Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Den sulcatum

whitecat8
15 years ago

A few weeks ago, I got this one in spike. Light, delicate scent.

Whitecat8

Comments (12)

• pook_ut
    15 years ago

Oh now I'm kicking myself for not having ordered one from Orchids Ltd! Dang that's nice!

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

congrats
    Mine isnt spiking yet. How big is yours?

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Orchidguy, if I straighten up the main growth, it's about 18" tall. 11" wide, including the smaller growth. The "pom poms" are about 4.5" in diameter.

Last year, I got a smaller size that wasn't in spike. Maybe I kept it too dry because new growths kept getting stuck, and I had to slit them open, and the ones that made it are stunted.

How big is your plant? Has it spiked before?

Pook - OLtd's still got'em! Heh heh. That's where this one came from. Want me to go pick one out for them to send to you? Heh heh.

Whitecat8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I've wanted this one for a long time. It's beautiful!

Clackamas has these for $7.50 - seedling size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clackamas

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kev, thanks for the compliment & the info.

This big ol' thing had 3 spikes and was $35. After my mistake w/ the non-blooming size plant, I justified the $$ by planning to put both plants in the same pot when blooming's over. That way, I won't be increasing the total # of orchids.

Nevermind - that doesn't even make sense! :) Orchid folks can get so hazy...

WC8

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Maybe the non-bloomer will take the hint!

That's a beauty...reminds me of the wild marsh marigolds, one of the first signs of spring here.

Carol

• pook_ut
    15 years ago

Have to ask how long the blooms lasted?

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pook, two of the three "pom-poms" are still mostly ok but w/ petals a little crinkly. All flowers opened on 2/26/09, and the plant's been in the cooler living room most of the time.

I'll post on OSF, too. OLtd said last Sat. that theirs had been going for 3 weeks then, and they kept them "moist at the roots" and had them in bloom for 2-3 months.

Before the "moist at the roots" message arrived, I'd heard only "moist" and may have overwatered.

Do these things teach us patience, or what?

WC8

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Beautiful plant - I really like Den sucaltum :)
    Olya

• bolero
    15 years ago

Surprisingly this is a new plant to me, it's wonderful and I will have to add it to my wish list.

Does it require warmth?

• Charm
    15 years ago

gorgeous!~Charm

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Olya & Charm.

Bolero, it's an intermediate grower. When it started blooming, I put it in the slightly cooler living room to keep flowers going longer. 14.4C night - 18-24C day, depending on direct sunlight through E/SE sliding glass doors.

Pook, the flowers lasted about 12 days, if I squinted my eyes just right. :) Truly, it was within the 7-10 days in everyone's experience but OLtd's.

WC8

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts