Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Cattleya warneri var coerulea

ifraser25
14 years ago

I hope I am right about this. I have had this plant for some time but this is the first time I can remember it flowering. It has also lost its label.

Comments (15)

• mondoruffo
    14 years ago

wonderfull!!!

• jank
    14 years ago

Wow!
    My husband would say THAT is an orchid, no matter what it's name is.

• highjack
    14 years ago

My warneri blooms reliably every spring - aren't you going into fall?

Gorgeous bloom and pic!

Brooke

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right Brooke, it shouldn't be flowering now. I'm assuming it is warneri, no-one so far has contradicted me. I'm just pleased to get some flowers after a long wait!

• dragon_kite
    14 years ago

It's gorgeous! So many blooms too! I love blue cattleyas, just lovely.

• highjack
    14 years ago

ifraser I guess I was trying to be polite and say I don't think you have a warneri. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but the season is wrong for the bloom.

I wish I had a better picture of my warneri but you will notice the shape and lip are totally different.

Here is a picture of a better match - this is Cattlianthe
    Sapphire 'Highjack' AM/AOS

A close up

and a full shot
    This is labiata bred to a primary hybrid but it is a closer match than a warneri.

There are two gentlemen on Orchid Board from Brazil and are VERY good at IDing catt species. If it is a hybrid they might even help there, particularly if it is a common hybrid in your area.

Whatever it is, it is gorgeous.

Brooke - note to self, get a better pic of warneri :>)

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

I blame El Nino!

• Charm
    14 years ago

Exquisite!...what ever it is!~Charm

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I am wrong. I had a nasty feeling I was. Another point that worried me was the absence of scent. Has to go down as another NOID...:~(

• triciami5
    14 years ago

It is beautiful, no matter what it is, but I know we always want to know what they are. I hope my blue one blooms that nice, I have had it for a couple of years and havent seen it in flower yet. Keep hoping. Tricia

• knick-knack
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers ifraser, it's a keeper!

It looks more like a hybrid because of its better shape (though flowers look a bit small for a C Warneri). It reminds me of either its a Blc Lois McNeil or one of the blue catt hybrids created by Ervin Granier...

-Harvey

• knick-knack
    14 years ago
  • ifraser25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion,Bryan,that it might be Cattleya Portia (C.bowringiana x labiata). I did not know there was a blue form of this, but bowringiana and labiata, apart from being very commonly grown species locally, both have blue (actually it's more lavender really) forms. The color, shape and form of the flowers on my plant are certainly very like bowringiana, so much so, that I'm now wondering whether it isn't Catt.bowringiana var.coerulea!

• knick-knack
    13 years ago

I'm still convinced that it might be C. Portia :) I googled for images of C. Bowringiana var coerulea and all pics indicates that it has cream-colored throat compared to the one you have which is more yellowish. Nevertheless, its very beautiful and IMHO a hard-to-find variety nowadays.

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

Wow, stunning

Whatever the name, it seems to likely have C. Bowringiana in it (though I am not convinced it is C. Bowringiana var coerulea itself) C. Portia is actually quite likely...

Beautiful