Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Phalaenopsis Equestris var. Orange

jane__ny
10 years ago

Have this about 5 years. Got hit with Thrips and I almost lost it.
{{gwi:1106768}}

Comments (15)

• inga007

Very pretty and delicate.

• inga007

Very pretty and delicate

• inga007

• inga007

Very pretty and delicate

• inga007

• inga007

Very pretty and delicate

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Well I am glad that you saved it. It is very pretty. I hope that my flower spike eventually hold as many flowers are yours holds. My equestris only holds about 5 open flowers at a time. I bought it as a small seedling 4 years ago so your is more mature.

• marilyn_fl
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you,
    This plant has been blooming for a few months and has lost many flowers since then. I'll see if I have a shot from Feb showing more flowers.

Greencurls, I will eventually cut the spikes off. I don't like it with just flowers at the ends of the spikes. At that point I cut them off at the base. It always spikes again in the winter.

Jane

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Hi Jane - About how many flowers do your spikes hold at their peak? Mine has been blooming since February but even at peak bloom I only get 5 flowers at a time.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know why my pic disappeared, Photoshop has changed and somehow my pictures are now missing.

Greencurls, I'm not sure, it does have a lot of flowers. Can't find my older pictures right now. I counted one spike having approx. 20 flowers. If you look at the picture, you can count where flowers have fallen off. See the little node-like things.

It sends up fairly long spikes and begins to flower. How many at once? - didn't count, not sure. Certainly more than 5, probably 15+ per spike?

{{gwi:1106769}}

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Jane, I love this one! You never cut anything down till its
    brown! Lol

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Aruthur.
    The funny thing about this plant, it is quite small yet throws these long spikes which just keep going. By end of May, its time to send the spikes to the compost pile.

Even if I mounted it, the spikes would be down to the floor by June. Also, the spikes started branching, which I don't remember it doing before. Maybe the thrips scared it ;-)

Jane

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Here is Phal. Nancy Am x equestris. Still alive after the chc disaster and i am hoping for blooms soon.
    Love the registered name Phal. Tinkerbell's Fairy Dust. Nearly show season here and i will be on the lookout for a few Phal. species. Thanks for posting the pic.

This post was edited by arthurm on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 2:54

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is beautiful, Arthur. Love the name! Does the flower have that sparkly finish to it?

Please post a picture if you get blooms.

Jane

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert