Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maxillaria richii

Posted by scott361 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 4:59

This was one of my first of this species.
I got it in '06.
It bloomed once, then I almost lost it.
This is the first blooming since the recovery!
Maxillaria richii_01
I was looking at my original photos of the last bloom.
I had just jumped in over my head with my new camera and my photos really left something to be desired.
This photo was taken with the exact same setup when I first got it.
Same lens and everything...
I guess that I've improved, almost, by accident.
Maxillaria richii_Early/lousy photo attemps
Things have become somewhat better since then! ;~)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maxillaria richii

You are getting quite a Max collection. Good growing! Do you mind me commenting on a technical problem with the close-up shot, which I sometimes experienced as a beginner to 35mm ? Only part of the flower is in focus. This may be because you were using a wide aperture in low light. Try using your smallest aperture, f22 to f32 and a long time exposure - you may need a tripod - to compensate. It will increase the depth-of-field. With wide apertures, f8 or less, the depth-of-field is very narrow in tight close ups, often less than 1mm.Increasing the ISO value to 800 also helps if you have to hand hold. Dont use 1600, however, as sometimes this can make the picture grainy.

o
RE: Maxillaria richii

I do use a tripod, Ian.
Even that lousy second photo was done using one!:~)

If my sequence of photos was vague, the first one was taken yesterday and the second one was from a year plus, or so, ago.
My point was that my photos have improved so much since then and how, given time, anyone can get better.
Even without training, just lots of practice.
I know that I have much room for improvement, but I'm relieved at how much better they've become.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a recent one.
I'm also not sure how my Max collection is growing so much.
I don't agressively seek them out like I do some others.
It just sorta' happens! ;~)

Thanks
Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here