Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phalaenopsis Equestris var. Orange

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 0:37

Have this about 5 years. Got hit with Thrips and I almost lost it.
 photo 94241C2C-5EF9-442C-B8A5-C5C35E1DDDAD-13572-00000A1E65DA26C6_zps6a291f46.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phalaenopsis Equestris var. Orange

Very pretty and delicate.

o

Very pretty and delicate

o

Well I am glad that you saved it. It is very pretty. I hope that my flower spike eventually hold as many flowers are yours holds. My equestris only holds about 5 open flowers at a time. I bought it as a small seedling 4 years ago so your is more mature.

o

Very pretty!

o

Thank you,
This plant has been blooming for a few months and has lost many flowers since then. I'll see if I have a shot from Feb showing more flowers.

Greencurls, I will eventually cut the spikes off. I don't like it with just flowers at the ends of the spikes. At that point I cut them off at the base. It always spikes again in the winter.

Jane

o

Hi Jane - About how many flowers do your spikes hold at their peak? Mine has been blooming since February but even at peak bloom I only get 5 flowers at a time.

o

I don't know why my pic disappeared, Photoshop has changed and somehow my pictures are now missing.

Greencurls, I'm not sure, it does have a lot of flowers. Can't find my older pictures right now. I counted one spike having approx. 20 flowers. If you look at the picture, you can count where flowers have fallen off. See the little node-like things.

It sends up fairly long spikes and begins to flower. How many at once? - didn't count, not sure. Certainly more than 5, probably 15+ per spike?

photo null_zps1e58c805.jpg

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 4:59

Jane, I love this one! You never cut anything down till its
brown! Lol

o

Thanks, Aruthur.
The funny thing about this plant, it is quite small yet throws these long spikes which just keep going. By end of May, its time to send the spikes to the compost pile.

Even if I mounted it, the spikes would be down to the floor by June. Also, the spikes started branching, which I don't remember it doing before. Maybe the thrips scared it ;-)

Jane

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 2:25

Here is Phal. Nancy Am x equestris. Still alive after the chc disaster and i am hoping for blooms soon.
Love the registered name Phal. Tinkerbell's Fairy Dust. Nearly show season here and i will be on the lookout for a few Phal. species. Thanks for posting the pic.
Phalaenopsis Nancy Am x equestris

This post was edited by arthurm on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 2:54

o

That is beautiful, Arthur. Love the name! Does the flower have that sparkly finish to it?

Please post a picture if you get blooms.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here