Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oncidiums

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 13:01

O)ncidium floridanum, a large warm grower from Florida and the Bahamas. Has anyone seen it in the wild? Jane, you need to go on an Easter Oncidium hunt.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oncidiums

The flowers.

Nick

o

Beautiful !!

o

Very pretty! This oncidium can get quite large.My neighbor gave me a piece of his years ago and it's now a huge basket.Every year I give pieces of it to friends or pot up here and there in my yard.This year it had lots of bracts loaded with flowers that's on their way out.A lovely orchid indeed.

Allymarie

o

That's something to look forward to. I just put it into a larger container maybitI should go all out and put it into a 16" wire basket so ti can grow and ramble at will.

I also have a huge Onc sphacellatum that sits on a mini tree, also has the potential of getting huge. Had 9 spikes but the rats did a number on it. 2 completely gone, 3 chopped , only 4 remaining unscathed. It's just getting started.

Nick

o

2 inflorescence.

Nick

o

2 flowers, very bright and showy.

Nick

o

Wilsonaria Pacific Panache 'Fireside Fever'. This is a small, mounted division that's blooming. Big Momma is sitting there sulking. I have noticed that when I have duplicate plants with one blooming and the other not, quite commonly it's the mounted one that is doing it.

Nick

o

ODCM Catante 'Pacific sun spots' a colorful hybrid. I had it for years and it has never bloomed until this spring it exploded with 9 spikes. One of them is open now. I think Jane has of these same history.

Nick

o

A few of the flowers.

Nick

o

It was so worth the wait Nick.

Allymarie

o

Onc sphacellatum is now fully open.

Nick

o

What a show! Like a giant bouquet.

Can you believe mine still hasn't bloomed? I moved it to keep the cat from laying on it, but nothing yet. The spikes just keep getting longer and longer. I just hope the cat doesn't break the spikes.

Just beautiful, Nick!

Jane

o

Now they are all open. I have several Oncidiums but none equal the sphacellatum.

Nick

o

That should be in a show! Fantastic display.

How are you growing them?

Jane

o

Warm although they should be OK in the backyard. I know of people who grow them without heat in the winter.

Nick

o

Onc harrisonianum is now doing it's thing. Its a dainty small plant, flowers are less that 1/2" in size. Jay Phal outdoes himself as he describes the temperature preferences for this one. This is a 'cool to warm growing, lithophytic or epiphytic, cold to cool growing species is found in Rio de Janiero, Espiritu Santo, Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais, Brazil'. Oh well I grow it warm and it appears happy.

Nick

o

The flowers.

Nick

o

The plant, small enough to grace any window sill.

Nick

o

Oncidium onustum. Warm grower from Panama, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru was renamed Zellenkoa and now is back home again with the other Oncidiums. Cute little thing, first bloom.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Oncidioda Kilauea 'Vulcano Queen' HCC/AOS (Onc sphacellatum x Oncidioda Charlsworthii) a complex hybrid. More flowers coming.

Nick

o

The whole spike.

Nick

o

The ODCM Cathante is now about 1/2 open. It's all over the place really a chore to stake it correctly. With our 100F backyard temp I moved it back in the cold GH .

Nick

o

WOW, that is gorgeous! Love the colors.

Allymarie

o

Onc altissimum.

Nick

o

One flower.

Nick

o

Just beautiful. I grew some of your smaller plants in NY. All gone now.

My monster is finally starting to flower. Spikes are very long and I had to stake a few because 'crazy cat' decided they were fun to play with. I'll try to get a shot tomorrow. Maybe you can give me your knowledge of the variety.

Jane

o

Absolutely lovely , Nick.
I love the "dancing ladies" .

o

Odontocidium Catatante 'Kilauea Karma', very similar to the other katatante I posted but seems to be slightly different.

Nick

o

If anything the lip is slightly lighter, big deal!

Nick

o

I have one hybrid of Onc sphacellatum. Onc sphacellatum x Oda Pacific. Not as robust and overpowering a plant as sphacellatum but long, branched sprays with many flowers. The flowers are a bit larger because of the Oda influence.

Nick

o

A bunch of them.

Nick

o

Here are 2 sprays, it has 7 of them, some not open yet. Puts on quite a show.

Nick

o

That is a great show! And more to open...

o

Wow! Lovely show, but needs a lot of space.

o

Odontocidium Catatante 'Kilauea x Karma. Very similar to the other Catatante but different. Is this the one you have Jane?

Nick

o

One flower. Definitely a lighter brown than the other one.

Nick

o

Vulystekeara Aloha Sparks 'Ruby Eyes', a typical Vuyl, flowers on the small side.

nick

o

One flower.

Nick

o

Love that strong colour.

o

Burr Pacific Command 'Hiura Road'. First bloom on a young plant.

Nick

o

Side view, not too many flowers, hopefully next year it will do better.

Nick

o

Nice colours.

o

Wow! I'm loving the fireside fever. I'm just getting started with my collection and am finding a lot of inspiration here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here