Comments (19)

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A close up.

• inga007
    11 years ago

Lovely show, it looks very "happy".
    I like the pink and cream? "boggies" in the background too.
    It looks, as if you have many more orchids blooming too.

• ianbrazil
    11 years ago

Shirley, I think I've mentioned this before. This is is Dend.chrysotoxum not aggregatum. - Ian.

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lan, I just go by the tag on the plant. I have looked up both and don't know how to tell the difference. I am sure you have a lot more orchid experience than I so please explain.. shirley

• birding_nut
    11 years ago

Very nice! Mine is just opening two spikes...a first time bloomer for me. Yours is great!

BN

• tucker_sp
    11 years ago

A beautiful plant, whichever it is! I have had a D. aggregatum for many years, and it has never successfully bloomed for me - the spikes always start out well, then abort when they are a few inches long. I sure wish I knew why.
    Tucker

• ianbrazil
    11 years ago

I'm no botanist, but in this case you don't need to be one. Dend. aggregatum is a very small plant, almost a miniature. Mine grows on a plaque about the size of a postcard. It has very small, crowded (aggregatum) pseudobulbs, about the size of your little finger nail, the flowers are also a lot smaller than chrysotoxum and darker yellow. If you have a look at a few photos (mine is not in flower currently) you will see the difference. - Ian.

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lan, Thanks. That infomation really helps. I now understand the diffeence. shirley

• birding_nut
    11 years ago

Actually, what Ian is describing sounds like Dendrobium aggregatum var. jenkinsii...which I think is now considered Dendrobium jenkinsii and is indeed a true miniature. Mine is labeled as Dendrobium aggregatum (lindeyi) and was purchased from Andy's Orchids who also sells. D. chrysotoxum, D. jenkinsii, and D. ejerii so I am guessing they have deteremined which is which (?). My D. aggregatum is a medium size plant with pseudobulbs about as along as my pinky finder and about leaves that are again as long, thick, and paddle shaped. I have some pics of mine on my camera at home I need to download then will post.

BN

• birding_nut
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of my Dendrobium aggregatum. First time for me to bloom it in the house and a rather young plant but happy with the display.

BN

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

birding_nut, I think mine might be the same as yours. The psuedo bulbs are about 3 1/2' long and the leaves about 5" I just grow it because I think it is pretty and am not really into proper names but guess I should be if I'm going to show it in the gallery. Thanks everyone for the interest and the compliments. It is still just as pretty today as when it first opened.

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It had a long bloom period but the flowers are shedding today. I have really enoyed the flowers. and look forward to next year.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Shirley, I am like you. Names escape me as do the tags!

Please share how you grow this one. I purchased one a few months ago and understand I need to withhold water starting in November. How do you manage the water situation?

BTW, beautiful plant, I hope I get as lucky as you,

Jane

• shirley-z-8-tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi JaneI As you can see I grow this one in a basket. I stop watering on Thanksgiving and start again about middle of January, Because of warm days I did lightly spray the leaves a couple times this year but didn;t in years past. and it had blooms both times.

• aztcqn
    10 years ago

Those are such a cute flowers! So pretty.
    I may try growing one of these again.

I believe this is dendrobium chrysotoxum. This is also what comes up on the net in dozens of pics when I Google den. chrysotoxum.

5th year blooming in my yard. I don't baby my orchids so this one is indeed tough.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, May 26, 13 at 5:27

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Second the comments about Dend jenkinsii. I have it growing next to Dend aggravatum (this is what I call aggregatum as it aggravates the h--- out of me). Jensinkii is less than 1/2 the size of aggregatum but the flowers were very similar. I had the 2 in bloom side by side and there was very little difference in flowers.

The flowers looked so much bigger on jesinkii because they were huge in relation to the miniature plant but if you put them side by side with aggregatum, they were nearly identical, jensinkii being a little smaller. At least on my 2 plants, I'm sure there is variation. I have 4 of the aggravating aggregatums, only one bloomed but it put on a fine show.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Dendrobium aggrgatum is no more. It's been rename Dend lindleyi. As I said I have 4 Dend aggregatum, 3 I have renamed Dend lindleyi and one is now Dend jensinkii. Usually one, maybe 2 will bloom in the spring but this is a bumper crop year, 3 will have bloomed.

Dend jensinkii is now open and lindleyi has a spike. Another lindleyi bloomed some time ago. This will give a perfect opportunity to compare the two. Here is jensinkii hanging from a coconut which houses lindleyi. The pbulbs of one are 3 to 4 times the size of the other. The spike of lindseyi will be 4 times longer than jensinkii.

I think they will be open at the same time. I think lindseyi will be more yellow while the jensinkii will be more orange.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

A close up of Dend jensinkii. This is an old plant that has bloomed several times. Never more than 3, max 4 flowers per inflo. You are looking at 2 separate spikes here, very different from lindleyi.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

the Dend aggregatum now lindleyanum has opened. it is more yellow has more flowers per spike and the spike is much longer 4" to 5" before the first flower.

Nick

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting