Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinn_on

Coel. ochracea

carolinn_on
15 years ago

One of my favourite species. Very fragrant.

It would have had 2 more spikes if I hadn't have been so clumsy!

Carol

Coel. ochracea

Coel. ochracea

Comments (10)

• raphael_toronto
    15 years ago

Very nice Carol! Culture?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Really cool and really, really elegant.

Kevin

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Oh Carol this one of my all-time favorite coelogynes!! Thank you so much for posting...yours is beautiful. I cannot wait to smell the fragrance. Mine is in spike right now for the first time after 2 years and I can't wait to see it bloom:

...do you start watering it more right now? Higher light and warmer? I'd love to hear cultural tips and how you take care of yours, as mine seems to be sulking a bit...

• jemsta
    15 years ago

Very pretty

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Very pretty blooms! Wish we could transmit fragrance.

Sheila :)

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Raphael, I grow it intermediate-warm, with night temps a bit higher the last 6 weeks or so.. being low to mid 60's. It started to spike about 3 months ago, and I watered more frequently then...and also applied a little fertilizer. It's in an eastern exposure window and potted in fir bark in a plastic pot. This is my second ochracea. I had one in my early orchid days and it didn't do well. The flower patterns were the same, but looked quite different in growth habit.The first one had grassy leaves, tall and with tiny blooms. still very fragrant and lovely. This one has much larger blooms. wider leaves and compact growth. Love it!

Cal, I was really excited to see your other Coel. in bloom, as you likely know already. :) It's funny...we both had rather similar experiences with our Coels... and I also demolished spikes (2). I didn't know these were flower spikes until about 2 weeks ago. That's when the buds began to show, then they developed very rapidly. I watered mine more frequently when I first saw the spikes (about 3 months ago), and more when the buds began to show. Kept it in the same place and same temps.

Carol

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Raphael, I grow it intermediate-warm, with night temps a bit higher the last 6 weeks or so.. being low to mid 60's. It started to spike about 3 months ago, and I watered more frequently then...and also applied a little fertilizer. It's in an eastern exposure window and potted in fir bark in a plastic pot. This is my second ochracea. I had one in my early orchid days and it didn't do well. The flower patterns were the same, but looked quite different in growth habit.The first one had grassy leaves, tall and with tiny blooms. still very fragrant and lovely. This one has much larger blooms. wider leaves and compact growth. Love it!

Cal, I was really excited to see your other Coel. in bloom, as you likely know already. :) It's funny...we both had rather similar experiences with our Coels... and I also demolished spikes (2). I didn't know these were flower spikes until about 2 weeks ago. That's when the buds began to show, then they developed very rapidly. I watered mine more frequently when I first saw the spikes (about 3 months ago), and more when the buds began to show. Kept it in the same place and same temps.

Carol

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Carol. Did the 'sheaths' turn yellow on yours before popping open? And do you have this in any special humid conditions?

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Beautiful flowers...
    Olya

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cal, those 'sheaths' really intrigue me! Almost as if they are trying to protect the bloom, when it is even more delicate, so sweet! The first pics I took, I wondered why i didn't remove the pointed bamboo stick behind one of the flowers, when I noticed the dried 'sheath'! Today one of them fell off a fresh bloom, and it was still looking fresh itself.

It's quite dry in the sun room, so I would spritz the new growths and media with R/O water lightly every day or 2. It should do really well in your tank. :)

Correction: the media is not fir bark, but tree fern!

Carol

Sponsored