Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dend. tobaense

Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 0:35

I possibly have not been more excited about getting a plant to flower in my care. If anyone else is growing this one and has cultural tips, let me know...I don't want a one hit wonder!

(More)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dend. tobaense

Wow, what an incredible bloom. I'd have not thought it to be a dend had I only seen the bloom. Reminds me of Aeranthes Grandiose with a more beautiful lip.

o

the lip is so firy and stunning!!!
Great growing

o

I still want to grow one of these one day. Alas, I really don't have room for it. I can only fit in the tiny ones, which are fun, but I would love to have a bloom like that around!

o

Nice! I recently acquired one, and when it decides to bloom, I hope it looks as beautiful as this one!

o

Thanks for the great comments and checking out this fascinating orchid. Q - it doesn't get TOO large although it is larger than some of those little things like abberans and rigidum. This is one of those things which I probably don't have enough room to grow, and yet grow anyway :P

o

That is amazing...how unusual. How are you growing it?

Jane

o

A beauty!~Charm

o

Jane - it's mounted on a pad of moss on treefern. Doesn't grow too many roots, so once they rot, you're screwed...I have two others in small clay pots with sphag, just to experiment which method works best. Unlike other dends, this one really doesn't dry out, except maybe a bit in the winter just to stop things from rotting.

Pssst Orchidweb now sells this (enabler)

o

Wow! Just everything about that flower is stunning - the colors, the shape, the texture. That's a nice one.

Kevin

o

Really nice pic! I posted one of mine back in Feb., with some others. I grow mine in sphag in a pot with holes in the sides. Never dries out completely. It is just finishing up making new growth now, and the new canes are already producing buds. At the same time, last year's single cane is producing a couple of new buds - this is its 3rd time blooming. An easy and very gratifying plant! I'll put a link to mine, and post new pics when it blooms.
Tucker

Here is a link that might be useful: D. tobaense, with other orchids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here