supposed to be warm tolerant.

Nick

o

Profile.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Copper Angel 'Highland' AM/AOS (Copper Angel x glandulosa). This one has a very strong color, comes in yellow/burnt orange and other colors. Guess a very diverse ancestry.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd virgo-cuensae found in Columbia and Ecuador is definitely a cold grower.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Bay Breeze 'Merlot'. A deep red/purple.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Wow, that velvety Merlot and the pastels!!!!
So beautiful and also makes my heart ache having grown them years ago and not working towards creating the optimal conditions they needed. Ive a feeling that RO water really makes difference.

o

Masd hirtzii, again this time a little more in focus.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

One more.

Nick

o

Masd veitchiana 'Goliath'. The results of many years of breeding by John Leathers of Hawk Hills. A huge veitchiana on a 16" long stalk.

Nick

o

Not only huge, also very big.

Nick

o

Masd demissa a small cool grower from Costa Rico.

Nick

o
RE: The Masdevallia are coming too.,

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd coccinea 'Snowbird' x vietchiana 'Pacific Giant'. Snowbird is white, I'm surprised it has as much color as it does.

Nick

o

1/2 side view.

Nick

o

Spectacular! I love your collection.

Jane

o

Masdevallia Falcata (coccinea 'Terry' x veitchiana 4n). Since coccineas come in all colors and since every Falcata is a cross between a coccinea and a veitchiana, Falcatas can come in all colors.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Ted Kehoe 'Tom' a cross between constricta and welischii made many times over and has garnered many awards. One of the most popular orange hybrids. I remember clearly that this was one of my first 'real' orchids after I got finished buying Phalies and Cymbidiums from the big box stores and how disappointed I was when I killed it.

Nick

o

Side view. Neither picture does it justice as the flower is nicer than the photos manage to show it. The side view however does hint at the bluish fine fuzz present inside the flower which is so striking. Very subtly but hard to miss.

Nick

o

Love the vibrant colours of the last three.

o

I'm such a fan of the more compact orchids (partly due to necessity: apartment dweller), and I love Masdevallia. Yours are just stunning, Nick!

I got an intermediate from a presenter at one of my orchid society meetings (Masd. discoidea), and it weathered the winter really well, growing two more leaves. Now there's new growth popping out all over. They're quite pretty, even when not in bloom. This is not the case for many orchids. Someone else at the meeting brought in theirs to show; I can't remember the name, but it was orange and gorgeous. I think a cold-tolerant orange Masdevallia is in my future.

o

The Masdevillas are so beautiful.I love the red one, it's truly lovely.Are they only cool growing orchids?

Allymarie

o

If you go to the Ecuagenera web site you'll see the temperature requirements listed for all of their Masdevallias. The range is from warm to cool. With hybrids one needs to search out the parents.

This is Masdevallia Paul Martinod which is a cross beween coccinea alba (cool) and exquisita (intermediate). One could therefore give this one a try in less than cool environments.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masdevallia ionocharis, cool grower only found in southern Peru. This is not a big plant, you are seeing 1/2 of it, but after I shot the pictures, I took a small division from it and mounted it. I do that with all of my plants so that if something happens to one, I have the other as backup. It slows the big plant down in reaching specimen size but I think it's a good idea and has saved me from loosing a plant more than once.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Side view. Small but cute.

Nick

o

The whole plant. The division was not 1/2 of it but a group of 4 leaves that separated easily. I year from now it will be a decent plant, The reason I talk about this is that I take these 'Insurance' divisions not only from big plants but even relatively small plants as long as I feel I don't really hurt them.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Aquarius, a cross between davissii and urosalpinx, has an intense deep color that is hard to match. Medium sized flowers.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Another view, too pretty to set down.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Mandy (Monarch (veitchiana x macura) x chaparensis) is a showy hybrid that stands up straight without help. Strong, straight stem keeps the flower above the leaves.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Falcata 'Carmine'. They are going crazy seems to be their time.

Nick

o

Side view, heavy substance to the flower.

Nick

o

Love all your flowering masdies. Masdevallia Falcata 'Carmine' looks very thick and waxy. Your close-ups are very good.

o

Masdevallia Jerry Edstrom 'Alek'. Another very complex hybrid.

Nick

o

Profile.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Masdevallia (discolor x Heathii).

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Wow!!! Just Wow!!!

Nick, I made some switches to my masdie routine last year based upon some things you were doing (clay pots, orchiata, regular watering...). I've got a couple in flower, but pretty dismal compared to your line-up... You always give me something to strive for :-)

I really like the coccinea and vietchiana crosses, but I think they are a little too cool loving for my conditions right now though. Do they grow in the cool GH?

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

o

I grow them all in the cool greenhouse even though some are definitely intermediate. The only switch I made recently is to substitute 3/8"lava rock for perlite. John Leather from Hawk Hills, a master Masdevallia hybridizer, made that switch as he feels the orchiata will outlast the perlite. So I mix 2/3 orchiata to 1/3 3/8" lava rock for my standard medium. Still sphagnum Moss for small plants until they get rolling.

Nick

o

Mary Staal. Another complex hybrid where one needs to look at the flower in order to know what you are getting. Mine is a conglomeration of pastels, Hawk Hills sells one which is nearly white.

Nick

o

Masd John Tomasche x Annette Hall, another complex hybrid.

Nick

o

Masd Golden Bells (White Swallow x Sunrise), posted a fuzzy picture of it in the beginning of this thread. It's been blooming ever since. Here is a better photo of this lovely hybrid.

Nick

o

Side view (partial at least). One of my favorites, hardy grower.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Falcata 'Marigold'. Falcatas are so complex that they can be any color.

Nick

o

Side view. A large flower carried on a strong, erect stem that does not need staking.

Nick

o

Lovely strong colours.
Neat crossed legs too. :>)

o

Masdevallia ignea (Royal Blood x Ruby). One of my favorites, dorsal lip always stays flat.

Nick

o

Masd. unituba 'Rosie'

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masd Heathii 'Elena'

Nicki

o

Side view. There is another Heathii show above somewhere, different clone, a little different.

Nick

o

Amazing colors, shapes and photos! Joanne

o

Love the jewel colours

o

Masd Cheryl Stroham 'The Babe' (M Xanthino-veitchiana x M Redwing). Nice strong color, complex hybrid.
\ Nick

o

Masd Fushia Dawn #1

Nick

o

Another view of M Falcata 'Marigold'

Nick

o

Another view of M Aquarius.

Nick

o

Love the strong and neon colouring.

o

Masdevallia Rise and Shine, another complex hybrid. I cannot find the parentage. Very distinct lines.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Masdevallia Maui Star (guttata x tenovii). A cute little yellow one.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Nice bloom.

I see your trying for the 130 limit post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here