Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A bowl of Pleiones

Posted by michoice SW England (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 6:34

I believe the climate in parts of the UK must be similar to Formosa particularly during the winter which is why these orchids seem to be able to stand up to and even thrive in what ever the weather seems to throw at them. Calvin recently posted a nice variety of my bog basic clump and refered to Pleiones as the Crocuses of the orchid world which I think is a very good discription.

Pleione formosana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A bowl of Pleiones

They are beautiful and so healthy looking. Good job!!!! Tricia

o

Gorgeous!~Charm

o

Beautiful! I'm looking for one of these myself! Beautiful photo.

o

That's a fantastic Pleione display. I can't imagine how many bulbs/growths are in that pot.

Shaun

o

That's incredible!! Mine are really, really slow this year.

o

• Posted by bolero VIC Aust z9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 3:15

Beautifully cultivated! I generally stay away from them as the ones I see aren't anywhere near as well grown as yours. That is a wonderful display and an example to other growers.

o

Thank you all for your very kind remarks. I really can't take any credit for their cultivation. They have never been under a roof or received any protection from the weather and it can be very cold and wet here in the winter. They do come in for some watering and a little weak fertilizer during the summer. I imagine Pleiones would not be happy in consistantly warm conditions. Peter

o

WOW what an amazing show!! Thanks for posting - hopefully I'll get a clump half this size in time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here